Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My First Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2023 at 6:12am
Wow! beautiful work and craftsmanship. I've envious of your fabrication skills!
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2023 at 7:59am
Very Nice Clap
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2023 at 8:10am
Originally posted by 1980SN2001 1980SN2001 wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Looking at this picture I realize my efforts to install a temperatue warning light/buzzer have been thwarted by the sniper system... Unhappy

Consider your thwarted efforts to be "unthwarted" if that's a word Wink

See the yellow arrow pointing at a pipe plug in your water pump, that's a good spot to screw a temp switch into. The gt40 engines used that spot for the temperature sender for the gauge on the dash. It'll work just fine for your switch.

Genius, it is unthwarted! Thank you once again KENO!

Speaking of the kit you saw at nautiqueparts, here's the same thing from Sierra, the price isn't the same though.Wink

The Tee is easy to find also

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2023 at 9:08am
Nice work and great documentation!  Keep those little ones interested in the sport as we need more of that and less of the thumb and finger tapping video gamers!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
1980SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2023 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Damn fine job!!  You can be proud of your efforts and how the project came together.  Well done, lad.

Give us some feedback on the Holley Sniper EFI system.  I'm very curious...

JQ

Thank you JQ, I appreciate the kind words!

Sorry, to do this topic right it needs to be a long boring lengthy reply...

Full disclosure I did buy the remanufactured version of the Holley Sniper EFI system to save some money and so far it hasn't come back to bite me yet, fingers crossed. Confused

This being my first Ski Nautique I can't really compare the Sniper system to a carburated or GT40 Nautique but it seems to be working well. I went this route to avoid problems on the water. This boat needs to run perfectly all the time otherwise I will hear about it from my wife lol. Disapprove

It has been reliable so far. Initiallly when I first got it on the water it was having trouble keeping the AFR(air fuel ratio) near the target of 14. It would bog down and hesitate when I tried to accelerate. The unit comes with a small LCD screen where you can see the RPM, temperature and AFR. It would swing wildly from 10 to 40 when it should hover around 14 all the time including idle or accelerating. I struggled to figue it out but eventually decided to re-route the O2 sensor wire away from the coil and spark plug wires and that fixed it immediately. I am guessing the O2 sensor was getting some induction interference. I also forgot to install a pre-fuel pump filter so I did that, and I installed a fuel pressure guage at the inlet of the Sniper to help diagnose the problem. 

You can see in this picture the O2 sensor wire tucked up and away from the coil versus where I originally ran it between the valve cover and the coil.

The fuel guage came in handy about 4 months later as I was having some issues at high RPM. It seemed like it was cutting out and I couldn't reach top speed. I had my brother drive while I watched the fuel guage during hard acceleration and it was dipping down to 10psi from 56psi where it normally is. I changed the pre and post fuel pump fuel filters and it fixed the issue immediately. 

Also after I have lowered my idle to be around 650-750, sometimes it doesn't stay running for the first time on the water without pushing down the accelerator handle in neutral. What I mean is, it will start but die and to keep it running I give it some gas to rev it up initially then back to idle and it is fine from then on. If the idle is higher it will start and stay running everytime no problem but I don't like the high idle so I deal with it.

You would need to install a bulkhead fitting for the return line to the tank which was a little bit of a challenge. Luckily I already had the tank out and empty so that made it a lot easier. I would imagine anyone installing this setup would have to remove and drain the tank as well to install the bulkhead fitting to do it safely.

Holley does offer a system that does not require a fuel return line but it is expensive. I talked to someone I work with who put the Sniper and the return-less system on his Mustang and he said it was giving him lots of trouble and would shut down due to overheating issues. Just thought I'd mention that in case someone was considering that option.

You also need to install an O2 sensor in the exhuast stream. Nubf14 has also installed this system so I followed his lead and ordered the O2 sensor adapter from ebay as he suggests. The bolt holes will need to be enlarged to install on the PCM exhaust manifolds.

Or if you have the skills like DayTony you can cut and weld an O2 port like he did on this thread. Very nicely done!

As far as wiring goes its pretty simple. Positive and negative directly to the battery, negative coil wire, coolant temperature sensor, fuel pump positive wire, and a switched +12V source all of which are included in the harness. The positive and negative cables included in the harness were barely long enough to reach the battery in my Nautiqe and might not be long enough in the later bigger Nautiques.

The kit I ordered was the factory refurbished FR550-511 and the fuel system kit part # 526-7 which came with everything needed to install it including a fuel pump, all the fuel line, fuel line fittings, bulkhead return line fitting, hose clamps, fuel filters etc.

As was discussed in another thread some members on here including KENO helped me realize the hose kit that you can order with it is not USCG approved and I will need to replace all the hose which is about 20'.

Holley just released the Sniper 2 EFI system which appears to address some of the induction interference issues as well as add some features. I wanted to install the Holley Hyper Spark distributor so the Sniper could also control the timing but according to a technician I talked to at Holley you can not use their Hyper Spark distributor in a reverse rotation application even if I could get a RR gear for their distributor. Unhappy

The LCD screen cable is not long enough to reach the dash so I keep it coiled up on the engine when I am don't need to look at it. It would be nice if there was an extension so you could route it up to the dash. 

Because the Sniper system injectors fire randomly, the intake manifold you use has to have an open route to all 4 injectors. I used an Edelbrok Performer RPM intake which was a problem becuase the inlet port where the Sniper or Carburetor is mounted is divided down the middle. To avoid any issues I just removed the material of the divider using the mill at work. I can't say if it would have worked ok if I didn't do this because I did it before I assembled the engine. I ended up taking all of the divider out.

It sounds like FFIMarine is installing these units as well and seem to be having some success. I would recommend it and would do it again in a heartbeat. If this system starts giving me trouble I would consider buying the Sniper 2 system.
1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2023 at 11:08am
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Wow! beautiful work and craftsmanship. I've envious of your fabrication skills!

Thank you, but I really don't have any real fabrication skills. I kind of just dive in and hope for the best lol. LOL
1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2023 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Mpost Mpost wrote:

Very Nice Clap

Thank you Mpost, much appreciated.
1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2023 at 11:13am
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Nice work and great documentation!  Keep those little ones interested in the sport as we need more of that and less of the thumb and finger tapping video gamers!

Thank you fanofccfan and I totally agree, video games can definitely have a negative impact on kids! These boys are the main reason I got this Ski Nautique, to make lots of memories out on the water skiing, wakeboarding, tubing etc. Keep them off the couch and out of the house as much as we can. Big smile
1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2023 at 11:16am

Looking at this picture I realize my efforts to install a temperatue warning light/buzzer have been thwarted by the sniper system... Unhappy

Consider your thwarted efforts to be "unthwarted" if that's a word Wink

See the yellow arrow pointing at a pipe plug in your water pump, that's a good spot to screw a temp switch into. The gt40 engines used that spot for the temperature sender for the gauge on the dash. It'll work just fine for your switch.

Genius, it is unthwarted! Thank you once again KENO!

Speaking of the kit you saw at nautiqueparts, here's the same thing from Sierra, the price isn't the same though.Wink

The Tee is easy to find also

That is a significant savings, thank you again! How you know/find all this stuff boggles my mind lol. LOL
1980 SN Project
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2023 at 3:06pm
Sometimes it just boggles my mind how some of these outfits can charge the ridiculous way over suggested list price that they do for certain things........and feel good about themselves or sleep at night 

Sometimes some of the things I do, just boggle my wife's mind too  Wink
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2023 at 12:15pm
Just a little progress update. I have substantially completed my FCT2 wakeboard tower replica. I still need to clean it up and I want to paint it black, but I did get out to test it this weekend and it worked great. I know a lot of you are Correct Craft purist and I am not sure how you all feel about putting a wake board tower on an older Ski Nautique so if you’re one of these people divert your eyes lol! Shocked

…but it was the best option for my current situation as we do a lot of things with this boat including wakeboarding, skiing, and tubing. Here are a couple pics of the build process. Unfortunately I can’t post a lot of progress pics as I took all those pictures at my work. I chose not to go with the oval tubing on the tops and sides as it was cost prohibitive. Instead, I went with ½”x4” aluminum plate. I also made the Flight Clips out of 1/4x2” aluminum plate, which also aren't complete yet but will be soon.

I am fortunate to have access to a lot of tools at work so this made it all possible. I have experience bending tube and welding as well. This is the first time I welded aluminum and it was a steep learning curve, but I eventually got it to an acceptable quality level.

I ordered the bimini parts to modify my old bimini from https://towerbiminis.com/ to allow me to attach it to the tower. The fabric needs to be cut and sewn to get it to fit better. I also added a couple 6.5" marine speakers.

If I could do it over again there are few things I would do differently but overall I am pleased with how it turned out. Smile
1980 SN Project
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2023 at 4:45pm
Wow. Great read and some nice work!
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2023 at 11:01pm
Thank you samudj01, I appreciate the kind words. So many of you have such nice boats, you guys set a high standard to follow.
1980 SN Project
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2023 at 6:37pm
1980 SN 2001… reminds me of a 75 Tique

Great thread btw, thanks for sharing.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2023 at 9:10am
Thanks Hollywood. It is a small boat to be sure. Not knowing anything about these boats when I bought it, I thought it was a 2001, hence my username. More space would be nice but at the same time I wouldn't be able to fit a 2001 in my garage so a blessing in disguise I guess.
1980 SN Project
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2023 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Hmmm,  reminds me of a useful Hollywood comment.

But James, great work, great project, nice documentation.  Dont see as much of that here as we used to, so its nice to see.  Well done.

Also, his remark about a 75 Tique was not a commentary on the size of your boat.  He was just poking at me since I also have a user name of a non existent boat.  When I bought mine in 2004, I did not know that Ski Tiques were not a thing until 1976, but it was titled as a 75 and since I was a noob, I didnt know any better.  Oh well.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2023 at 10:56am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Hmmm,  reminds me of a useful Hollywood comment.

But James, great work, great project, nice documentation.  Dont see as much of that here as we used to, so its nice to see.  Well done.

Also, his remark about a 75 Tique was not a commentary on the size of your boat.  He was just poking at me since I also have a user name of a non existent boat.  When I bought mine in 2004, I did not know that Ski Tiques were not a thing until 1976, but it was titled as a 75 and since I was a noob, I didnt know any better.  Oh well.

Ahah, I understand! We do have that in common then lol. LOL

...and thank you 75tique, I appreciate the kind words.
1980 SN Project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic