Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM 302 bogging down

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
opers13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opers13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM 302 bogging down
    Posted: August-21-2023 at 9:04pm
Hello all - I have a 1980 302 Ski Tique, it has been running awesome for the past 2 years, specially after having the carb completely rebuilt.  So over the weekend we went out to take my son waterskiing and I completely neglected the fuel gauge....tank was pretty much empty...needless to say I had to call one of my neighbors to tow us back in.  So I figured I would get 5gl in the tank and get back out there..well not so fast.  It took forever to start the motor to the point I completely drained the battery.  She wouldn't start period.  Finally got her to start, idle was ok.. we get back out on the water and now she's bogging down and running rough.

I'm not sure whats going on...so I recall reading about fuel line collapsing?? Could that be the issue? Can I use a 5gl gas can to bypass the tank?

any other thoughts?  Like I said, she has been running awesome until running out of gas

thanks in advance!

Maine - 1980 Ski Tique
91NaughtyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2023 at 7:40am
My thoughts and I am not nearly as qualified as others, but have some insight on things I would check -
In my opinion It not starting was basically a dry fuel system in my opinion much like after winter storage.  That was most likely what was going on there since you ran out of gas...

Rough Idle and bogging down -  Could have been some bad gas you borrowed.  Fill it up and add Sta-Bil to it.  If there was water in the gas or anything else it could cause this.  

I would try that first.

Also check your plugs.  Not sure if they would foul during all this running out gas and many failed start attempts but worth a look.

If it bogs at first part of the throttle cycle check the accelerator pump diaphragm under the carb.

That would be the order of check points for me. 
1991 Ski Nautique
(Previous)1984 Ski Nautique 2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 7:07am
It ran great till you ran it out of gas and now it runs lousy.

It sounds like you sucked some junk in the tank into the anti siphon valve or into whatever filter you have in the fuel system and it's not getting enough gas under load.

The suction hose probably didn't decide to collapse at the same time you ran out of gas Wink

You could hook a portable tank to the fuel pump like you mentioned for troubleshooting. The tank needs to be vented so you don't draw a vacuum 

If it runs good on the tank, then your problem is before the fuel pump.

If it still runs bad, you probably got junk in the carburetor or the fuel pump itself.

PS..........an easy way to start an engine that ran out of gas is to squirt a little gas down the primary barrels of the carburetor, then turn the key. You may have to repeat it a few times till the engine stays running but it gets gas to the carburetor bowls a lot quicker this way.
About a tablespoon at a time is good and putting the flame arrestor back on each time keeps you safer

The fuel pump has a hard time sucking from the tank and filling the line to the carburetor when the engine is turning over slow without starting so the prime you give it, kicks the engine over and the pump is operating faster and sucks better
opers13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opers13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2023 at 4:08pm
Thank you @91NaughtyQ & @Keno for your replies.  turned out to be bad fuel...I drained the fuel that was in the tank and also replaced the fuel filter.  She ran rough for a good 15-20min then come back to life again running strong.  Took the opportunity to replaced the circulation pump to elbow hoses as well.  All good!  thank you as always.  I will be back with more questions at some point
Maine - 1980 Ski Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2023 at 7:49am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

PS..........an easy way to start an engine that ran out of gas is to squirt a little gas down the primary barrels of the carburetor, then turn the key. You may have to repeat it a few times till the engine stays running but it gets gas to the carburetor bowls a lot quicker this way.
About a tablespoon at a time is good and putting the flame arrestor back on each time keeps you safer

The fuel pump has a hard time sucking from the tank and filling the line to the carburetor when the engine is turning over slow without starting so the prime you give it, kicks the engine over and the pump is operating faster and sucks better

^^^^^^^^  Best tip ever.  This is how I bring my boat up after storing it for the winter and the key point *PUT THE FLAME ARRESTOR BACK ON CARB EACH TIME.  Don't ask me how I know about this.........
1991 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2023 at 7:49am
Glad you got it going.
1991 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic