Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Piston Ring End Gap

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Piston Ring End Gap
    Posted: July-30-2023 at 10:56pm
There's quite the difference of opinion on proper ring end gap so I thought I'd end this dilemma here.

Hypereutectic pistons +.030
Hastings rings
Stock build

Hastings lists a value of .0035 x bore size, so in that case it's .014, however there are many who claim that is too tight for comfort and I've see recommendations of .025 - .030 as a safety margin.

Appreciate your thoughts on this.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2023 at 3:45pm
I guess nobody wants to answer you Neil.

I figure you could look at the Hastings chart in the link below and use the "performance automotive" line and multiply the bore x.0055 and get .022 or use the "rrrrrrace engine" line and come up with .024

I don't think you have a rrrrrrace engine though Wink

There's not a .0035 multiplication factor anywhere on that chart.

NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2023 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I guess nobody wants to answer you Neil.

I figure you could look at the Hastings chart in the link below and use the "performance automotive" line and multiply the bore x.0055 and get .022 or use the "rrrrrrace engine" line and come up with .024

I don't think you have a rrrrrrace engine though Wink

There's not a .0035 multiplication factor anywhere on that chart.

Indeed it's not even close to a rrrrace engine. But it's odd cause I'm on their site and looking at the .0035 recommendation. However it is moot cause I'm not a risk taker and was considering 18-20 anyway. And thankfully you confirmed what I was hoping to hear!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic