NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'86 Silver, 350 GM Electronic Ignition

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JamoJones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamoJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '86 Silver, 350 GM Electronic Ignition
    Posted: July-20-2023 at 8:28am
Hi All,

I picked up another project (as described in Gen. Disc.), and had it out for a ride the other night.  All went well until it didn't.  Cruising at speed, idling around, just enjoying the first ride.  Anyway, idling along, it suddenly died...like you shut it off.  No sputtering or anything, just died.  I have fuel & air, no spark.  It has 12v to the ignition module, which happens to be an Accel Super Coil, # 140003.  I was thinking to just replace the cap, rotor, and the same Accel, but a fellow S/N Bud said I should be sure the P/O didn't install a non marine type ignition.

So...any thoughts on what I have or what I should go with?  The boat has only 504 hours on it and was running perfect at all speeds, top speed of 43  MPH.  Other than our Canadian fog, it was a beautiful evening to be out, even the tow back by friends was as good as it gets.  Just another adventure.

Thanks...
1986 Silver Nautique #49 of 82
1987 Ski Nautique 2001
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2023 at 8:41am
If the impedance of the coil was lower then the ignition module can handle, then the module will overheat, and fail entirely or during use.
there is no recovery after that, it will be unreliable.

See if the module is switching, can be as simple as a test light. 

Getting a new, matched , module and coil might be in order

Accel Super Coil, # 140003 is half ohm.  unless the module is smart and current limited, its too much current for it.  likely fried the module
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JamoJones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamoJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2023 at 9:04am
Thanks GS,

The existing ignition module is older(?) GM # 990-5L11.  I found the exact Accel 140003 w/matching cap & rotor on Speedway Motors.  They also offer an Accel ignition module as "what others order along with the 410003"  I would like to assume it would work with the above.  But...is there a difference for marine applications?  They do not mention that on their site.  I'll call with questions before I order, but they're in the business of selling stuff.  Guess that's why I'm here.

BTW: what do you recommend for spark plugs?

Thanks again...
1987 Ski Nautique 2001
JamoJones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamoJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2023 at 9:11am
Correction on first post...I should have said 12v to the Super Coil, not ig. mod....
1987 Ski Nautique 2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2023 at 10:09am
Originally posted by JamoJones JamoJones wrote:

a fellow S/N Bud said I should be sure the P/O didn't install a non marine type ignition.

With what you've written for part numbers, combined with the quote above, I figure your fellow SN bud is pretty smart.

I'll guess that you have an Accel or some other companies version of the GM HEI distributor that got put in some time over the years.

It's probably got a vacuum advance cannister hanging off of it..............that tells ya' that it's not a marine distributor.  I hope I'm wrong Wink

If that's the case, replacing it with a marine version of the HEI distributor would be the safe, smart thing to do.

Maybe you have a marine HEI with some Accel stuff in place of the original parts.

If you know how to post pictures here, now's the time to post a few of the distributor from different angles showing any labels/tags on the housing itself.

If you don't know how, read the thread about posting pictures in the link below. Read the last post dated 2/7/23 for posting pictures with a free IMGBB account.

Or read your PM's and you'll find a phone number that you could text the pictures to and an e mail address that you could send them to Wink

EDIT... I found some pictures in your recent posts, but you have a PM anyways.

If you want to figure out what your problem is, do a google search for "troubleshooting a GM HEI ignition system" and you can figure out if you have a bad module or bad coil or what your problem is.

If you end up needing a marine HEI distributor, Jonny Quest is the unpaid, totally biased spokesman for DUI distributors here on CCF and another place or 2 also. We'll wait for his sales pitch.

JamoJones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamoJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2023 at 11:00am
Thanks Keno,

No vacuum advance, the parts are zip tied together.  The mechanical advance works, but is sticky, the springs don't return it vary well...just needs a cleaning I believe.   I'll try to post a pic.

Thanks for the PM, I'll be back to you on that...
1987 Ski Nautique 2001
JamoJones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamoJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2023 at 11:27am
1987 Ski Nautique 2001
JamoJones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamoJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2023 at 11:34am
1987 Ski Nautique 2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2023 at 12:53pm
Looks pretty automotive (AKA non marine) to me.

No vent screens ............... and .a pretty we'll just say "not too good job" of getting rid of the vacuum advance and blocking off the hole where it used to go through.

It may work just fine after you fix the no spark issue, but it leaves you more vulnerable to an explosion in the case of a gas leak meeting the spark in the distributor

They meet under the cap then you have the big bang that could be avoided with a marine distributor Wink

In the marine version, there's a little pop that has it's energy dissipated by the brass vent screen(s)

Same principle as an old coal miner's lantern
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2023 at 1:11pm
Here's a picture of a DUI Ford marine distributor, you can see the locking plate that disables the vacuum advance and also around the inner circumference you can see the screen that covers 4 vent holes in the housing.

Not shown is the rubber seal that seals the gap over the locking plate where the cap sits on it

No zip ties either Wink

The vacuum advance is on opposite sides on the Ford and Chevy because they rotate in different directions and the weight arrangement is opposite from the Ford to the Chevy for the same reason.
JamoJones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamoJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2023 at 5:20pm
Thank you, Keno,

I'm officially putting out a request for Jonny  Quest.  I'd like to talk to you about my problem.  It looks like the best thing to do is to do it right and be done with it.  Do you sell the DUI's?  I did a search and found them, rather buy "locally" if I can.  Thanks...

1987 Ski Nautique 2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2023 at 6:11pm
Jonny's probably out in his new girly truck right now and won't see this for a while Wink

The DUI part number is M12720RD for one with a red cap, a blue cap version would be M12720BL and a black cap version would be M12720 BK. There are other color caps too.

You want a normal rotating distributor even though you have a reverse rotating engine. This is because the camshaft turns the same direction in a normal rotation Chevy and a reverse rotation Chevy, unlike Ford engines. It would make for a long discussion here, just say "I believe"

He doesn't sell them, he just thinks everybody should have one.

You may have a hard time finding one locally and even Summit, Jeg's etc have a delay for them to be shipped from DUI.

Here's a link to the DUI website with the right part number selected

Just remember, no RR gear needed or wanted and the only part number you want is M12720 with the color code after it like RD,BL, BK

Phone calls might be needed to check on availability at different places
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2023 at 6:22pm
And..........if you're feeling cheap, don't want to wait for a DUI to be made and shipped, here's an alternative on Amazon Wink

You can ignore any claims of huge power and economy increases in their advertising.

They come from that big country on the other side of the Pacific.

You could do some research on A Team Performance if you're interested

I have no experience with this distributor, just thought I'd mention that it's out there

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2023 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Jonny's probably out in his new girly truck right now and won't see this for a while Wink

Girly truck, indeed.  My husband drives it too!
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2023 at 2:57pm
JJ

I cut and pasted this quote from your other thread, just so somebody reading this would know what you did.

Glad it worked out Wink

Originally posted by JamoJones JamoJones wrote:

Hi Keno,
Just wanted to do a follow up on my boat.  I did purchase and install the knock off from the link you provided above.  We've been up north at our family camp for the last two weeks and did the repairs up there.  All is good, ran almost10 flawless hours with the C-KO.  I do believe I will cancel the JEGS order...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic