NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1986 Silver Nautique...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JamoJones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamoJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1986 Silver Nautique...
    Posted: July-13-2023 at 7:45am
So, I picked up another project I couldn't pass up.  It's #49 of 82 built, built in April of 1986. It has the Chevy 350, electronic ignition, with 503 hours on it.  We took it for a ride and it runs, shifts, and drives great.  That 350 sounds absolutely perfect, all quiet under the cover, and a great sound out the back.  The interior cleaned up well and it looks great from above.

Anyway, the hull condition is a bit disappointing.  I knew about the blistering, but it's worse than I expected.  There is some cracking too, just above the chines.  Supposedly all superficial, no structural concerns.  The stringers and floor are excellent with no flexing, cracking, etc.  The bilge was a bit oily but cleaned up easily.

My question is, what to do about the blistering.  I don't know if I should fair and paint it as I have with older fiberglass projects, or bite the big bullet and have the graphics and get coat completely redone.  Costs from friends who have had the S/N 2001 and Sport/N's done spent well over $3000.  Being such a rare boat, I don't want to do it any injustices.

Thoughts??   Thanks...
1986 Silver Nautique #49 of 82
1987 Ski Nautique 2001
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2023 at 11:26am
Given the rarity of that boat, I wouldn't think twice of a new gelcoat job, if that is what it takes. 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2023 at 2:49pm
Go for "patina" .............it's a lot cheaper.Wink

I think "well over" 3 thousand is kinda an underestimation for a metallic/metalflake silver complete gelcoat job. 

That would just lead to deciding to redo the floor/stringers and more money spent 'cause it would be silly to do the gelcoat and not the stringers no matter how good they seem from the outside.
JamoJones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamoJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2023 at 4:56pm
Redoing stringers later if needed wouldn't effect the new gelcoat, would it?  The bilge, engine and surrounding area looks great at this point.  I think I'll just put it in and enjoy a day on the water tomorrow...
1987 Ski Nautique 2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2023 at 7:55pm
Not knowing if you just like working on 2 project boats at the same time or maybe want to get some use out of one, I'd probably drive this one that runs for the rest of the summer while getting prices and figuring out how much you want to spend.

Stringers............everybody always thinks theirs are in great shape Wink

They could be done later after gelcoat work

Here's a link to a stringer job on a Silver Nautique

JamoJones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamoJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2023 at 9:46pm
Thanks Keno. We spent some time at our camp in the Adirondacks so not much has happened on the '87 for the last 3 weeks or so. I have a few things to do and then the engine can go back in.  I'll run the '86 as you said and see what pops up, hopefully nothing drastic.  Still want to get the '87 in this summer too.  I'll keep one, just not sure which one at this point.  The Silver sure has it's pluses...
1987 Ski Nautique 2001
JamoJones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamoJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2023 at 12:36pm
Just got the new gas line & check valve run in the '87, still have to figure out the adjustment on the new steering cable (getting more deflection to one side than the other).  Engine install is next.  I'm hoping it will be easy as the mounts have not been messed with...since I've owned it anyway..
We have a bunch of friends coming to ride with us so it looks like a party barge day.  Damn, I wanted to run the Silver...
1987 Ski Nautique 2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2023 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by JamoJones JamoJones wrote:

still have to figure out the adjustment on the new steering cable (getting more deflection to one side than the other).  

You need to loosen the 4 bolts on the steering tube clamp block so you can move the tube back or forward to even out your throw in each direction

But this leads to a question...............did you buy the "special" cable from a CC dealer? It's for 82-90 SN's..

It's special because it has a couple inch longer throw than standard cables and if you used a standard cable, you'll have less throw in either direction when it's installed and adjusted for equal throw. It'll be most noticeable at slow speeds 

clamp block picture

link to the "special cable" with the "special price"

JamoJones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamoJones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2023 at 1:12pm
I didn't know about a "special cable", and that price is special, but out of stock anyway.  I ordered mine form Ski Boat Parts Online, and after a video and a talk with Ron Tanis, ordered what was in the boat.  That may have been sized wrong, but I got it to work now.  The tube is extended all the way to the nut, but I have 1.5 turns in either direction.  I had to re-clock the wheel for my own satisfaction.
Now that I have the '86, I'll check the difference, if any.
Thanks Keno...
1987 Ski Nautique 2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2023 at 6:53pm
Well...........spit out the part number of the new cable Wink

Here's a link to an old thread with some measurements for cable throw and steering tube lengths.

Short throw, long tube combination, you lose quite a bit
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic