Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1993 Correct Carburetor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1993 Correct Carburetor
    Posted: June-13-2023 at 8:55am

I need a little help for my buddy on his new purchase of a 1993 Ski Nautique. He has a 351 engine in the boat but with a 750 double pumper Holly carburetor. I don’t believe this is the correct carburetor for the engine.  

Is that correct or not?

If not, what would be the correct Holly carburetor?   

Paul

desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2023 at 9:04am
Holley 4160.  And tell him not to buy one of those POS Quick FuelsLOL

92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2023 at 1:29pm

Thanks for the help!

We were out on the water yesterday morning for my first time on his boat. Notice acceleration issues and flooding when trying to start at times. We talk about rebuilding the carburetor to take care of the problems. When we were loading up the boat, he opened up the engine cover and I notice it was a double pumper Holly. Wasn’t sure at the time if it was the correct carburetor or not.  When he looked up the number for a rebuilt kit on the Holley, it’s a 750.  I knew then it was to big for this small block. 

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2023 at 11:46pm
If you like the double pumper, then Quick Fuel makes a marine M-650.  The M-650 is based on the Holley 4150 and is similar to the 750 your friend has now.  Keep in mind that the M-650 has mechanical secondaries whereas the M-600 has vacuum secondaries (like the 4160).  My personal preference is for mechanical secondaries, but there is nothing wrong with the vacuum configuration.  Many, many SBF engines with Holley 4160s and vacuum secondaries were produced...and many are still running today.

The 600 or 650 CFM carbs are plenty for your marine application as you typically wont spin much past 5,000 RPMs.  A 750 CFM carby is a bit too big -- however, keep in mind that the engine will only aspirate the volume of air/fuel that it needs.  So, a 750 CFM will work, but its very doubtful that you will run more than 600 "ish" CFM through it.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2023 at 8:22am
Absolutely no way on earth should anyone spend 892 dollars on a vacuum secondary Holley 600.

Grab a QF m-600. It may or may not require some slight idle circuit tuning. If you can’t get it set up without minor tweaks send it back to Summit for warranty easy peasy. I’ve had to do that once or twice but I’ve seen plenty of new Holleys out of the box suck too.

You’ll have to set up the float level which is easy enough. Recommend starting out low and bring it up slowly.

Since someone has messed with the carb already you’d likely need to order a new PCM fuel supply hard line for the Holley anyhow so grab up a Sierra 18-8115 fuel line.   

Usually you can get a QF with the functioning choke to run basically like it’s fuel injected. Some I’ve set up will even cold start most of the time with no pumps and idle immediately.
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2023 at 1:05pm

Thanks for all the advance! Really appreciate it.  What we are going to do is this.  I have a marine Holly 650 with vacuum secondary on the shelf in my garage. It’s my old Holley that I replace some years ago from my boat. It’s been rebuilt and tested out so it’s good to go. I know we should put a 600 on the engine but checking to see if this was an option I called a few guys up who knows marine engines and they both said it will work fine on that engine. And Jonny Quest help in convincing that matter even more.  And he doesn’t have to spend 900 dollars. He has a close friend that I’m willing to give it to him. We have known each other since we were seven or eight a long time ago. As to the fuel line, yes, we will need to make that change over. Either with PMC hard fuel line that is suggested, making our own metal fuel line or go with a branded fuel line that I might have most of the connecters to do that and branded line. Depending on how long the length is.     

pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2023 at 8:33am

Just a follow up on putting the Holley 650 on a PCM351.  My bubby finally got the carburetor on a couple of weeks ago. A lot of texting and face timing in helping him out. There was an issue with the accelerator pump diaphragm leaking and getting a new fuel line from the fuel pump on the engine to the carb. Both were easy fixes.

This past Wednesday we both had the day off and hit the lake to do the final adjustments in checking the timing and adjusting the idle screws. Engine ran extremely well. Way better than it was prior to the change out. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic