NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Walters V-drive Split Coupler Removal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dshack View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dshack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Walters V-drive Split Coupler Removal
    Posted: August-30-2022 at 12:52pm
What was supposed to be simple "tighten-up-the-packing-nut-a-quarter-turn" job on my 01 SAN while I had the tank cover off has turned into a bit of a nightmare. The nut was bottomed out, so I fought and fought to pull the old packing out. Now I'm having a helluva time getting the new 3/16" packing in. I was able to get 2 wraps in after fighting it for a while, but that's it. I just cannot wedge a third wrap in there. My plan is to do a quick water test this afternoon to see what drip I've got. If it isn't satisfactory, I'm thinking I may need to pull the drive shaft and take the packing nut out to inspect and re-pack on my bench.

This is the style coupler I have: https://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/shaft-coupling-walter-v-drive/. All the videos I've seen for pulling the shaft out of the coupler are for the interference fit. If I back off the set screw and 2 thru bolts, will the coupler come off? I'm guessing I may need a little persuasion from the prop side. Am I gonna have a miserable time getting it back on?

Thanks!!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2022 at 6:27pm
You may have more "fun" than you ever thought possible getting it off and back on

It's not like it easily slides in and out of the split coupler.

The split doesn't cover the full length of the coupler and the fit is pretty tight to begin with.

There are wedges that can help open the split a little, but you're working in a lousy position and area.

I'd say a couple of quick  prayers and hope your packing job works if I was you Wink
dshack View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dshack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2022 at 6:57pm
Thanks for the info! I was able to get my packing job "good enough" for at least the rest of the season. About a drip every 2-3 seconds and the packing nut gets warm but not warm enough I want to pull my hand away.

I've got a slow tranny leak that I'm going to address this winter anyways, so that will give me an opportunity to mess with the packing again. I might even just convert to dripless.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2022 at 7:21am
Well if you're taking out the v drive and the transmission, it's the perfect time to deal with the coupling or to pull the shaft and coupling together into the boat to get at your packing or do a dripless conversion..

Here's a link to a Gary S "oily mess" thread with some pictures of a 95 Super Sport, basically the same setup without any ballast tanks to clutter things up and get in the way Wink

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2022 at 8:19am
Thanks for reminding me of that mess Ken!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dshack View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dshack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2022 at 10:42am
Oh boy that does look like fun! I'm not looking forward to pulling the tranny. I am getting a slow leak, about half a quart every month or 2. Not enough to be obvious where it is coming from, but enough to not ignore. Fortunately I've got a heated shop for my business where I can park the boat over the winter and slowly tinker with it.
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2022 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by dshack dshack wrote:

...I might even just convert to dripless.

Highly recommend the dripless packing. Converted last year after watching one of Skidim Vince's videos and it has worked perfectly. Worth a few extra bucks over traditional packing.
1990 Ski Nautique (original owner)
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic