NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stiff Rudder - Not the Cable

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dshack View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dshack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiff Rudder - Not the Cable
    Posted: August-23-2022 at 7:48pm
I could use some help problem solving why my rudder is stiff. The steering cable and helm has less than 50 hours. If I drop the rudder and grease the rudder post, the steering feels amazing for about the first 30 mins on the water. Then, it gradually gets stiff again. It seems the grease is temporarily hiding the binding issue and then when it washes away it comes back.

One theory is that I've got the top bolt too tight (the one that gets the safety wire, not the packing nut), which is causing excess friction. Another theory is that the packing nut is sitting slightly too high, which means the tiller arm rubs on the packing nut. Could these be the issue? Any other ideas?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2022 at 9:09pm
I am guessing your packing nut is too tight.  Once you overtighten the only solution I have found is to remove all the packing and start over.  Yep, been there and done that one.  Learning the hard way but trying to share.
Install the packing bring the nut down by hand till it touches the rope packing, add maybe another 1/4 turn and stop.  This is usually enough.   6 years after replacing mine i need to go back in and tighten it a little.  When camping with the boat on the water for 3-4 days straight 24-7 I get maybe a little water in the boat but it used to be near zero.  Once you overtighten there is nothing to make it loosen even if you back the nut way off the rope stays tight.
dshack View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dshack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2022 at 9:19pm
Thanks, you are probably right. The top of the packing nut was sitting a little high and I cranked it down to try to get it flush with the "shoulder" on the rudder where the tiller rests. Should I have instead used 1 less wrap of rope (currently have 3)? Or should I have just left the packing nut a little high?
dshack View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dshack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2022 at 11:20am
After a little more research, I'm thinking maybe my issue is that when I replaced the steering cable, I also replaced the rudder packing with 3 wraps of 1/4" packing (the same number of wraps as what was in there). However, it looks like my 2001 likely used 3/16" packing originally. I'll grab some 3/16" packing and redo it and just hand tighten the packing nut. I'm betting that will solve it. Thanks!
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2022 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by dshack dshack wrote:

After a little more research, I'm thinking maybe my issue is that when I replaced the steering cable, I also replaced the rudder packing with 3 wraps of 1/4" packing (the same number of wraps as what was in there). However, it looks like my 2001 likely used 3/16" packing originally. I'll grab some 3/16" packing and redo it and just hand tighten the packing nut. I'm betting that will solve it. Thanks!

I have a NOS package of 3-16" packing you can have for $10 shipped.

1990 Ski Nautique (original owner)
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
dshack View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dshack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2022 at 12:44pm
Thanks for the offer, I was able to find the same product locally last week. Pulled and reset the rudder and it worked perfectly all weekend. Thanks for the help!
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2022 at 2:18pm
Glad you got it fixed up.
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2022 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by dshack dshack wrote:

Thanks for the offer, I was able to find the same product locally last week. Pulled and reset the rudder and it worked perfectly all weekend. Thanks for the help!
Great!
1990 Ski Nautique (original owner)
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic