NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Acceleration issues.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2022 at 7:50am
Most any car parts place should be able to help you with the fittings, just bring in the old ones for reference.

I've gotten some stuff from the Ebay seller referenced above and been plenty happy (along with 99.7 percent of his customers)
AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2022 at 3:38pm
PROBLEM FOUND! I call this post "Interesting Fuel Pump Finds". Big smile

In anticipation of receiving the new fuel pump I went ahead and removed the old fuel pump. When pulling out the pump what also followed where a number of pieces as you can see below. 

The first two pieces next to the fuel pump are parts of the spring which are obviously broken. After close inspection, it appears that these two pieces have been broken for quite sometime and not just recently. I am assuming that the third piece is part of the pump assembly that would have ridden on the spring. 

Now, the fourth piece (far right) does not appear to have anything to do with the fuel pump and I think I know where it may have come from. When I removed the original distributor way back before beginning this post (before installing DUI distributor) I noticed that one of the teeth on the distributor gear was chipped. This looks like a perfect puzzle piece fit for that old chip. Could be wrong but it sure looks like it. 

I have just a couple quick questions. Would a fuel pump with a broken spring even pump (because apparently this one did at least a bit)? Also, it appears that when installing the new pump that the pump lever rests under the cam that can be seen through the port for the fuel pump, is that correct? It doesn't ride under a lifter/rod like in a Chevrolet, or am I not seeing the lifter/rod? Do I need to grease the new pump lever at all or will the engine oil take care of that? I know my technical terms may be off but hopefully I'm close enough to make sense.

The new fuel pump has arrived so I should be able to get it installed soon and report back. Hopefully after now finding something physically wrong/broken a final solution has been found. Although at this point I will believe it when I see it on the water under load and not requiring a tow.LOL

Thank you again for everyone's help, I really appreciate it. 

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2022 at 4:43pm
When installing the new fuel pump, a big ratchet and socket on the harmonic balancer will help.  Slowly turn the engine clockwise until the fuel pump arm slides in and seats properly.  If not, you’ll fight it.  Easy peasy.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2022 at 5:12pm
From my research on replacing a fuel pump (which I did recently) best practice seems to be to put some assembly lube on the pump lever before installing. In the absence of assembly lube some engine oil will probably also do.
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2022 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by AZ86SKI AZ86SKI wrote:

PROBLEM FOUND! I call this post "Interesting Fuel Pump Finds". Big smile

In anticipation of receiving the new fuel pump I went ahead and removed the old fuel pump. When pulling out the pump what also followed where a number of pieces as you can see below. 

The first two pieces next to the fuel pump are parts of the spring which are obviously broken. After close inspection, it appears that these two pieces have been broken for quite sometime and not just recently. I am assuming that the third piece is part of the pump assembly that would have ridden on the spring. 

Now, the fourth piece (far right) does not appear to have anything to do with the fuel pump and I think I know where it may have come from. When I removed the original distributor way back before beginning this post (before installing DUI distributor) I noticed that one of the teeth on the distributor gear was chipped. This looks like a perfect puzzle piece fit for that old chip. Could be wrong but it sure looks like it. 

I have just a couple quick questions. Would a fuel pump with a broken spring even pump (because apparently this one did at least a bit)? Also, it appears that when installing the new pump that the pump lever rests under the cam that can be seen through the port for the fuel pump, is that correct? It doesn't ride under a lifter/rod like in a Chevrolet, or am I not seeing the lifter/rod? Do I need to grease the new pump lever at all or will the engine oil take care of that? I know my technical terms may be off but hopefully I'm close enough to make sense.

The new fuel pump has arrived so I should be able to get it installed soon and report back. Hopefully after now finding something physically wrong/broken a final solution has been found. Although at this point I will believe it when I see it on the water under load and not requiring a tow.LOL

Thank you again for everyone's help, I really appreciate it. 

Piece 3 falls out when the spring breaks, and there's another internal spring that keeps the pump somewhat working.

If you want to exert maximum effort putting the pump in, then rotate the engine CCW with Jonny's big wrench so #1 is at TDC on the compression stroke, but if you want to make it easier, rotate the engine one full turn after that and #1 will then be at TDC on it's exhaust stroke and the eccentric exerts the least amount of force on the pump arm so installation is easier. Like you said, the arm goes under the eccentric.

And............. it's nothing like the Chevy pushrod setup
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2022 at 9:06pm
Looks like you found a real problem.  Hope it finally gets your boat purring again.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2022 at 6:35am
If this fixes your issues, a picture of the look of awe and amazement on your GF's face will of course be needed 

if she's internet camera shy, just borrow some picture of someone  from somewhere on the internet  Wink
Tomrupp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomrupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2022 at 8:06am
Nice work AZ86SKI. It’s gonna sound great blasting past 2700 rpm. Turns out she was thirsty.
Tom
94 Ski Nautique Open Bow 351 with Carb
95 Double Decker Aqua Patio with 50hp Honda (3 carbs).
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2022 at 2:00pm
I am curious how the bad fuel pump worked well in the bucket fill test but would not function under load on the water.   Maybe the fuel demand was higher under load?   As I recall he had good pressure and it flowed well when initially tested?   Just curious so we respond better to the next poor soul that bumps into a fuel starve question.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2022 at 2:28pm
Agree Mark, thought we'd ruled out the pump and line to the tank by checking fuel pressure/volume.  I wonder if it's just a case of how that broken spring aligned each time it was turned over, sometimes it was in a position to do some work, sometimes not.
AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2022 at 2:49pm
Just when I thought we had things figured out on this boat, it has decided to test me once again. It is a good thing I reported "problem found" earlier and not "problem solved."

So I was able to get the new fuel pump installed. I began to fight it for a few minutes and then thought it best to follow the advice above about rotating the engine which was way easier and great advice. Thumbs Up

Then it was time AGAIN to test it on the trailer. The primary bowl showed 1/2 way in the window and I was expecting success at last. I cranked it a number of times and no sign of it firing at all.Unhappy I pulled the arrestor and fuel was dripping pretty heavy in the primaries. I checked the float level again and it was now completely full past the upper window (so I assume the new pump is working). I adjusted the bowl back down and let it sit for a bit thinking it was likely flooded. Tried it again later and still no signs of firing. The float level was now in the window and the primaries were no longer dripping. I let it sit over night and tried it again this am and unfortunately the same result. 

I tried opening the throttle (while still in neutral) to give it additional air and no luck. I tried a little starting fluid and no luck. No signs of firing. When I did leave the throttle open or tried the starting fluid I did get some pops (like coughs) but not like starting. Acted very similar when launched last and it finally started (GF look number 1 for reference). Although this time, it doesn't even act like it wants to start. I am at a loss and a little frustrated at this point. I don't want to kill this starter and create more problems than I already have. Just to back up, the last time it was firing was at the lake right before it died. 

Am I missing something? Any thoughts?

AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2022 at 7:49pm
Quick update.

JQ was able to walk me through visually confirming that there is fuel delivery which there is through the accelerator pump when the throttle is depressed. Also that I have spark to each cylinder through using an in-line spark test light. All checked out. In checking the timing, there appears to be some inconsistencies that I need to confirm. The timing now seems way off (which is really strange) but I need to confirm and I will be working on that and will report back as soon as I can get some of the timing numbers confirmed. Thank you JQ! I guess the good news is the new fuel pump appears to be working even if the boat isn't starting. I'll take small victories where I can get them at this point. 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2022 at 8:18pm
So what are these really strange timing inconsistencies you're seeing?

What did you do about all the leaking fuel in the primaries even when the float was adjusted?

Any leaking fuel in the secondaries?
AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2022 at 9:45pm
Hey KENO,

There is no more leaking in primaries. When I adjusted the float back down and after a few more attempts at starting the float level is now back to the middle of the primary window and seems to be holding steady now with no additional leaking in the primaries.

After confirming fuel and spark, I moved back to checking the timing again while turning it over although it is not starting. It appears that the timing is now at 90*. There is a Mr. Gasket timing tape on the harmonic balancer, I think the harmonic balancer is what I'm looking at.  I did it a few times because I was so confused. I had set the initial timing myself at 12* as posted earlier and I had also confirmed the TDC marking with TDC at #1. So it was all good at one point. The distributor is securely in place with the nut that holds it in place also secure as well. The distributor doesn't have appeared to have moved.

Had some weather move through so had to take a break for now. Next I am going to go back and check TDC again at #1 and see what the timing mark says now and go from there.  Thoughts?
AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2022 at 2:33pm
And the mystery continues....

I was able to physically check that when the #1 cylinder is at TDC, the marker is also pointing at TDC on the harmonic balancer. Not sure why the light was showing different. It's not the most expensive light. 

I also physically inspected the new DUI distributor and the rotor was pointing to #1. The rotor and cap appear free from any cracks/defects and the advance mechanism moved freely.

I also checked the breaker at the rear of the engine and it has not been tripped. 

In discussing with the GF about when it died on the water. When I heard a pop, which sounded like it came from the carb (but I could be wrong about where it came from), she says she also heard a metal clank. When it died, it just died. No sputters etc. 

I am at a loss at this point. Any other thoughts?

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2022 at 3:03pm
Just a wild swing at potential issues.  When you set the float level was the engine sitting like it does when on the water?  I only ask because if your boat is sitting nose down on the trailer your float level will be way off.  You need to level the boat like it would sit going down the lake, so slightly nose high.   An eyeball check is close enough normally on the level.

For no start and a clank or pop when it died?   Not much to guess with.
When things don't work for me I go back to the basics.   
Verify compression in all 8 cylinders.  Does not matter if you did this one week ago, something changed and you are trying to find what changed.  If you have good compression on all 8 you know your valves are opening and sealing as intended so that tells you the timing chain and cam are spinning as intended and rules out many other potential issues.
On your timing, if static timing, engine not running is set to #1 at TDC and your distributor rotor is pointing at #1 on the cap Timing is close enough to start the engine, spin the engine over with the dist cap off just to verify the rotor is spinning as it should.
If it starts now I would make sure the Timing light is connected to the #1 cylinder and set the initial timing to 8-10*.  Next with the timing light still connected engine running watch your timing marks as you raise the RPM slowly and see at what RPM the timing stops advancing.  As you rev and slow the engine speed the timing should advance and retard smoothly and exactly the same every single time in sync with RPM.  Full advance is usually somewhere between 2,800 and 4,000 RPM.  Keep raising the RPM till the timing stops advancing and is stable.  So if you think it quit advancing at 3,500 take it up to 4,000 just to make sure you are correct.  If you have a dial back timing light this will also let you know exactly how much timing the engine is getting at what RPM.  Normally you will see between 32 and 36* fully advanced.   You stated timing was  90* off, sounds like you may have grabbed another wire by mistake.  An 8 cylinder engine fires every 90* of rotation so being 90* off might just be wrong wire as a source and that wire would be right next to your #1 wire location so either the wire left or right of #1 on your cap.
If it is getting spark and your Spark is at the right time, It is getting Air, (the choke is wide open)  and has compression it should start right up.
When you find out which part is missing/no longer there, you know what to do next.

AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2022 at 9:29pm
The boat is sitting on the trailer and is close to level, just a bit nose high off perfect level. I didn't plan it that way but that's what the level says. The float levels in both the primaries and secondaries are right in the middle of the float window now.

With fuel delivery visually confirmed, spark at each cylinder and the distributor functions checked and confirmed as well, I will be moving on to checking the compression at each cylinder again. The good news is I have the compression numbers when the DUI was installed  by the mechanic and well before it died on the lake. So I at least have a baseline of where they were.

So onto the compression check. The compression numbers were in the (140-150ish range) before it died and the boat only has 408 hours. I do not want to even consider internal failure at this point as far as we have come. Although, I have gone from a great running boat on the trailer to a boat that doesn't even start now. Perhaps we should start looking at the mechanic now (me). Ha. I guess the compression test on each cylinder will let us know something, but I hope not.

It may take me a bit to get the compression check done, but I will get it done and report back. Any other ideas until I get that done are greatly appreciated as well. Thanks everyone. 

MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2022 at 2:04am
Originally posted by AZ86SKI AZ86SKI wrote:

I was able to physically check that when the #1 cylinder is at TDC, the marker is also pointing at TDC on the harmonic balancer. 

Just wondering out loud....how did you perform this test?
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2022 at 12:01pm
In checking TDC, I pulled the #1 spark plug (closest to the driver's seat). Then rotated the engine by hand counter clockwise with my finger over the the spark plug hole until the pressure began to build. Then I inserted a long thin ratchet extension into the the same cylinder until it touched the top of the piston. I then continued to rotate the engine until the rachet extension stopped rising. I know I should have used something non-metallic like a straw instead of the extension but it was what I had and was cautious doing it. I then looked at the timing marker which was in-line with the TDC mark on the timing tape. I then also checked that the rotor in the distributor was pointing at the #1 position. 

I should also mention that I had done this earlier before it died on the lake and when it was still running (except for verifying rotor position). With the previous issues, I thought maybe someone had installed the timing tape incorrectly but it checked out then as well. 

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2022 at 12:19pm
Yup. TDC verified.  This one is a puzzler…
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2022 at 1:31pm
This may have been covered in previous posts but How Old is the Gas in your gas tank?
Fuel today over 6 mos old is suspect.  Over 1 year old is certainly degraded and older than that can cause bad problems.   I fixed a boat last year that had 4 year old gas in it.   It was fuel injected and 5 of 8 fuel injectors plugged up on the old fuel.    
Engines running on old gas will stink, it is an odd smell out the exhaust but you even smell it on the spark plugs when removed.  It can make your valves stick inside the heads.
Water in fuel is another concern.
If we have good compression, Good Spark on time and fuel they run.   Yours has us thinking out of school for odd solutions.

Maybe spill some fresh gas down the carb and turn the key.
AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2022 at 1:37pm
I know this doesn't make much sense, but I read a number of posts addressing kill switch issues so I thought it best to ask. Does anyone know if a 1986 SN has one? I haven't seen one but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The reason it doesn't make sense to me is that I had spark at all 8 cylinders when I tested it. Just trying to eliminate other possibilities. Thanks. 
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2022 at 2:43pm
If you have spark to the plug wires, then the kill switch isn’t an issue.  No spark…I’d be evaluating the kill switch.
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2022 at 3:20pm
After reading through your thread it looks like you installed a new carb and then found the bad fuel pump.  I wonder if the old fuel pump diaphragm was deteriorating and pumping pieces into your new carb.  Although the way it died it doesn't sound like a fuel problem.  Can you try the old carb just to see if it fires?

On a side note:  What lake do you go to?  I am going to Saguaro tomorrow for a day trip and will be at Apache for Labor Day.  Maybe you need a old retired guy to help.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2022 at 9:12pm
MrMcD,

Thinking out of school for odd solutions as you stated may be exactly what is needed if the compression test shows no internal problems. 

Regarding the fuel, I did drain all the old fuel out of the tank when I first started this project as it had been sitting for awhile and it was definitely no good. No junk or rust but bad fuel. Since then I have maintained a fuel stabilizer and before the last launch I siphoned the majority of the fuel out so I could use new fuel with the new carb. My old lawn mower seems to run on anything so it gets the fuel hand-me-downs from the boat. 

Trying some more fuel down the carb and giving it another try is first on the list after checking the compression. Thanks!
AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2022 at 9:53pm
desertskier,

Great suggestions! The issues of dying on the lake, then no fuel in the primary bowl, doesn't want to re-start and then finding the failing fuel pump after getting it back home. That is a lot of failures in a very short period of time to be completely unrelated. I agree with you that the way it died doesn't sound fuel related with no sputters etc. 

I do have the old carb and it did at least start the boat and ran on the trailer so that's a great idea as well. After the compression test is done (assuming it's good), then I will try some more fuel down the carb. If that doesn't work then swapping out the carb is the plan!

Typically have been going to Lake Pleasant for now since I know they have a tow boat until find some reliability. LOL I will gladly accept the help of an "old retired guy" as you say. That is extremely generous of you and I really appreciate the offer. I would not feel right taking time away from your boat days or your time on the water until I get my due diligence done first with the compression and possible carb swap as you wisely suggested. If both of those fail to provide some answers then I will absolutely take you up on that offer and head your way for assistance. I know my trailer works. LOL It may take me a bit to get these done with some other priorities pending but I will update as soon as I do. 

Also, regarding your trip to Apache, I recall someone mentioning that one of the ways into Apache had been washed out and I thought the only way in was from the Roosevelt side. I could be wrong and they may have made some repairs but I would check just to make sure for your trip. Enjoy the lakes and thanks again!
AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2022 at 10:05pm
I forgot to mention that when I removed the old Carter fuel pump I inspected the fuel filter in the pump and it was very clean. I don't know if the fuel pump diaphragm is upstream or downstream of the filter but I wanted to mention for clarity if diaphragm failure was a possibility.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2022 at 12:07pm
If you're looking for something that could change your timing by about 90 degrees, take a look at the pictures below.

It's a DUI Ford distributor and you can see the plate that locks the 8 legged pickup coil in position so it can't move. The pickup coil moves if you have vacuum advance like in an automotive distributor and the plate is one part of the "conversion" to a marine distributor.

If anything is broken so that the pickup can move, it has about 45 degrees of movement which just happens to correlate to 90 degrees of timing at the crankshaft

Probably a long, long shot but it's free and easy to check Wink

AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2022 at 1:44pm
Hey KENO,

That is definitely something I can check and see if there is any movement. These are new part names for me so thank you for the photos. I will give that a check and report back when I get it done. 

Your post got me thinking about checking the timing when trying to start it versus it running. When I checked the timing after it died while trying to start it, it was showing 90*. I then checked that TDC was correct as posted above and assumed we were good. My thoughts were that perhaps the timing light was off due to the balancer not spinning fast enough like when its running or just an inexpensive light. So my novice question is if I know my timing light is attached to number 1 plug wire with no cross talk with other wires and I check the timing trying to start it, will the timing light still be as accurate as if when it's running? Meaning should it actually show 12* instead of some other number like 90*? I hope my question makes sense. This was my first time checking timing while trying to start an engine so I have no experience what the numbers should show when it's actually NOT running. If it should show 12* when trying to start and we know that TDC is correct start then your suggestion makes a ton of sense whether its long shot or not.

One more question for you if I could. The new fuel pump I put in to replace the old Carter pump, can I assume (which I did) it came with the fuel filter in it like the old Carter pump? I didn't take the new pump part to check for the filter as I didn't want to disturb any of the seals. I thought I better confirm while I am thinking about it.

Thanks!
AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2022 at 2:07pm
Hey All,

I apologize for the delay in getting the compression check done but the results are in...and I don't think it's going to be good.

All of the cylinders registered between 150 and 160 psi except cylinder number 7 which registered at 90 Unhappy. When a compression check was done by the mechanic when the DUI was installed, before the latest stall on the lake, his notes indicated number 7 was at 145. I should also mention that his earlier numbers where recorded at between 140-150 for all cylinders. So there is a bit of difference between his compression tester and my new one so it doesn't appear that cylinder 7 was failing previously.

I was so hoping that I just failed to seat the compression tester correctly on number 7, but after three attempts, I had to accept the reality that 90 was the number. 

Is this considered catastrophic failure requiring a full rebuild? If so, I can't wait for the GF look on that news. Any ideas how bad this is or could be and why it would lose compression so fast in one cylinder? Does this lack of compression in one cylinder explain the stall and failure to now start? Sorry for all the questions but this appears to be going down a whole new road I wasn't expecting and I am just trying to figure out the best next step forward. Give me the news, I can take it.

Thanks everyone. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
  Share Topic