Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Tank Anti-Slosh Foam Ring

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Indygreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indygreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Tank Anti-Slosh Foam Ring
    Posted: June-21-2021 at 10:31pm
Hello,
New to this site so I apologize if I don't have this listed in the correct area.  I purchased a 1995 SN GT40 thats been pretty neglected. Having fuel issues and tight steering so pulled the tank to check the pick up screen and to pull, lubricate and pack the rudder.  When I opened the tank up I found a lot of crude and a partially clogged pick up and a slightly clogged anti-siphon screen.  I also found a black foam ring approximately 1" think that was between the top of the sump in the tank and the bottom of the stainless assembly used to hold the pick up and return fuel lines etc.  The black foam ring I believe is a anti-slosh foam cell.  Mine is breaking down and is actually broken in a couple of places and I'm not so sure some of the foam residue was not floating around in the tank.  Anyway - I assume I need this foam cell but can't seem to talk to anyone that knows anything about it, part number, etc.  Doe's anyone know if I'm correct in my theory and if the part is available and if not is there an substitute?  Thank you. 
Indygreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indygreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2021 at 10:59pm
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2021 at 5:35am
Something tells me that you're having trouble posting pictures.

While you're figuring that out, here's a link to your thread on Planet Nautique with.................pictures Wink

I'd probably have no problem at all running it without that ring in place and just tell myself there's less junk in the tank that could break apart and clog the suction strainer.
Indygreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indygreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2021 at 8:05am
Thank you Keno - yes pictures didn't upload.  I was considering running it without- may just go with.  
Thanks again for adding the link. 
Indygreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indygreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2021 at 11:01pm
Thought I'd follow up and tell you what I found out.  This SN is a 1995.  This is the first year of the GT40.  Nautique is telling me that my motor didn't come with a FCC and that in 1995 only they used this gas tank for one year that had the sump in it to help fuel get to the injectors.  The following year they started using the high pressure FCC on GT40 and went back to a tank without the sump.  Having this sump in the tank stinks because you can not get to the rudder to service.  Anyway they told me since I didn't have the FCC I would need to purchase another tank or find some of the foam cell myself because it wasn't available anymore.  What Nautique didn't know was that both a high pressure FCC and new low pressure pump were added to this motor last year so I'm thinking I'm fine to run it without the foam cell.  
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2021 at 11:15pm
That is interesting. I have a 95 vdrive without a FCC which has a mid mounted belly tank. I'm not about to pull the tank to check but I wonder what they did with that since it's flat onto the hull. It's top plat looks just like yours.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2021 at 5:33am
Originally posted by Indygreen Indygreen wrote:

Thought I'd follow up and tell you what I found out.  This SN is a 1995.  This is the first year of the GT40.  Nautique is telling me that my motor didn't come with a FCC and that in 1995 only they used this gas tank for one year that had the sump in it to help fuel get to the injectors.  The following year they started using the high pressure FCC on GT40 and went back to a tank without the sump.  Having this sump in the tank stinks because you can not get to the rudder to service.  Anyway they told me since I didn't have the FCC I would need to purchase another tank or find some of the foam cell myself because it wasn't available anymore.  What Nautique didn't know was that both a high pressure FCC and new low pressure pump were added to this motor last year so I'm thinking I'm fine to run it without the foam cell.  

The Nautique sump and foam explanation sounds like one of those "stories" that doesn't pass the sniff test Wink
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2021 at 4:37pm
Not sure about the easier for fuel to the injector theory. My ‘95 Signature with the GT40 had the sump with the doughnut foam I always thought the sump was there to help keep the fuel lines/ pumps from sucking air when the fuel was low. 
 And yes it made it a PITA to get to the rudder and other things in the back of the bilge.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2021 at 5:02pm
My 1994 with throttle body fuel injection had a fuel tank with a sump.  What a PITA to service the rudder.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic