NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drive Damper Diameter

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drive Damper Diameter
    Posted: May-21-2021 at 8:30pm
My drive damper is shot, and needs to be replaced. Since the ALTDA-106A is not available, I ordered a ALTDA-106 with the understanding that I will need to cut it down to fit the 12" flywheel on my 351. I wanted to retain some semblance of balance in the damper after hacking it up, so I 3D printed a jig that would allow me to mark a circle at exactly 12" from the center point of the splines. However, after marking it and then referencing the ALTDA-106A photo to compare, I'm seeing that they appear to be leaving a little more material on theirs and now I'm starting to doubt my method:

I don't have the transmission pulled so can't actually see/measure anything and want to get this ready ahead of time, so I was hoping one of you guys who has been through this could set me straight. Am I ok to cut this thing down to 12" or is there a reason they are leaving them a little larger? What holes will I end up using when I bolt this thing on?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2021 at 8:36pm
From a recent post

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Here's a picture

Follow the "not very artistic" purple lines to the 3 right holes for mounting the plate to your Ford flywheel Wink

You'd be cutting right through the right mounting holes.Wink

Cut it like the picture shows. 

Edit looking at the plate in your picture and the plate in my picture, one picture is the front and one is the back, so you'd probably be OK, but I'd still cut it like the picture shows
Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2021 at 8:49pm

From a recent post

Here's a picture

Follow the "not very artistic" purple lines to the 3 right holes for mounting the plate to your Ford flywheel Wink

You'd be cutting right through the right mounting holes.Wink

Cut it like the picture shows. 

Edit looking at the plate in your picture and the plate in my picture, one picture is the front and one is the back, so you'd probably be OK, but I'd still cut it like the picture shows
I'm glad I asked. Both of these photos are of the back of the damper, so you were right the first time, I would have cut right through the mounting hole that I need. As usual, what seems like a good idea on paper doesn't translate to the real world. I'm a big fan of your artwork by the way, this serves more of a purpose than a lot of other "art" out there Thumbs Up

edit: oh duh, you used a different photo for yours. Nevermind me
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2021 at 8:59pm
Here's a picture of one installed on a flywheel from somewhere on the internet.

Note that the holes you'd be cutting through would be the bigger diameter holes a little farther out on the other side of the ears, but also note that where it's cutis right at the edge of the flywheel, yours would have been in a little bit.

I still think the pictures are one of the front and one of the backside, but it doesn't matter, you know where to cut and which holes to use. They're 5/16 diameter.

Hysteria View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hysteria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2021 at 9:11pm
Perfect, thank you. I'm going to scribe a new line with a little more material left since it appears there is enough space.

You were right about the photo being flipped, I mistakenly thought that you had drawn on the same photo that was in the original post, which matched the photo I took of my damper.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic