NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need advice please Keno

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Tko87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tko87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2021 at 7:01am
Man, thanks for the details , feeling much better already .
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2021 at 2:03am
Smokey Yanuck always said you need 10 PSI per 1000 RPM.  Smokey is still considered a pretty good egg when it comes to engine advice.
With that said, I like to build mine to have 40 PSI minimum at idle and 60 or so at speed.  Just personal preference.   Running 75 PSI in an engine that never see's RPM above 4500 is a little overkill but as Ken pointed out it is nothing to worry about.  It will not hurt your engine at all.
If it was my engine and I had 75 PSI with 40W I would install 30W.  Pressure will drop a little, maybe to 65 PSI hot but again, you have plenty of Oil Pressure so your engine will run a very long time.
Most likely your engine has very good/tight clearances inside and that will make it last a long time if you take care of it.   I know of race engines running Pro Stock that run Zero Weight oil today.  You are in good shape, run it and smile.
I know guys in the old C2 Corvette club and they get all excited if they have more than 40 PSI running hot because the C2 Club will dock them points when the car is judged.  Not because there is anything wrong with running a little higher pressure, only because they use a judging book that tells them what oil pressure to look for because that is what they had from the factory in 1966.  Does not mean it is the best for today it just means it is good for judging.  Hope this helps.
Mark
Tko87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tko87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2021 at 9:57pm
Straight 40

Drops to 55 at idle when hot but on step it gets 70-75
If this isn't too high I won't stress about it I definitely don't have any leaks or nothing like that
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2021 at 9:47pm
What weight oil are you using?

Maybe the relief valve on the oil pump is set a little higher than normal.

After it's warmed up and been running at speed for 20 minutes or so and the oil is good and hot, does it drop off any?

I think that if the boat is running perfectly fine as you said, I'd not worry about it.

Some others should chime in on this, I would think.
Tko87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tko87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2021 at 6:41pm
Just put a used Gen 4 454 in my fish nautique the engine had only 90 hours on it from brand new ,guy didn't use it much
I'm running raw water

When I start my boat 70-75 lbs of oil pressure even after it warms up it only drops down to 55 when I'm on step it goes back up to around 75 even once the oil is hot... Hooked up a manual gauge to confirm as well.

Boat is running perfectly fine

Is this anything to worry about?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic