NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to Re-Upholster?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Re-Upholster?
    Posted: September-30-2006 at 12:14am
As my ski season comes to a close I am contemplating re-upholstering my 95 interior (or having someone do it). Carpet looks worn too.

I've seen som ratty looking amatuer jobs, and some cheesy looking pro jobs complete with diamond tuck vinyl.

Not all my vinyl is trashed. The back seats are cracked, and all of the top surfaces are thin and brittle. Some have mildew stains I can't get out.

Suggestions?
joed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2006 at 8:18am
I believe I've read that you can order new skins from your CC Dealer. If so... I think that would be your best bet if you are looking to keep it "original".

My wife and I bought a heavy duty sewing machine off eBay and taught ourselves when we bought our 86 Eliminator. Vinyl is cheap... but the foam is kinda pricey. It was a fun project, and turned out rather well.

For what it's worth... Joe
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2006 at 10:50am
over hear in Ohio, we got these people called the Amish, I send a boat or car over there, (cant call them, no phones oh yeah no sundays either their at church) and they do beautiful upholstery work and they are a third of the price, but they are wising up on the $$$$$$$. man when you go down there its like turning off the clock.
it is really an experience if you have ever dealt with the amish
"the things you own will start to own you"
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2006 at 11:09pm
hey eric what place do you use,i drive the chardon,burton,middlefield,run for the trucking company i work for,i will need upholstery work for my 1970 project,when the time comes ,thanks dan in streetsboro.
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2006 at 10:10am
out rt 18 to 301 to black river school road, i believe the town is farmington, i have a card but it has no phone number on it, I'll grab it monday and and post the exact address, you know those guys at Mid Ohio?
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2006 at 11:48am
Eric, I am also interested in finding out where to take my seat I need re-upholstered. You got to love the Amish, great cheese too.
BTW- I went out to Mid-Ohio in Streetsboro the other day and they were packing up. They refered me to Tri-Lakes Marina (I forget where). I did some poking around on the internet sounds like they closed all of their stores. Anyway I went ahead and ordered some parts I needed off of DIM, they had everything I needed and seemed to know my engine very well prices seemed real good shipping was not much either.
The guys at Back Bay Marina in Springfield piss me off, they don't seem to know what they are talking about and always sell me the wrong thing. remember the starting problem (had the wrong starter, turning the wrong way) they sold it to us. they sould have known. I called and asked them if they had the packing flux rope I needed for the driveshaft packing, they said "sure we have that" when I got there the old guy didn't seem to know what I needed, went back and pulled out an old dusty box full of mostly dried up useless flax rope. He was able to scrounge up about 6 inches of what I needed. I will only go back for emergency.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2006 at 4:26pm
Randy, Mid-ohio is no longer, tri-lakes is the new mastercrap dealer and besides back-bay there is Vandevere in akron for cc.. when i recommend someone i bite my tongue, i know of these cc dealers from doing transmissions for them i dont know how they perform as businesses. mid-ohio always had a good reputaton for service. Dan down at back bay is also a nice guy, I dont know who the old guy is though. as for the re-uhpolstering thing i'll post the info tommorow

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2006 at 7:26pm
hey eric is mid ohio closing??the one in streetsboro ohio.if so ill have to go see chris and james and all the guys,
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 9:44am
James bought a place that will be called tri-lakes which will he will be selling mastercrap's, Chris will work there, partner i dont know...It seems like mid-ohio got in way to deep with overhead...speculation. here is tri-lakes number if you would like to contact them 330-325-1822 At one time maybe 6 months ago i approached chris and asked if the owner had any interest in selling and chris dragged his feet and thats when i knew something was happening there. then i ran into Ron former owner of rons marine and he filled me in and also james called me last week and told me what was going on.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 3:30pm
Eric-

I have been friends with the Vandeveer family for several years. They stand behind what they sell.

Tim
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 6:31pm
I have'nt heard any negative or positive feedback about Vandevere's I know they are very successful in the auto business, Im sure they are successful because of great customer service and will also apply to the their boat business. I know Dan down there pretty good he use to work for mid-ohio, I believe he handles all of the cc business down there. as i said above i bite my tongue when i recommend anyone, with any business you could have a positive or a negative experience. when it comes to correct craft dealers I turn into a politician. in this case i like em all.....Eric
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 12:40am
Sounds like a CC/Ohio reunion and wayfinding party.

Joe: Do you have any pictures how your boat came out. Love to see them.

If I buy skins from CC dealer, I can have a shop install them?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 8:19am
here is one of the amish re-uphostery shps:

joes tarp shop
            286 co. rd.40
            Sullivan, ohio

take the family on a nice saturday drive on a nice fall day
meshbackhats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meshbackhats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 3:05pm
Hey Randy_in_Ohio or eric lavine
I'm in the akron area and looking around to purchase a correct craft this winter, have you seen any in the area for sale?

thanks
Emmet
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 3:39pm
what is your price range and what exactly are you looking for, there is a couple for sale in my neighborhood    eric
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 4:15pm
Thanks for the info Eric. looks like a nice Saturday trip to see the Amish is in order soon.

Are you sure they will have white upholstery? I have only seen them use black and, as the photo shows, occasionally dark blue.

Meshbackhats- Howdy neighbor! I Don't know of any. Eric seems to have alot of contacts in the area. I'm sure if any are for sale he can find them. You may want to look in the cla$$ified section on this site, it may be worth a drive to get what you want. Welcome to the group, this is a great place you have found.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 12:25pm
i wonder if(ex) mid-ohio has any for sale, anyway I smell an auction in the near future.....maybe    
I better call chris or james to see if they will be having an auction
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 1:14pm
I call em winkies.... when you drive buy them they wink at you

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 9:34pm
hey meshbackhats,what model of correct craft are you looking for?i drive truck in n e ohio area,i will keep my eye out,theres a nice nautique excel in aurora ohio on this websight,looks good ,it is right around the corner from me if you want me to take a look.dan in streetsboro,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meshbackhats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 11:07pm
Thanks for all the replies guys.. I am looking for my 1st boat looking for something I can put some work into over the winter (keep myself out of the bars, in theory) I just moved back to this area and my parents are on a lake so I figure its not a bad idea.. I wakeboard so definately looking for something that throws a good wake, or something that can handle putting fat sacks into. I really like the Ski Nautique 2001's but they seem to be a bit out of my price range.. the late 70's nautiques have been cathing my eye also... I have a fair knowledge of boats but I'm down for learning and doing a lot of the work myself as well.
thanks a lot guys,, a lot of great information on this forum. I've been doing a lot of reading.

Emmet
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 7:50am
dan, ill stop this morning, i live in aurora shores and there is an add hanging on the telephone pole at the entrance, ill look at it this morning

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2006 at 11:21pm
hey eric if your ever going thru streetsboro ,drop by and check out my 70 project,could use some expert advice,will be working on it this weekend maybe,carb should be back from shop tommorrow,1001 fairacres ave,off south delmonte,off of frost
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2006 at 7:44am
i may pop in on you, your real close, are you close to 14? eric
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2006 at 7:47am
talke to chris and james yesterday and they told me they had one boat on consignment, 1988 with 1000 or so hours he said the would take $10200.00 you know what i said.... i bet he would.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2006 at 11:50pm
eric im between rt 43 and 480 off frost rd,s delmonte to fairacres,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2006 at 8:52am
Dan, I know exactly where you are, if i dont stop today it will be in the near future, saturdays at this time of the year are touch and go. i get slammed with winterizations and (pushy people)(nice people too) if i dont get it done today i have to do it tommorow and i dont like that idea

eric
pn48513 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pn48513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2006 at 12:14am
emmet, did u find a boat yet? i have a 79 in process of rbuilding that the wife prefers i'd sell.
DeepCreekNauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2006 at 11:49am
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

As my ski season comes to a close I am contemplating re-upholstering my 95 interior (or having someone do it). Carpet looks worn too.

I've seen som ratty looking amatuer jobs, and some cheesy looking pro jobs complete with diamond tuck vinyl.

Not all my vinyl is trashed. The back seats are cracked, and all of the top surfaces are thin and brittle. Some have mildew stains I can't get out.

Suggestions?
DeepCreekNauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2006 at 12:05pm
We did a re-up our interior on our 86. After getting some sky high quotes from area marina shops. We discovered a better alternative. Just like you, we only needed to replace a few areas in the boat. To keep costs down, at the end of each season we removed 1 or 2 worn seat bottoms & sides panels and took them a local motorcycle shops (most do upholstering work). The cost was about 50% less since they jobs were considered small and they had all winter to complete the work. They were able to match the color spot on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meshbackhats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2006 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by pn48513 pn48513 wrote:

emmet, did u find a boat yet? i have a 79 in process of rbuilding that the wife prefers i'd sell.

hey paul
pictures and info would be great. Email me
emmet_leahy(at)yahoo.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic