Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbuffing gelcoat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2006 at 6:16am
Thought I'd revive this post, since some of us northerners (like me) are pulling their boats for layup and doing some cosmetic work before we tuck them away. I just pulled my weathered decals off the boat (so far everything but the large "SKI NAUTIQUE" letters) using a heatgun (at low temp) and a small putty knife. I'd recommend not using any razors, it tends to dig into the gelcoat to easily. The vinyl decals heated up real quick and they scraped off very easily. I then used a light solvent (mineral spirits) with one of those green scrubby pads and lightly removed the sticky scumm. Clean with soap and water, then used a Turtle Wax rubbing compound by hand to bring back the original color. Took me about 2 hours per side. Fading wasnt too bad, no need for any type of mechanical buffer. Now that the compounding is complete, I could use some tips (sounds like Stang72 might have some) on a few good products for waxing and polishing. Thanks.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 10:06am
Todd...yes be carefull around decals and graphics...you can go over them with the finishing wax and buff...but at the slowest speed and keeping the buffer moving! Or to be safe...by hand..or use your rotory! The rotory work nicely for finishing wax and graphics!

I'll give ya all the product lowdown at the lake!

Grit...if wet sanding? Depends on what you want to do...my guess on a 93 you won't need to hit it that hard. I would start with one small section using 800, followed by 1000...high speed buff with compound and see how it looks. You might get the results you want using just a heavy cut coumpound and no wet sanding...I have a 3m coumpound that is equal to 800 grit.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

weitekampt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 11:59pm
Thanks guys! I am sorry for being late on replying, but I am in Iowa on business. Just figured out the hotel wireless. I will consider looking into a high speed buffer this fall (or maybe before the mini-reunion at Shelbyville). Will it tear up the decals? I am only concerned about the "ski nautique" on the side. I don't really like the flag on the side. Already took the smaller decals off. I am really discouraged about the color difference after removing the small decals on the side. If you could give me some sunshine on the decals and grit compound I would appreciate it!

Later!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2006 at 1:10am
Right you are DavidF...you can put burn marks in...but you have to be using a real heavy cut compound and leave it in one area too long or too dry!

Buff the hell out of it! I use a high speed buffer with 3M perfect it III...great results...follow it up with micro finish and wax. High speed rotory will do much more than the orbital(if you want that gla$$ look)...orbital buffers are nice for waxing!

Todd...it just so happens, that I emailed you on this subject about a hour ago (before seeing the post)....using a good compound and finish with a high speed buffer will make it easier to clean your hull...taking down the pores left by oxidization! That Minn. river Green Sh*t will go away with little effort!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2006 at 10:48am
The only real damage you can do to gelcoat is burning it with a high speed polisher but then only if you work at it. Nothing to worry about with an orbital buffer.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2006 at 9:41am
You'd have to do a LOT of buffing with some serious compound to go through the gelcoat. Gelcoat is much harder than paint, and CC puts it on pretty thick (1/16" maybe?). I wetsanded my top deck, starting with 320 grit and ending with 1000. I then hit it with several grades of compounds and polishes on a rotary buffer.

I dont think you have anything to worry about. Polish away!
weitekampt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2006 at 8:50am
Can a person buff the boat too much. I have a craftsman car buffer from sears. It is a low speed orbital jobber. Does a fantastic job. I use a polish/sealer on the boat and it looks great. I am concerned that I can buff too much. I know I have waxed my truck too much and I have taken the pigment out of the paint. BAD.

Any suggestions?
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic