Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT-40 question
    Posted: September-06-2006 at 12:12pm
What in the world does GT-40 mean?
Is it just referring to the engine having GT-40 heads? They just have bigger valves, right?
Does anybody know what the 40 stands for?
What does GT mean?
Seems like everybody has a GT, even Ferrari.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 5:03pm
I have been told it's a reference to the Ford GT-40 race car. GT stands for Grand Touring, Don't know about the 40.

Heads are similar to what the GT-40 Car had for heads, and they have larger intake and exhaust ports and valves. Gives a 35hp increase.

I could be wrong........ but we won't know until 79nautique shows up again. He will have the answer.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 5:17pm
Not sure where the "GT40" name came from, but the 60's race car is a pretty good guess.

I believe the heads debuted in the early 90's on the Ford Mustang Cobra (302). They have larger valves than the stock 351w heads and outflow them across the board. PCM started offering them on the ProBoss (HO carb'd) motors starting in '91 or '92. In '95, PCM introduced a Multiport EFI 351w motor, and they named it "GT40." Naturally it has GT40 heads.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by todicus todicus wrote:

Heads are similar to what the GT-40 Car had for heads,

Pull over...and let the ludes wear off.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 7:58pm
Damn, is it that obvious ? Now I've got a bad case of the noids........
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 10:08pm
eewwww!

anything that ends with 'oids can't be good.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 10:08pm
Mine is carbuerated w/ the gt 40 heads...
does anyone know the diff in hp between the gt 40 and my motor? My title says 310+ h.p.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
rmcdonald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2006 at 10:26pm
Hi All

Don't know about the heads.

But the GT40 race car was named after the racing category it was trying to win.
GT: Grand Turismo or Grand Tourisme category
One to the regulations of the category was the the overall height of 40 inches at the windscreen.

Hence GT40.

Regards
Rob
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2006 at 2:41am
rmcdonald....
"GT: Grand Turismo or Grand Tourisme category"
Explains why Ferrari would have one!

The Dude..."My title says 310+ h.p."
A ten horse penalty for no mullet!

It just seemed like everbody had a GT.
Next: The Saturn GT
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2006 at 4:01am
Dude,

My 93 Pro Boss w/carb+Pro tech was rated at 300hp.

McD,

Good answer, I believe a company making parts and replica's of the original GT-40 also owned the name GT-40, Ford for whatever reason could not come to terms with them on using the GT-40 name for the new version of the GT-40, hence the name "Ford GT"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2006 at 9:08am
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

Mine is carbuerated w/ the gt 40 heads...
does anyone know the diff in hp between the gt 40 and my motor? My title says 310+ h.p.

I believe the carb'd HO motors with the GT40 heads were rated at either 285 or 300 HP (not sure what the differences were between the 2). The GT40 MPI was rated at 310.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2006 at 2:14pm
Differences in HP on the carbed Pro Boss comes from who your source is,CC,PCM, Ford... According to Chuck Thurman, Pres of PCM, Ford rates the block at 285 HP, but PCM's dyno was conclusive that the pro tec engine mgmt system adds HP. He said the carbed pro boss makes in excess of 300 hp. Pro Boss puts over 50 more horsepower to the prop than the standard 5.8 litre 351.
Original specs..285 hp measured at prop w/ 1:1 inline trans and 295 hp at the crank.
This is all info i got from the 1993 PCM newsletter, "talking torque". The newsletter was givin to the original owner by CA. Correct Craft and I still keep it in my owners manual.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic