Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Runs hot --sometimes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
RA76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RA76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Runs hot --sometimes
    Posted: July-25-2006 at 3:58pm
I have a '72 Skier. Took it out and ran fine while pulling a my wife on skis.   Later that day took person on tube. Temp went up to 220. I turned it off and let it cool. Started again and while at low speed the temp began to climb, then sped up and temp fell to normal. This boat has done this same thing to me twice. It runs great, but I wonder if I caused any damage. Also took impeller out, no missing pieces, but some grooves in it. Previous owner replaced right exhaust tube because of similar problem, but not the left. Replaced impeller anyway. Please help.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2006 at 4:14pm
Sounds like you are sucking air somewhere. Check to make sure all your hose clamps are tight. If you have a strainer, make sure the gasket is in good shape and that its screwed together real tight.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2006 at 10:11pm
The impeller doesn't have to have pieces missing to be worn out. The tips can be worn flat which effect its pull.
Tim D
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2006 at 10:25pm
check your oil cooler. its quick to check and if thats the problem it wont cost you a dime
88skisupreme View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

The impeller doesn't have to have pieces missing to be worn out. The tips can be worn flat which effect its pull.

The housing can wear out too and you might have to replace the whole raw water pump. But check everything in line before you replace the whole thing.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 5:43pm
That's true, some pumps you can replace the inside where it pulls across the openings.
Tim D
RA76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RA76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2006 at 1:45pm
I replaced the impeller and checked the oil cooler, it was clean. I am going to try it out this weekend and hopefully that will do. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the help and info.

RA76
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic