Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Normal Engine Temperature

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BobbyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Normal Engine Temperature
    Posted: July-24-2006 at 10:45am
I have a 98 Sport Nautique with a GT40. I have noticed that my engine temp is about 210 even after being in the water for 15 minutes. Is that normal and what temp should it be?
Bobby G.
98 Sport Nautique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2006 at 11:20am
210 is too high. Should be around 180 or lower. First and foremost, check the condition of the raw water pump impellar. Next check the thermostat. If the impellar has lost blades, you need to find them. Look at the thermostat first. Next, remove the exhaust riser and look in it.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2006 at 6:05pm
You will not find any impellar pieces in or on the thermostat. If there were any pieces stuck in the thermostat it would run cooler.
Tim D
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2006 at 10:36pm
also check your water inlet (bottom of boat) for a clog, and your water filter/strainer for gunk.
BobbyG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2006 at 11:33pm
can anyone tell me the best way to determine the reason for the overheating? whether its the thermostap or the impellar pump not working.... How difficult is it to replace either of those items myself and should I go ahead and replace both while at it? i called a couple of certified marinas and their booked till the end of september.

also, earlier in the year, i installed a flush pro kit on the water hose between the water inlet hole and the raw water filter. before installing the kit, the hose was angled up slightly into the water filter. i never cut the hose a few inches shorter and now the hose curves close to a 90 degree angle.........but there is no kinks or pinches in the hose. could this be causing the water pressure from the lake not to reach the impeller pump. does the impeller pump actually suck in the water or only operates to pump water into the block only.
Bobby G.
98 Sport Nautique
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2006 at 11:46pm
You may want to put your flush pro kit after the raw water filter instead of before it. A 90 degree angle isn't bad if it's over enough space. If it's tight you may have a problem.

Start with your impeller like mentioned above. Remove your water pump and inspect the impeller. If there are pieces missing, go looking like mentioned above. This stuff isn't hard, but you don't want to run an engine at 210. That's too high.

Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2006 at 9:17am
Go ahead a change the thermostat, it's not that hard. It's probably very rusty and get some blue gasket maker silicone, it helps to seal and hold pieces in place while you're reinstalling. And the impeller doesn't have to have pieces broken off to be worn out. Inspect the tips of the impeller. If you see slight flat spots on the tip of the blades it is worn.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic