Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

leaned out 351

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
larry williams View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larry williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leaned out 351
    Posted: May-27-2004 at 12:38am
heres my problem - I got a 351 in an 82, and when you throw the throttle down it seems like the engine leans its self out for about two seconds then picks it self back up and runs fine. From reading the topics around the page its sounds like im not the only one having problems like this. Is this a vacuum problem on the carb or is it a timing problem on the engine? The engine runs great after it does this, and if you ease into the gas it won't do it, can someone please help me I'm drowning my little brother on his slalom ski!

thanks- all show and no go
Steven Martini View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2004 at 2:40am
I am having a similar problem.
It sounds like you have a possible vacuum problem. Make sure all of your vacuum lines are intact and connected. Also you may want to swap the points in your distributer cap. I would guess your problem is in the iginition. Check your timing, plug wires and make sure you have no vaccuum leaks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larry williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2004 at 11:20am
Steven i have electronic ignition on the engine, so would that being said would your advice still apply?

thanks- lovin high gas prices
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2004 at 11:47am
Sounds to me like the accelerator pump in your carb might be shot, or out of adjustment.

The accelerator pump gives the engine a little shot of fuel anytime you move the throttle lever, once you're up to speed and not moving the throttle it does nothing.

I've heard of problems like this with engines that have incorrect ignition timing as well.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larry williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2004 at 12:37am
where could I find an accelerator pump for a 4160? if i could find it how much would it cost? A little bird I know said that the main jet could be a little gummy but who knows until I open the beast up! All I know is that when you drop the hammer the engine revs up but has no go! then after about 1-2 seconds runs like richard pryor going up in flames! the top end is solid but the hard acceleration is lacking because of the engine stumbling.

thanks- lovin those sunset cruises!
steven martini View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2004 at 2:54pm
I am having the same problems that you guys are having. Especially Larry Williams. Anyways, I have an electronic ignition as well. Check the plug wires to make sure that they are not corroded. Then have the carb rebuilt or do it yourself. The rebuild kit is $40 and it does not take a genius. Any marine will have it for you. Also, replace your fuel filter and make sure that you dont have *#$# clogging up the fuel line. One of those should fix her.

Thanks- Loving June Gloom in California
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2004 at 7:42am
hey guess what! I have the same problem in my 84! So here is what i have been told... check the fuel! Fuel filter is probably clogged or the jets on your carb maybe be plugged slightly.

A little trick someone told me... take the air filter off (flame arrestor) bring the boat to 2500 or so RPM's and put your hand or something over the carb.. The engine will try it's hardest to suck air into the engine, hence, possibly freeing any dirt that may be in the jets... keep it there until it stalls out.

I have not tried it yet. I have been battling this damn thing for about a month, but I usually do not run at high end anyways....   I would bring her up to 40+mph, then you here it start to lean out.. or miss.... if you don't catch it and pull back, she will backfire very quickly.....

just remember, it's all fuel related from there..    Throw some cleaner in your tank... I have seen tanks in 2001 series and older boats go bad eventually. They may have great big globs of crap in the bottom of the tank....

cheers!

84' 2001 (for sale!)

92 SNOB... ah... something a little newer to play with
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic