NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351w rotation question for all you smart guys

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dockedwages1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dockedwages1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351w rotation question for all you smart guys
    Posted: October-27-2016 at 7:54pm
My model number is PRD WR-R10. I think the starter rebuilder gave me the wrong starter. All pulleys are turning clockwise and the rotor is as well. From what I've read I have a RH motor and everything should be turning the other way. I've done exactly what Pete has said not to do, which is throw a lot of new parts at this problem. I have learned how to use a vom though. My question is do I have the wrong starter if all these things are spinning the wrong way?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dockedwages1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2016 at 8:07pm
Obviously motor turns over just won't fire. Since this has started I've replaced plugs, wires, points, condenser, ballast resistor, ignition switch, ground cables, rebuilt carb. All this and it seems this starter was the problem the whole time. Oh and I found a crack in the exhaust manifold, so I replaced that and the riser on that side and got new gaskets of course. Have to replace the other side this winter. The only thing is I'm getting 12volts on both sides of the new ballast resistor. Can you wire these things backwards?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2016 at 8:47pm
If there is no current flow, you will get the same voltage on both sides of the resistor. Nothing wrong there.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2016 at 8:59pm
The rotor going Clockwise means that you have the wrong rotation starter installed in the engine.

At least you have some spare parts now as long as you didn't throw 'em out.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dockedwages1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2016 at 9:22pm
So when I order one, do I need the a right hand rotation starter or left? Just making sure. Thanks for your input and knowledge.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2016 at 9:44pm
You need a CCW rotating starter for your RH rotation 351w The link has good info on rotation
starter rotation link

An ARCO part number is 70101 for the old style and 70201 for the new style. The new style is smaller and takes a minor wiring change.

You could use those for cross referencing or go to the Discount Inboard Marine website, they'll have the correct one of one brand or another. They only list the new style these days.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dockedwages1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 12:38am
Okay thanks. I looked on there and only saw the other ones. I will call tomorrow and get one ordered up.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 10:10am
So you dropped your old starter off at a shop & they gave you back a wrong one?    Have you talked to them about this?    
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 10:22am
There's probably somebody right now wondering why his old Ford pickup won't start after he put in a freshly rebuilt starter from that shop. And he'd never suspect he ended up with a backwards rotating boat starter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic