NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Guy, First Boat, 1987 SN2001

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2016 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by edwardsjr1 edwardsjr1 wrote:

so this would work?

Yes.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
edwardsjr1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwardsjr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2016 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by rebel skier rebel skier wrote:

Jon,

I want to see a pic of what they did to the back of the boat when you have a chance. I am wondering if what you called a storage box is some kind of poor mans ballast tank that they filled with water for weight.

Here you go, its a storage box... with no seat back. Who knows why

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwardsjr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 1:49pm
after getting the carb rebuilt I still cant get the boat past 2500 rpm. The secondaries are not opening. ideas?
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 2:21pm
holley 4160? Who rebuilt it? Did the secondary diaphragm get changed? Is the power valve correct? What do the primary jets look like from idle up to 2500 rpm? Is 2500 rpm at WOT?

secondary don't open until there is enough vacuum, so you need to be 3/4 throttle or better i believe.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 2:41pm
More likely an ignition issue. How does your timing curve look?
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2016 at 2:56pm
If it still has points I would be checking Dwell. I just helped a local with his and it hit a wall at 2500 and popped and sputtered after that. New points and set dwell. Smooth as glass to 4800.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwardsjr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 12:05pm
Thanks Guys, I will be checking the entire ignition system. Ill let you know how it goes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwardsjr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2016 at 11:02am
I moved some things around and installed a new, mechanical 650. I checked the vacuum and its 5 inhg at idle. I read its supposed to be at 17 for a fresh engine. Could this be the reason the secondaries weren't opening on the stock carb?

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2016 at 11:37am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

That's an Indianapolis drivers seat conversion for the vertically challenged

It sure looks like the Indy conversion!
Edward,
Do you remember the sellers first name?

Yea get me seat info!!!

For sure, if its not pulling much air through the front venturi it won't be enough flow to pull the secondaries open.

Do a compression test first and see where you stand. If it has good compression do a leak down to make sure the valves are sealing properly.

If all that checks you need to be looking for a large vacuum leak. Plug off the PCV when you are testing vacuum fyi.
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2016 at 11:54am

I moved some things around and installed a new, mechanical 650. I checked the vacuum and its 5 inhg at idle. I read its supposed to be at 17 for a fresh engine. Could this be the reason the secondaries weren't opening on the stock carb?

After you're done testing, be sure to replace that automotive carb with a marine specific one so you don't turn your engine compartment into a bomb.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2016 at 12:04pm
Good call, also you need a braided USCG approved fuel pressure line from the pump to carb. Would also probably ditch the fuel pressure gauge setup.
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2016 at 12:21pm
I have a deluxe stern seat that came out of a 1985 Ski Nautique I will sell.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2016 at 3:00pm

Thanks Guys, I will be checking the entire ignition system. Ill let you know how it goes.

So.............what do you have for an ignition system ?

Points? electronic conversion?

If you have points, maybe you should read this about the missing spring

the missing spring

What's the firing order written on top of the wires at the distributor cap?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwardsjr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 11:06am
timing was off. Engine seems to be running perfect now. I still haven't lake tested.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic