Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holley 4160 dumping fuel

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holley 4160 dumping fuel
    Posted: July-17-2016 at 9:51pm
Renew kit from Skidim primaries shoot fuel when linkage moves but fuel loading up in # 8 cyl no visible drip from secondaries either- have rebuilt many hollies but this is stumping me
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
1967 Chris Craft Cavalier
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 9:39am
Since you are a veteran Holley rebuilder it seems strange that you would have made a mistake. If it is not visibly dumping fuel then   I suspect a lose of ignition in the #8 cylinder. Check for spark on #8 . With it running pull the plug wire and see if you have a lose of power or a miss. Odd that only one cylinder would be affected.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 9:55am
Spark in # 8-drivin me nuts??????
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 10:21am
You have to be dripping fuel from somewhere and gravity drain is pooling in #8. You mention secondaries have no dripping and accelerator pump shot is good but you didn't mention anything about no dripping from primaries.
Either the new needles and seats are leaking and not shutting off fuel flow or float levels are too high. I don't know what else could be causing the issue. Common knowledge here that new needles/seats have been troublesome in more than a few rebuild kits in the past few years.

Nothing else changed other than the carb rebuild?

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 10:30am
No other changes-pulling the carb today and going thru it again-I'm going to lower the float level in the front bowl,and check the needle seat under some air pressure-appreciate the advice
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 2:03pm
After thinking some more: Backfoot is probably correct, no reason for ignition to fail at this point. Reasonable to assume needle and seat problem or other carb issue.

Side note::: I just pulled the trigger on a new Quick Fuel marine carb. Waiting on it to get here so I can bolt it on.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

After thinking some more: Backfoot is probably correct, no reason for ignition to fail at this point. Reasonable to assume needle and seat problem or other carb issue.

Side note::: I just pulled the trigger on a new Quick Fuel marine carb. Waiting on it to get here so I can bolt it on.
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
Lakeview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lakeview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 4:54pm
Let me know how that quick fuel works out and if you send the part #
Lakeview
1992 Barefoot Nautique
1967 Barracuda SS
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2016 at 6:14pm
Several have put in QF carbs over the last couple years. Virtually all report good results. Much better quality than Holley with some really nice standard adjustment upgrades and even cheaper than a new Holley. QF M-600 is standard 600CFM vacuum secondary replacement. QF M-650 is 650CFM with manual secondaries and would require a new double feed fuel inlet adapter. A few have also put these on stock SB applications without a problem too.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic