Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Season Yet?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2016 at 7:48pm
It was a blast till she overheated and cut-out on me.

Looks like the RWP wasn't pumping right. We would get 1-2 minute runs before heating up (which was as long as anyone wanted to ski anyway) then i'd let it idle can cool down. On DayTony's run the boat started to smell warm and ended up blowing a plastic elbow on the right side exhaust manifold which filled the engine box with steamy air and choked out the engine. The temp alarm never went off and the gauge was under what I've seen in the past so it looks like the exhaust manifolds took the worst of it. Chock this one up as a lesson learned. Thankfully it starts & runs fine off the hose so I ordered a RPW major rebuild kit and some new brass elbows to replace those S*itty plastic ones.

Here are some pix before she ended-up on the trailer.

rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2016 at 11:02pm
Do you have that spotter trained to bark when a skier is down?

lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2016 at 10:40am
Today should be a national holiday. Today the lakes open up here. Cant wait to go this weekend we are going to snow ski in the morning and waterski in the after noon.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2016 at 10:53am
You guys are tough. I don't get in the water until the air temp hits 100. Which, with the way the weather is going will be in a few weeks.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2016 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by lcgordon lcgordon wrote:

Today should be a national holiday. Today the lakes open up here.

Do you mean open as in ice melted or open as in they were previously closed to boating/skiing??
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2016 at 1:59pm
Shoot that water must be all of about 36 degrees. Noticed the ramps were open over in Natick on lake Cochituate, docks aren't in but the gate is open (probably because the electrical company pulling new lines on Rt 30 are using the back of it for parking their trucks) Ice cleared off about 2 weeks ago, so it should be good to go. Too bad I'm still months away (optimistically) of getting my BFN back together.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2016 at 2:15pm
Amazing that all that water in open in MA in February. Usually MA looks more like this in February.

lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2016 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Do you mean open as in ice melted or open as in they were previously closed to boating/skiing??

We have the zebra mussels so they do pre boating checks so they shut down dec 1st to march 1st. So they dont have to pay somebody when nobody is using the lake anyways. We have to drive 2 hours to go To the lake during the winter.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2016 at 4:49pm
funny thing(and im going by what Andy told me, i did not check his sources)
on that same day last season the temp was record low in that area.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2016 at 5:27pm
Way ahead of us, we still have ice fisherman drilling holes, The edges are starting to open up though, soon!!
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2016 at 2:47pm
We are getting closer but 9F last night is prolonging the agony.
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 12:18am
Our lake is still frozen . Fisher people still sitting on upside down buckets staring down into little black holes with quizzical looks in their eyes . 14 inches of white stuff yesterday. Ugg !!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 12:28am
Tony and Andy, were you just in long wetsuits? That had to be COLD! Like ankles are aching cold. Or did you have booties as well?

I'd like to join you guys one day if you'll let me, but think I'd wait for at least April!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 1:42am
I had a 3/4 mil suit and my "jumpsuit" on over top that.
the other guys that went also had wetsuits and a barefoot suit.
no booties though. yes it was numbingly cold on the feet.
I had booties but took them off to strap in the skis.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 12:53pm
I was going to go in November on the local river but then stopped at the launch on my way by one day, put my foot in the water for a minute, and noted the pain and decided I was done for the season. Kind of regretted not going.

Saying you skied in MA in February is pretty rare!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2016 at 8:25pm
I went today on the Merrimack River in Hooksett, NH. Was mid 70's in Concord, had to be close to that on the river. I skied, my friend wakeboarded. Water temp was 40 degrees. With a long wetsuit it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, just hands were a problem, couldn't do much with them after 30 seconds in the water. Once I got up they were fine, warmed right up. I tried to hop start, last time I did that was 25 years and 25 lbs. ago, failed and fell in so I just got up deep water.

I'm not sure I've ever skied in April, forget March 9th. It was awesome to be out there, such a gorgeous afternoon! I'll get a few more pics up later.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2016 at 12:00pm
nice

would love some video of the hop start!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2016 at 2:01pm
Hollywood - when you want to ski???
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2016 at 2:13pm
every day

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2016 at 2:37pm
Is youze guys ice out already? I was surprised to see New England all open already. Quite early, although I'm not sure to what extent it froze.

If you are still ice, come on down. This is a couple nites ago. Look at the forecast, Unfortunately the weather is out of sync with weekends.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2016 at 3:29pm
Larry, in my area (lakes region NH) there's still some ice around the lakes, and most don't have enough water in them to launch a boat. My friend just bought a house on Winnipesaukee and on Tuesday was able to walk out on the ice in the cove off his beach. We launched in Hooksett on the Merrimack, some side creeks that feed it were frozen over, and the fallen tree that was blocking one of the two launch ramps had ice all over it. I've only been skiing the river for 3 years and prior to that we had no options for cold weather skiing except some open areas on Winni.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2016 at 4:16pm
Here's the fail, not one of my stellar moments.
Hop Start Fail

Successful deep start
Deep start

A few cuts
Cuts

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2016 at 4:42pm
we all fall

looked like a nice sunny day
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2016 at 4:51pm
If you don't fail, you aren't trying hard enough!
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2016 at 7:07pm
Keep them coming fellas. I am out of the ski scene until late April - heck might as well be up north
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 2:56pm
got out saturday and sunday in MI...saturday was COLD...air 45, water COLD...sunday was much better...didn't even need a hat...3/26 was a new personal best for me...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
91NaughtyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2016 at 10:53am
We went out this past weekend here in Central NC. I wore a shorty wetsuit and it wasn't bad at all.

G
1991 Ski Nautique
(Previous)1984 Ski Nautique 2001
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2016 at 3:44pm
Surface water temp here hit 59 today, but the lake is still 5.5 feet to low. No buoys in yet.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2016 at 3:53pm
I don't know what the temps are but I can tell you it's plenty warm enough. General in-land fishing season doesn't start until May 7 so I got one more month to grab some glass. I already wasted 3 weeks and have not skied yet this spring. These house, dog and wife projects are all in the way! Yes I put them in that order.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2016 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by LeftFieldEngineering LeftFieldEngineering wrote:

What's the rooster tail coming from? Jet Tique?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic