Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turning Prop by Hand

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turning Prop by Hand
    Posted: June-02-2006 at 3:48pm
A few years ago on this site there was a discusion about owners being able to turn their prop while the boat is on the trailer,engine off and in neutral. That is something I have never been able to do and I was hoping for a little discusion on the topic.

Thanks
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2006 at 4:01pm
You should be able to turn it by hand, after you break the shaft free of the rubber strut bushing. The shaft tends to stick to bushing. Once free, if you cannot turn it by hand, then I would think that he strut/shaft alignment it poor or the packing is too tight. The transmission should offer very little resistance.
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2006 at 4:28pm
Ok, I can turn it. Maybe the other times were after it sat a while or i just didn't try hard enough to break it free of the strut.

Thanks
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2006 at 4:57pm
It should spin all the way around with the same resistance. If one position has more resistance, it's a sign of misalignment. Also, you shouldn't be able to wiggle it up and down or side to side.
Tim D
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2006 at 8:04am
OK, I was with you 'till the wiggle. My prop spins without binding all the way around, but I got no wiggle. HOw much wiggle is good wiggle?
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2006 at 8:23am
If it has some "wiggle play", that's a good sign the strut bushing is worn.
Tim D
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2006 at 10:09am
Oops, misread the post, I thought it said you should have wiggle, just didn't read it good when I was eating my generic brand Wheaties.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic