Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Voltage for my pro-tec swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voltage for my pro-tec swap
    Posted: October-24-2015 at 1:53pm
It is mentioned in another post that the D.U.I. needs 10.5 V. I have checked every post on the relay and get NO more than 9.7. ( not a place i can use. It is hot all the time)
BATT key on 12.38, start 11.09
TOP RELAY POST key off or on 12.49. Start 9.7
RELAY POST to 12.5 breaker key on 11.5. Start 8.2
RELAY POST TO NUETRAL SWTCH key on 0. Start 7.8
P WIRE key on 11.5. Start 8.3

Is my relay OLD and draging the voltage down? Or the starter?

desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2015 at 2:52pm
Check and clean connections between the battery and the starter or try another battery.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2015 at 3:39pm
Once you get the starting voltage fixed you have a couple of choices for the DUI connection. Either use the wire at pin P which is the key switched voltage or wire in a relay. When I do this to my boat I am going to wire in a relay. Using a relay will provide the DUI with as close to battery voltage as possible. The input to the relay would be from the 50 Amp breaker or rewire the 12.5Amp breaker and use it in series with the voltage from the 50Amp. The wire from P would be the control line, the output would go to the DUI and then use one of the ground wires. If you want to go this route I can draw a diagram for you if this doesn't make sense. For the time being just keep following JPASS'es write up. The relay would be easy to add after you finish everything else.
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2015 at 5:02pm
the path for the above voltages would come from the batt to the top post of the relay.

then to each side of the relay where I get +/- 2 V drop (with the key held to start) going to the 12.5 amp breaker, thru the breaker with no drop to the "P" wire.

so the question is: Is it normal to see a 2v drop thru the relay?   then.... is the relay causing it or is the starter?

Clark
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2015 at 5:57pm
Easy way to check is to remove the wire at the starter and run your test again. Most likely the starter though.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2015 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by malcolm2 malcolm2 wrote:

It is mentioned im another post that the DUI needs 10.5 V. I have checked every post on the relay and get No more than 9.7. ( not a place i can use. It is hot all the time)

Is my relay OLD and draging the viltage down? Or the starter?

It looks like you are dropping from 11.09 at the battery to 9.7 at the starter relay. There shouldn't be that much drop through a straight cable.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2015 at 6:51pm
deleted: I was confused
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 5:19pm
I tried this one today.... VOM on the large red wire that has been removed from the starter. turn the key and I got a 1v drop, from 12.45 with the key on to 11.4 with the key to start.

still with the starter wire removed, I checked my "P" wire voltage. and it was 10.9V.

Seems to me that the starter is struggling and pulling the voltage down.

I have a guy that will rebuild it. what is the recommendation from the group? Rebuild or buy a new one?

Clark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 5:49pm
When the starter is disconnected there is less current flowing and therefore less IR (current x resistance) voltage drop. I have never made these measurements but I think regardless of what the starter is doing you should still see the same voltage at the starter relay as the battery or very close.
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 7:39pm
Got a new solenoid and no starter connected and i get 11.1 at the "P" wire. When the starter is connected i get 10.1 at the "P" wire with the key at start. I found some of the drop. ;)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 8:30pm

Interesting. It looks like the voltage now at the P wire (10.1) is higher than what the input was at the top post (9.7) with the old relay. The voltage at the top relay post must have gone up also. Maybe just disconnecting and reconnecting the cables helped also. Looks like your getting close.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by malcolm2 malcolm2 wrote:

I have a guy that will rebuild it. what is the recommendation from the group? Rebuild or buy a new one?

New starter and starter switch / solenoid is my recommendation. I went through the same exercise and went new. 20+ year old boat for me and it made sense to go new.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 11:19pm
Took it to the rebuilder. Gonna be $75 to rebuild. Be ready tomorrow. He has also done the alt and the starter on my old porsche 914. Both are doing great.

Cool thing he actually confirmed that with the new relay i should get a voltage increase and i did get a slight increase thru the relay WITHOUT THE OLD STARTER CONNECTED.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 12:56am
I just want to add you have to go with what you feel comfortable with. I happen to live in an area that has quite a few rebuilders. It's way cheaper to get one redone than to buy new. Some here have found it better to buy new and it also depends on your core,if damaged it may not be worth rebuilding. Another factor may be a rare or unusual one,for example Holman Moody starters are not available they used a regular bodied starter combined with a short nosed drive housing. A regular starter is too long to mount into the bellhousing. Rebuild yours or one can be built up by combining parts. If a core refund is available never turn yours in for the core until you have the new one in and working.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 11:51am
Before I did the DUI I had installed a new relay and a rebuilt starter. Could be the reason I had no problems. My DUI upgrade ran like a champ all summer with no issues. It fires up with gusto every time.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Before I did the DUI I had installed a new relay and a rebuilt starter. Could be the reason I had no problems. My DUI upgrade ran like a champ all summer with no issues. It fires up with gusto every time.

Have you ever measured the ignition voltage at the DUI input (or at the 12.5 amp breaker) when the engine is running (not while it's starting)? Also, have you done any dash re-wiring?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 1:07pm
I copied this statement from a DUI technical article on one of the Hot Rod websites.

"Contrary to what some will also say, low voltage, as in still using the resistor or a resistor wire, will not kill an HEI module,. It will make the overall spark weaker exponentially as volts are reduced. After a certain level of volt input lowering, the module will simply stop working from lack of volts, and the system will simply not idle. Once again, low volts will not harm an HEI module, it'll just stop malking spark when it gets to the point it can no longer run on what isn't there. Add volts, it will come back alive again."

So the good news is that if your ignition running voltage is on the low side you are only losing performance not damaging the DUI. I don't think that was the case with the Protec's.
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 1:46pm
I thought I would put all the gotchas in one place.... So far, I have found or needed to upgrade...

1. the T-stat water pipe and housing clearance with the side of the disty cap
    a. I have purchased a thinner walled hose, not installed yet, but we shall see.
    b. I saw a post on an option to elongate the housing bolt holes and also someone
        added a spacer between the block and the lower housing.

2. the need to have 10.5v going to the D.U.I.
    a. using the "P" wire from the coil pack connector seems easy enough
    b. but it seems that the 23 year old solenoid relay and starter add a large voltage drop
        that needed to be remedied.
3. The "stop" on the base of the D.U.I. is taller than the base of the Por-tec. This makes
     for an uneven clamp.
      a. I added a few washers under the disty clamping block to even it up. You can see from this photo as I demonstrate the gap and easily slide a fresh wire connector under the hold down block.

4. I also removed ALL the excess wiring that used to be needed for the Pro-Tec system.
     Had to unwind and cut off all the electrical tape that was used on the wire harness.     also
     I disconnected the wires from the water and oil sensors used in the Pro-Tec and plan to rewrap all the remaining wires with tape or a corrugated type flexible wire cover.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 2:00pm
You should probably add any DUI/Protec replacement specific info to the JPASS thread to keep in all in one thread. I doubt anyone will ever search for por-tec. But it's good to keep the side discussions out of his thread.
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 2:10pm
In my case, the engine has not run. everything is still dismantled. Once I get the "P" wire to have 10.5v when the starter is connected, I can move on to measuring the plug wires, etc....

Are you asking KRoundy?

Is everyone assuming that DUI wants 10.5v as a minimum AT ALL TIMES? I expect the voltage to jump back to over 11.5 with the engine running.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 2:29pm
I know yours isn't running yet so I was asking KROUNDY. I am curious what voltage people are seeing either before or after they do the swap but you are first one to ever post any measurements. Thanks. Once the key is switched to the run position the voltage will come from the key switch/dash/ignition breaker switch so depending on how good your wiring is going to and from and through your dash you may see something less than 11.5. When the key is in the start position the voltage has a more direct path to the battery through the starting relay but that goes away when the key is switched to run. The "I" terminal on the starting relay supplements the key switch voltage to fire the ignition when the engine is starting. I have been looking through DUI info on the internet to try and find a minimum operating voltage but only found the statement that I posted above. The 10.5 starting voltage requirement came from the DUI manufactures website for your distributor but they don't specify a minimum running voltage but since it is a 12V system I would try and get as close to 12V as possible.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 2:47pm
When I did mine, I had plenty of voltage where needed. I never added any measurements to the original write up because I never ran into any issues. It was a pretty straight forward and trouble free install.

Definitely add your issues to the original thread so we can keep it all in one place.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

You should probably add any DUI/Protec replacement specific info to the JPASS thread to keep in all in one thread. I doubt anyone will ever search for por-tec. But it's good to keep the side discussions out of his thread.

I added a link from the ProTec Ignition Swap thread over to this one.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 3:16pm
As a fella preparing to do this, it stikes me that old dash wiring and old starter resistance could be the downfall of these units, ratjher than just the units themselves. I have no leaking coil packs but definately inconsistent firing..... the hunt is on with voltmeter in hand!

So, in summary:

just fix the dash wiring, fix the lack of relay and old battery wiring, fix the starter draw, then swap the DUI, and rewire the harness..... no problem........ (sheesh)!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 4:01pm
Sooo. A long time ago when my boat only had a few hundred hours on it I had intermittent ignition problems. The engine would hesitate and die under acceleration and sometimes would be hard to start. I could "cure" the problem temporarily by disconnecting, cleaning with alcohol and reconnecting the Protec and engine wiring harness connectors. So I did a little research and found the dash wiring problem which also caused gauge deflection when navigation lights are turned on etc.. although I never measured the voltage it must have been on the low side. After installing additional wires for positive and negative from the engine to the dash and a single wire from the ignition breaker switch to the key switch I have not had any Protec problems since. Engine has about 1500 hours currently. Therefore I believe that low voltage causes Protec problems and may contribute to overall failure of the unit. But I don't believe that all years of Protec boats have dash wiring problems. That's why I'm curious what voltage readings people are seeing. If the running voltage is close to battery voltage then you can follow JPASS'es write-up and it should work just fine. If you have low voltage then there are a few ways to fix it and none of them are very difficult. The starting voltage issue is something I had not thought of until reading the DUI website and is a separate issue from the running voltage. I originally posted the wiring instructions that JPASS used in his write up but as we learn more about the system I think it's worth making sure we are installing the DUI correctly and getting max performance. I think the best conditions to make the reading would be on the lake under load at high RPM but if it is good at idle in the driveway that is a good sign.
malcolm2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malcolm2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 4:13pm
Clarification: I have been calling the power wire the "P" wire, cause that is where it USED to go. To the "P" on the EMS connector. To be clear that connector is gone and so is the trigger plug. so this "P" wire is really wire #26 coming off of the 12.5 amp breaker.

I am thinking that I might take a few more measurements and maybe take the 12.5 amp breaker out of this. The new wiring would come from the "I" terminal of the NEW relay. (on the left of the relay pictured below) This new wire can have a built in water-proof fuse and go to the power connection of the DUI. IIRC Jonny Quest made that suggestion to me. Seems like that path might have less resistance and 23 year old fusible links and breakers in it.

Won't hurt to measure and see. I can choose the path with the best voltage to the DUI.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 5:05pm
It looks like the fusible link is there to disconnect the ignition circuit from the starting circuit if a short occurs when the starter is engaged. If you connect your DUI wire to "I" instead of 26 you would need to either leave the connection at 41/42 on the breaker or connect them together and remove the breaker. I don't think I would remove the fusible link unless you replace it with a fuse. If you connect the DUI to "I" and leave the fusible link (or a fuse) and 41/42 connection then you have removed the fusible link from the starting circuit but you have added it to the running circuit. With the original wiring there is no current flowing through the fusible link when the key is in the run position only in the start position.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Have you ever measured the ignition voltage at the DUI input (or at the 12.5 amp breaker) when the engine is running (not while it's starting)? Also, have you done any dash re-wiring?

I've not tested the voltage at all. It ran fine so I never had a reason to do so. I could do some checks for you when I crank it up in the driveway this weekend to do the winterization? I followed the DUI instructions from JPASS for my install, so I am pulling voltage from that "P" wire too. Everything else is stock. Maybe I'm a lucky one with no mystery voltage problems.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 7:47pm
Correction - I did test the voltage when i was doing the installation. I remember this now. Forgive me as I'm fighting a cold and drugged up on cold meds.

I ran out to the garage just now and without the engine running I get 11.9 at the relay and 10.9 at the wire going into the DUI.

I have a lot more clearance than you on that t-stat hose. No issues there at all. Like JP, I thought this was a pretty simple install. Put it in and it worked great right out of the box.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 7:56pm
Here's a photo of the install. That hose is close, but it didn't interfere with my DUI. It has at least 1/4" clearance, perhaps up to 3/8". Does yours ride hard on that hose?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic