NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1984 Nautique Starter Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Trader144 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2015 at 6:17pm
Yes, I meant the solenoid that is attached to the starter; they all work when off the motor, but, it does not have 12.5 volts when off the motor.

The battery cable connectors are shiny brass now.

I think I found the issue after working through your guidance.

When I disconnect the starter from the solenoid/magnet, I get 12.5 in and out of the solenoid magnet when trying to start the boat (with solenoid magnet connected and starter disconnected). Also, I get 12.5 out of the relay when trying to start the boat with this configuration.

When I connect to the starter, I now get 11.4 volts, so this means the voltage drop is inside the starter. So the starter must be dragging down the entire system even though it runs, the voltage drop caused by the starter prevents the solenoid magnet from having enough voltage to engage the flywheel.

Does this sound correct?

Should I pull the back off of the starter and look inside?

David

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2015 at 6:40pm
Do you have a picture of your starter?

The old style Ford starters (original) worked a little differently as far as how they engaged the flywheel. With you saying you have a solenoid right on the starter, sounds like you might have the newer type.
Trader144 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2015 at 6:48pm
Here is a picture of my starter; let me know if you need a better one.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2015 at 9:58pm
I would take the starter to a rebuild shop & have them growl test it.   You may have a shorted armature.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Trader144 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2015 at 12:16pm
After considering the time and low savings $$ from a rebuild I went with a new starter from skidim.

New starter is installed and it runs with a full 12.5v.

Thank you for your help.

Why do newer boats not have this ground issue plague?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic