Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

87 SN Top Speed?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gas_it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gas_it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 87 SN Top Speed?
    Posted: August-23-2015 at 11:38pm
First of all, many thanks to the wealth of information that I've gained from CCF over the last 2 1/2 years. I'm not worthy of your knowledge.
I have an 87 SN 2001, standard issue 351 PCM, just bought and got back in to skiing after 25 or so years. Yes, I'm an old man now. I used to love to barefoot back in my younger days, so I thought I'd give it a whirl again this summer. Yeah yeah, I know, I'm carrying an extra 20 pounds or so, but, I used to BF no problem at 39-40. My 87 SN is all out at about 39 mph and it's just not quite fast enough to get my fat butt going on the feet (I'm about 190# now). I'm curious to know if that speed is average? I used to ski behind a 76 SN & it would run about 43 or so. Can I re-prop and get another 3-4 mph out or her? I'm pretty prop ignorant and don't even know what's on the boat. I'm assuming there are probably some markings on it but I haven't gotten down there to look.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2015 at 11:51pm
42-43 is about right for that hull and engine. 39 is definitely under performing. I assume that is unloaded rather than with a footer in tow? I'd expect to hit 40, maybe 41 with a footer.

I'd start by going through the ignition to verify a good state of tune... Then I would invest in a modern prop. Acme 542 on that hull.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2015 at 1:34am
I can get 48-49 out of mine with A fresh acme 540. I meant to confirm that with gps this weekend but forgot the gps in the truck. Granted I've gone through the motor and replaced most maintained items (points,plugs, cap,wires,coil,ballast resistor, all new hoses, carb rebuild. Fuel system. I'm a firm believer having gone through all this now that getting the driveline all dialed in makes the biggest difference. No resistance on the motor and trans is going to equal better speed. Engine alignment, cut less bearing,strut alignment and shaft packing. If your prop isn't spinning freely with one finger fix it. Definitely rewarding when you get to that point.
Someday I'll try the 542 per tim's suggestion.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2015 at 4:04am
I think you have received great advice already on prop issues.
I barefoot at 40 + at 28 years old but now at 57 I am just fine barefooting at 37, the boat will go nearly 45 with a footer but I don't want to. If I foot now it is just for fun. I am just fine following the boat and avoiding face plants.   I come up deep water and it does make a lot more spray at the slower speed and I can't slide around side to side but heck it is still barefooting, 37 or 41 isn't it and I am 20 pounds heavier too. 175 became 195 unfortunately with less muscle tone for sure.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2015 at 8:39am
I suspect Joel has a freakishly fast boat on his hands or his GPS verification will be eye opening... I've never seen a stock 2001 (save for the 454 boats), let alone a late one run anywhere near that fast. Some of the healthier early (82-86) hulls can top 46, but even on those it seems 44-45 is more typical. The late boats (87-88) gained a little weight and pushed it forward with the deck change- so they're a little slower. Anything over 43 unloaded is going very well.

For that reason, the 540 is what I usually recommend for an early boat, and the extra 150-200rpm the 542 will spin is what I'd try first on a later boat. 4400-4600 is the wot rpm to shoot for to optimize all around performance.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2015 at 11:10am
I'll keep my fingers crossed till I get out again to confirm
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2015 at 11:19am
Judging by the first raft start at quinner's over the weekend I can say Joel's boat is running very well!
gas_it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gas_it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2015 at 11:57am
Thanks TRBenj, SWANY, MrMcD! I will look in to this prop you are speaking of. My past experience like I said has been 42-43.
MrMcD, if you're footing at 37, you & I weigh virtually the same, tells me I should be able to still foot at 39. According to rule of thumb calculations that I read, speed is = (weight/10)+20. That pretty much puts me at 39 or so. Your footing at 37 just reinforces that theory. It's been about 25 years for me. Maybe I'm trying to stand up too quickly and not letting the boat come to full speed. I'm going to give it another shot this weekend and stay on the kneeboard as long as I possibly can.
If not, we'll re-prop!
Thank you once again guys! As stated before, I'm not worthy of your knowledge.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 12:30pm
GPS 45 mph.... Air guides were adjusted to high. Little disappointed. All the more reason to do some engine upgrades
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 12:32pm
Still, 45 MPH out of an 87- hull is very good.

Have you checked all in timing Joel? There may be a little more power left on the table there.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 12:36pm
Sure felt like 45 mph on that first trick ski raft slider at quinner's...
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 12:45pm
[QUOTE=Hollywood] Sure felt like 45 mph on that first trick ski raft slider at quinner's...[/QUOTE
Oops.
I set timing at 12 at 650rpm if I remember right. Advance was working good at 31. Was a couple months ago I checked it again but I think those were the numbers]
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 1:34pm
Old Post from Dec 2010...... I believe the timing is at 10' BTC. haven't GPS'd top speeds on Miss Scarlett lately but I'm thinking 45mph???

WOW! Holy cow what a difference the 540 made on the boat. It's just as everyone has described here as the hole shot was incredible. The bow came up about half as much as it did with the Federal 13x13 and it was allot smoother. The boat seemed to handle more solidly and with just me and a 100lbs of weight on the observer side to balance it out she seemed to turn more solidly with less cavitation of the prop in high speed quick turns. I did (as expected) lose a little top end but it's rare that I throw the hammer down and run full throttle so that doesn't bother me. I did forget my notepad in the truck but took some snaps with my phone and recorded a few readings. It was money well spent and I too am looking forward to the first chance I have to ski and wakeboard behind her. Merry Christmas to me!

This is on a stock 351 with pointless ignition with 890 hrs on her using a GPS for velocity. Weather conditons weren't ideal with a little breeze blowing.

2200 - 22.2mph

2400 - 25.4mph

2650 - 28.3mph

3200 - 34.8mph

3550 - 38.1mph

3800 - 40.3mph

4600 - 43.5mph

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 2:24pm
45 is very respectable!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 2:45pm
As Zach said, 45 is great for a 87-88. What GPS were you using? A true Garmin or a reliable app (like Navionics) is recommended. I've played with a few 87-88's and have ended up in the 43-44mph range pulling every lever I have.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 4:09pm
12 at idle usually puts it at 31-32 all in on a stock dizzy. With premium fuel and 34-36 degrees you might find a little more speed but probably not an entire MPH.

When you set the things at the recommended 6-8 degrees you miss out on speed and acceleration. 26-28 degrees is just meh.

I leave mine at 32 and run 87 octane. Mine consistently gets into the mid 45 mph range and has ran as high as 46.2 in perfect water/air conditions. (85 long nose = faster by 2 mph or so).

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 4:39pm
Duh Zach, don't know what all the debate is about, doesn't the speedometer go up to 50mph?? Learned long ago that's how you know how fast it is!!
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2015 at 12:23am
My stroker finally popped one of my airguides...they dont like being pegged.
This is the life
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2015 at 12:58am
wet feet Andy?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2015 at 1:55am
A fresh coat of wax helped my dads boat by almost 2mph.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2015 at 2:59pm
HW---that was a rare epic fail moment. My only regret was not having my video on to capture it
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
1996 Nautique Super Sport
1988 Waterlogged Supra Mariah
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic