Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bad Temperature Sender or Gauge?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad Temperature Sender or Gauge?
    Posted: July-26-2015 at 10:31pm
My question is: Is the Temp Sender bad? Reads 490 Ohms at 93 degrees.

I have a teleflex temperature gauge that has started to bounce around. Thanks to Pete's earlier suggestion, I tested the Ohms at the temperature sender located near the water circulating pump.

Teleflex says to remove the tan wire from the top of the sender and connect an ohmmeter - one lead to the terminal of the sender and the other to the block. Approximate values are: 75 (room temperature) = 600 to 800 ohms; 212 degrees = 55 ohms.

Is this a linear relationship or is there a chart somewhere? Air was 93 degrees in the shade, engine was also 93 and my Ohm reading was 490.   A linear calculation shows a range of 530 to 705 ohms. Is 490 an indication of a bad sender?

Gauge read 160 with all power off. This makes me think the gauge is bad. I removed the tan wire from sender and cleaned its ring terminal. With key on and wire removed the gauge went to Zero showing infinite resistance. Next, grounded the ring terminal and watched the gauge spike to 240+.

I'll check voltage at the gauge next. It has 6 pin Deutsche connectors.. Guess I will separate the connector and check the lead in voltage for 10-16 VDC.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=842&title=Troubleshooting+Teleflex+Water+Temperature+Gauges
2007 Ski
2002 Ski
JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2015 at 10:05am
Cleaning the sender unit wire with sand paper and tightening the nut on top seems to have solved the issue... for now.
2007 Ski
2002 Ski
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic