Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battery Placement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
boeing777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boeing777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Placement
    Posted: May-04-2006 at 6:29pm
I am the proud owner of a 1979 Ski Nautique. I am presently in the process of restoring it back to original or as close to original as possible! I was wondering if anyone knows the exact placement of the battery for the boat? It currently resides in the ice chest/box.
boeing773
coreytread View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreytread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2006 at 6:37pm
on my 77 the factory location is inbetween the front seats and a little forward. hope that helped
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 3:14am
My boat is not a CC, it's a Ski Centurion instead. The battery on this boat is also located just in front of the observers seat. You don't see if until you fold the seat down. It sits on the floor in a plastic battery box. This seems to be a very good place for it because it is away from the engine heat, not much water ever gets in that area and if a spark occurs at the battery, it's away from the fuel tank. So I'm leaving it there. In my opinion if it weren't there, it's worth the money to extend the battery cables and put it there.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Kevin's '79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin's '79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 9:02am
'79 Ski Nautiques didn't have ice chest/box (If they did I have never seen one). The place in the floor that looks like an ice chest is actually the battery box. This would be the original placement for the battery.
boeing777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boeing777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 1:59pm
A few months ago I did a VIN ID search (on my '79)with Dave Hendrickson of Correct Craft and he told me the exact color scheme it was delivered as, and a list of options it contained. One of which he mentioned was the Ice box/chest. I noticed the picture of one on the brochure on this forum of the chest, but like you (Kevin's 79) I as well did not know they may have had them or always seemed that was the battery box. If I did not hear it from CC I would not be so skeptical!
boeing773
coreytread View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreytread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2006 at 6:42pm
The earliest I have seen was an 82 year model and the ice chest was exactly same width and depth as the battery box, the owner says it wasnt really all that useful.
Jared Johnston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2006 at 5:34pm

I've been restoring my 78 since last July and it's almost done (FINALLY!!). I think I should point out that in my opinion (hubmle as it may be) the battery box was the cause of most of the floor damage in my boats floor. The area surrounding the battery box had more water (in the foam) than any other area. The box it self was glass but had a "drain" that was supposed to let water escape to the bilge. This system apparently did not work at all and because water eventually built up there in the box, ultimatly giving the water a nice low spot in the hull to sit in and soak into the foam. I commend your interest to make your boat just like it was, but I think puttig the batter back in the floor isn't the best idea. I asked my self the same question 6 months ago, and decided to go with a batter box right in front of the passenger/spotter seat, above the floor, and on top of the "ramped up" floor beneath the bow. By placing it to the left, I am expecting to offset any inblance I would otherwise get while driving the boat alone (because the battery will help offset the drivers weight). The 79 though originally came with the battery box in the floor like these guys are saying, or at least it sure seems that way in every other 79 I've seen.
A boat is just a hole in the water to toss your money into. Here is mine! http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=865&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic