NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Skiing Etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2014 at 10:24am
Just ask....
We were at Keywadin last week at sunset butter and it was glassed over nicey nice. Two runs in and along comes Mr. Tube. I drove up to him and said "the conditions are epic right now". "Would you mind tubing on the North end while we stay down South?" He says sure and we all lived happily ever after.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2014 at 12:41pm
Gail did the same thing on Lanier a couple months ago when IAughtNaught came to hang with the Lanier crew. He was getting ready for a barefoot run when in came a Sea Ray getting ready to mess up the best water on the lake... gail, waved her arms asking the guy to stop and he did..He stopped, watched Adam then trolled over to where we were rafted up.... We thanked him for doing that and for doing so I offered a him a pull behind a real ski boat which he jumped at the chance.... He ended up hanging with us and the Deen boys got him footin for the first time by days end. Never hurts to ask someone to have some courteousy for the sake of good water.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2014 at 12:48am
a slingshot or pellet gun is an effective tool for jetskiers and idiots
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2014 at 10:45am
I like Tim and John's style. On a lake I frequent I would try this in the early am or evening but holiday weekends it's just not feasible. as soon as 1 tuber would agree to leave, 3 more super airs or cobalts with tubes would take their place!

On the river friday, water was beautiful until I zip up by bf suit... all the sudden three jet skiers emerge from the depths of hell trying to show us their 180 skills.   
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 1:13am
Had to reply even though the thread is old...
Here in North Idaho we have similar issues, although we are on a big lake, (Priest Lake) with plenty of ski bays. However, does anything piss you off more as a slalom skier who loves calm water, than some yahoo coming in with bow high (tuber, beginner wake boarder or whatever) creating a huge wake while you are hitting your line? Want to throttle them... However, we take turns with other ski boats.. We take our line, then while our next skier is prepping the other boat goes, then we go and they prep... Rarely more than two or three of us. Sorry, but I hate wave runners and the like...They come from out of nowhere into our calm bays thinking they are hot Sh$t...
We call it "training for September" until after Labor Day and try not to get too upset. Luckily I ski with my wife and another gal, and they talk me down...
We are in September now and lovin' it... 4 skiers, 9 long runs and no other boats this morning!
As we like to say, "we put the 'FU' in FUN!
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 3:16am
Originally posted by mtguy mtguy wrote:

However, does anything piss you off more as a slalom skier who loves calm water, than some yahoo coming in with bow high (tuber, beginner wake boarder or whatever) creating a huge wake

So you're saying that it's the beginner wakeboarders that prefer the huge wake? Some amazing pro tricks are pulled off massive double-ups. Maybe you're saying experienced wakeboarders would respect a ski boat already in a cove, which is what I would do when driving.

I gotta say, some of the posts in this thread sound almost whiny. It's public water and other boaters are constantly screwing it up for us and everyone else. When we pull a slalom skier, they want glass conditions. When we pull a wakeboarder, they want glass conditions. We very seldom pull a tube, but I suspect they would prefer glass conditions, too, and get their jumps off the wake. Only the wakesurfers don't seem to care about conditions, because they live in a world of their own wake's making, so they can cruise the middle of the lake back and forth, throwing a massive wake out toward everyone else. I don't think the solution is to say the others shouldn't be there. I've dealt with some tremendous wakes from heavies going down the Mississippi River, so maybe we should shut down river commerce... We just choose to smile and go look for good conditions somewhere else. The ultimate solution is to buy your own lake, I suppose, which means buying all the land around it and buying the politicians to remove any public ramps. That sounds most likely in Illinois...

All in good fun...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 11:02am
Yes, it's public water, and people can do as they please within the confines of the law... But that's not the point.

If it sounds "whiny" then I suspect there still may be a fundamental misunderstanding of the original gripe that barefooters and slalom skiers have. The problem with "everyone sharing the water" is that everyone's effects they have on each other's disciplines is not equal. Barefooters are most impacted by rough water- the least amount of wind chop or other boat wakes will make it impossible for that discipline to be performed at all- it's not just a "preference" for calm water, but a requirement to participate. Slalom is next rung down, especially if skiing a course, as calm water is required in that area to perform at a high level... A single rogue wake down the course won't necessarily knock someone off their ski (though it might), but it will interrupt timing and the run- a cut can't be re-timed to avoid the wake because the buoy is coming no matter what. Wakeboarding at a high level certainly requires calm water but a rogue wake here and there can be ridden through and a run paused- there is no fixed course or timing requirement in the sport unless you're practicing a canned competition run (again, VERY high level). Same thing for trick.

At the same time, you'll notice that the wake put out by the barefooters an slalom skiers is small, and their runs are relatively short in duration compared to the larger wakes and longer runs coming from the wakeboarders. Again, the impact each discipline has on the others is not equal.

Surfing doesn't require calm water last I checked, and tubing and Jetskiing are neither sports nor do they require skill, so they have no place sharing calm water as far as I'm concerned.
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 12:13pm
Tim nailed it. The fact is few will ever take their skiing as seriously as we do and I chalk much of the annoying behavior as just pure ignorance. At the end of the day, unless the offender is being completely egregious, I am happy that somebody is having a good time on the lake. I've done my fair share of time on a tube, PWCs, etc. so I too was once part of the problem. I just hope they see the light like I did someday, haha!

Being September the lake is definitely becoming far more quiet. Sunday morning I had the lake completely to myself, other than a few parked fisherman, and was able to get my longest barefoot run ever in, only being limited by fatigue. Yesterday we had the lake all to ourselves. Best slalom opportunity I've had in weeks. Also got my brother up on his own barefeet for the first time ever.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by boardersdad boardersdad wrote:

I gotta say, some of the posts in this thread sound almost whiny.

It's true... this is where we come to wine!

Some of us are just frustrated with the times... moster wakes are the fad these days and everyone has to equip them selves with the best... damn marketing! On our lake, G boats and wakesetters are a dime a dozen and less than 1% are actually being used for their engineered purpose. In fact most of the novice boarders I see behind them have a hard time crossing the wake and wouldn't dare try to jump it. And yes, they will start at 8am and are only interested in tubes, boards and surfers. They punish the shore lines and water conditions. And I ask for what? At least when they are pulling their tubes they can use the ski mirror. Nothing like watching a 23' Cobalt headed right for you with the driver turned around watching his riders!!!!!!!

The Seadoos just seem to need to be by ski boats... And I just find it crazy that most people would never let a friend or child borrow their boat... but a 60mph rocket... no problem, have a few beers and have at it!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Gail did the same thing on Lanier a couple months ago when IAughtNaught came to hang with the Lanier crew. He was getting ready for a barefoot run when in came a Sea Ray getting ready to mess up the best water on the lake... gail, waved her arms asking the guy to stop and he did..He stopped, watched Adam then trolled over to where we were rafted up.... We thanked him for doing that and for doing so I offered a him a pull behind a real ski boat which he jumped at the chance.... He ended up hanging with us and the Deen boys got him footin for the first time by days end. Never hurts to ask someone to have some courteousy for the sake of good water.

Nice Tim, Maybe he will turn into a future inboard owner!
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 1:22pm
That is a great technique, Tim...If you can't beat them, have them join you!
We have some young college boys as neighbors that like to ski the same place we do, but drive a crappy line and mess the water up something feirce. They are big kids so that's what we've done...invited them to ski behind a real ski boat rather than the under-powered Blue water... They now know the proper line to drive.
In many ways, I'm just happy to see kids that want to ski!
On a lake that is 26 miles long and a couple wide, you'd think that the big wake people would have the courtesy to stay out in the middle, but they want to be seen I guess.
My mantra: "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance"
Thank God it's September!
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
td_in_nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote td_in_nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 1:38pm
quote from mtguy - My mantra: "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance"

That is why I asked the question. I am new to boating (3 years now) and I want learn how to do it right, as well as teach my boys the proper way. I have been the "ignorant" one before, but would like to learn what is the right thing to do.

There have been some great suggestions in the post which is appreciated. I to forget that the lake is not my private oasis, but I do try to treat people with common courtesy. It ticked me off when I am getting 12 year old up on ski for the first time and someone does a victory lap with a tuber around my boat just after she got up for the first time after trying all weekend. But does not mean I have to do the same to the other users. Common sense and courtesy go a long way.

I really like the idea of inviting the offenders to join us.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 2:37pm
I applaud you for caring!

I also think it is good etiquette to put boat in neutral when skier, boarder, footer, even tuber is down and then troll back to skier in gear (unless skier doesn't signal they are ok). The only reason I feel it is ok to speed back to them is to protect them from oncoming danger.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by mtguy mtguy wrote:

In many ways, I'm just happy to see kids that want to ski!

This is pretty much how I feel. Anyone holding a tow rope basically gets the same respect. Now just learn to drive so we can all share the water.

So much damn tubing, it literally makes me sick. Many of them used to ski that seem to have thrown the towel in too.

Surfing, done in the middle, doesn't seem to throw that huge roller all the way across as your own wakes kind of combat the oncoming stuff, IF the water is big enough.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 4:38pm
Think its a problem with the equipment, every time I pull a tube thru the slalom course there is always missing buoys on the next pass
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 4:47pm
I understand and agree with the hierarchy of impact. And I agree with most of the comments in this thread, but not all. For instance, the comment that first come first serve doesn't apply to fisherman. If a boat is fishing the only smooth water, we'll wait him out or idle over and ask if he minds if we share the area with him. Most people are decent once they understand--the malice vs. ignorance quote is spot on. I've taught dozens of kids to ski (not 50, probably 25 to 30). That was my time and my gas money contributing to the sport. And we idle back to the down skier unless they need a guard. So I get it. I think 90% of the tube-pullers are selfish because they have no clue what's going on. At the same time, someone paid for that boat and is paying for the fuel, so they are a prime candidate to move up to skiing or wakeboarding. We carry an old Connelly Clutch beginner wakeboard with universal bindings for this very situation (terrible board but great for a novice). My son has wakeboarded with complete strangers, and in the end it improves the lake for everyone. So while I don't like tubers, I try to view them as potential riders. The day all the tubers disappear we will have very few people enjoying watersports, and speed and wake limits will be more easily passed by those who want quiet. The trend around here appears to be to make the slow-no-wake zones larger, so be careful what you wish for.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 4:58pm

So while I don't like tubers, I try to view them as potential riders. The day all the tubers disappear we will have very few people enjoying watersports, and speed and wake limits will be more easily passed by those who want quiet. The trend around here appears to be to make the slow-no-wake zones larger, so be careful what you wish for.

You couldn't be more correct about the likelihood of No Wake Rules expansion with fewer users (at least in WI). I think next year I am going to go on the offensive with approaching tubers and asking them if they would like to learn to ski - that is a great idea.
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 5:12pm

The day all the tubers disappear we will have very few people enjoying watersports, and speed and wake limits will be more easily passed by those who want quiet. The trend around here appears to be to make the slow-no-wake zones larger, so be careful what you wish for.

I shudder at the thought...
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 5:37pm
I don't care about fisherman in the least on our lake. They are all guys who don't own property and show up for fishing tournaments and completely disable any use of the public boat ramp. I have disconnected and moved trailers before during events like this.

About the only fishermen I show any regard for are our two neighbors and my brother. Other than that they are intruders I could care less about taking up most of my morning ski line.

About the only other boat out as early as I ski is a nice red/white 01 SN that foots and slaloms and runs proper lines.

I have given up on any thing post 9 am and just putt around enjoying the scenery.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 5:45pm
Slow no wake only works on tiny lakes and it seems to promote weed growth, making much of the lake unusable. There are plenty would-be great ski lakes around, that probably used to be, but after enough collisions or close calls probably got shut down. Or they are just too shallow. Or neither but PWCs, fisherman and skiers will still make wakes without the tubes.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Slow no wake only works on tiny lakes and it seems to promote weed growth, making much of the lake unusable.

Kev - very interesting theory. I wonder if we could get some public funding to do a study. This might be the way to fund not just one but two ski lakes. Would build one that we would ski and use normally, the second one we would test different "No wake hours" then measure weed growth. MAN this is a great idea, I am going to start writing up a proposal and see if I can figure out how to get some grant money. Ski Lake here we go!!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 5:53pm
Now we've got something. Hansel, help us out!
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Slow no wake only works on tiny lakes and it seems to promote weed growth, making much of the lake unusable. There are plenty would-be great ski lakes around, that probably used to be, but after enough collisions or close calls probably got shut down. Or they are just too shallow. Or neither but PWCs, fisherman and skiers will still make wakes without the tubes.

I ski in a private lake pretty often. nothing but clean hard bottom where we start and drop in the shallow end!
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I don't care about fisherman in the least on our lake. They are all guys who don't own property and show up for fishing tournaments and completely disable any use of the public boat ramp. I have disconnected and moved trailers before during events like this.

About the only fishermen I show any regard for are our two neighbors and my brother. Other than that they are intruders I could care less about taking up most of my morning .

Run them over!!
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

They are all guys who don't own property and show up and completely disable any use of the public boat ramp.

This statement applies to 65-70% of the boaters on my home lake. As Hollywood stated earlier, It's a boating etiquette problem, not a skiing etiquette problem. Actually, it's more of a " The average person has turned into a self entitled,ignorant moron" problem.

It's amazing how many people I see towing someone who will not only wreck the water for everyone else, but themselves as well. And they either don't get it or don't seem to care. I have had mixed results trying to educate people. A few have been very receptive and one flat out told me to go "*************** myself".

I have had perfectly good lines and water ruined by Jetskiers, Water skiers, Wake boarders, Pontoon boats, tubers, Donzis, fishermen, The Game Warden, and even a rogue Kayak or Canoe paddling right into your path. I have not run into any early AM surfers yet.

I just get up early, get my runs in and when the meatballs get out there after 9-9:30 I get on the Jetski and jump some waves! There is zero good water after 9-9:30 on weekends anyway.I feel for you guys that have restrictions that keep you from getting out there before all of the fools. Everyone likes flat water, but no one really "deserves" that water more than the next guy. If you feel that way, you should be on a "private" lake.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2014 at 11:59pm
Having restrictions isn't really that bad because most people are inherently late . Our no wake ends at 11:00 A.M. By 11:30 I have already skied and got a wakeboard run in all while watching the boat ramp wanna bees trying to get their boat in the water . By noon , I'm done and they're just getting started . I'm usually the only boat on the lake . The one problem that I do have is that with my lake being pretty small - I curse as my own rebounding wake . YES ,you read that correct . I get irritated with my own boats wake . Can't win it seems . LOL .
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 12:10am
Originally posted by Faceplant Faceplant wrote:

Having restrictions isn't really that bad because most people are inherently late . Our no wake ends at 11:00 A.M. By 11:30 I have already skied and got a wakeboard run in all while watching the boat ramp wanna bees trying to get their boat in the water . By noon , I'm done and they're just getting started . I'm usually the only boat on the lake .

You are very lucky, our no wake ends at 10, there are always no less than 5 boats all lined up ready to go at 945, when I wanted to foot, I would go at 955, or when the first boat started, often as early as 947. By 1015 the 160 acre Lake is a wreck with at least 3 tube boat and even a couple boats just making hot laps, yee ha! I pray for rain when we are at the cottage...
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 12:22am
Steve, if you cant beat them, join them. Since the fishermen and kayaks get their own time slot maybe you should approach the rule makers and lobby for the 10:00 to 1100 hour for smooth water sports only, bare footing and skiing. Its really only FAIR if they are handed out special treatment.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 12:56am
Just back from river.. it was glass but the damn rowers were out LOL. You wouldn't think this would be a problem but they are all over the damn river with boats pointed every which way. Obviously these are novice clubs.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2014 at 10:24am
Nobody really surfs a ton in our neck of the woods but you are starting to see people doing it behind boats that really aren't fit for it (ski boats).

There is one family that surfs all day long in a (very good looking) Centurion Enzo.

They run the proper lines and look to be having a blast and don't make it out until much after 10am. So other than the big waves they really bother nobody.

It always makes me giggle when we pass fishermen at barefoot speeds and they get mad. They are too ignorant to realize the effects a wake of a ski boat at foot speed are probably less than if I passed them at a hot idle let alone anything between 10-25 mph.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic