NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Late teleflex tilt helm slop

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Late teleflex tilt helm slop
    Posted: August-27-2014 at 12:20am
There is a little bit of slop in my helm that is driving me nuts. I know it's not the cable or anything aft of the rack since I replaced the cable/rack recently and the problem was there before and after. The problem is only present if I'm trying to pull somebody through the course and need to counter steer. It's as if the steering has some sort of loping cam to it dead center. In feeling the pinion shaft while rotating the wheel there is definitely a bit of slop between the steering wheel moving and the pinion moving. Very minor and barely detectable but present in the course.

Anybody ever have this with a tilt teleflex assembly? Do they "wear out" and/or is there an adjustment that can be made to adjust gear lash on the unit?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2014 at 12:57am
There are parts inside the tilt mechanism that can be loose and I imagine their cheesy method of not using a proper u joint for the tilt function could be shimmed if you find that to be the problem. Seastar Solutions bought Teleflex. Here are the instructions,not exactly a easy place to get into to fix but it would be at the minimum worth checking to make sure all bolts are tight, the same thing has to be done to replace anyway.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2014 at 10:01am
Joel
I just went through the same thing it ended up being my pinion. What you can check is there are two wedges that clamp your pinion in the tilt. They are held tight by two Allen bolts the bottom one goes through the hole of the pinion then there is another above it make sure they are tightened equally.
If that's not it tis time to take a look at the pinion.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2014 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Joel
I just went through the same thing it ended up being my pinion. What you can check is there are two wedges that clamp your pinion in the tilt. They are held tight by two Allen bolts the bottom one goes through the hole of the pinion then there is another above it make sure they are tightened equally.
If that's not it tis time to take a look at the pinion.

How do I get to this? Take the wheel off and that gator/boot?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2014 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

How do I get to this? Take the wheel off and that gator/boot?

Yes, take the wheel off and the boot then there will be two Phillips head screws holding on the plastic cover. The cover also has two plastic clips on the in side that you have to depress to pull it off then you will see the allen head bolts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic