Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1992 Barefoot Nautique, what to look for ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Briman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Briman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1992 Barefoot Nautique, what to look for ?
    Posted: July-23-2014 at 8:39pm
Hello all I'm interested in possibly purchasing one and have a few questions. Did these still have wood stringers in 1992? Also did the v-drive with the 454 cause any grief for owners, or is it a reliable setup? Is there storage on both sides in the engine compartment? The boat has about 750 hours on it, but looks to be in great shape. The small lake will be back soon here in Iowa I boat on after the dam break, and I'm itching for a new boat. Thanks in advance, Brian
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 9:04pm
On the stringer question I don't think it's ever been confirmed that there was a change over from wood to glass since for 95 those models,the Excell and Barefoot were gone. Not sure if the 454 vdrives were the same model as the smallblocks one but haven't heard that there are problems with the smallblock one.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 9:08pm
Great boats but............. 454 is HEAVY for the Excel...ProBoss is ideal! Wood stringers are present and disbonding of the fiberglass is common at the forward and rearward engine cradle area(s).

The 454 power is great but nose-high planing is the compromise and handling is poor. At wakeboard speeds, the nose is pointing WAAAYYY up compared to a direct drive or later SAN.

Storage is awesome in Excels. Ski wake is poor, Barefoot wake is great, Wakeboard wakes are poorly defined but good entry level.

Love me some Excels! Neat boats but not awesome ski performers.....
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 9:17pm
The 454 and V-drive have been very reliable......... but the Pro-Tec ignition units have faltered with age. If it has been converted already, you're good-to-go...... but, there are a number of Pro-Tec still equipped engines running strong.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 9:36pm
what you should look for? find me one too
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 9:50pm
Peter,

I have been searching for Excels for years.... email or call me.

Steve
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 10:16pm
If you want a true search find an open bow.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

If you want a true search find an open bow.

Now you are talking craziness! You wouldn't sell yours.....or will you? HA!
Briman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Briman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2014 at 12:20pm
Thanks all for the replies. Very informative might I add. I may pass on this as I was interested in using it for a skiing and wakeboard boat, but with the very nose high attitude I probably will keep shopping around. I have until next year to look for one.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2014 at 12:25pm
That may be best
My experience trying to cross the wake on a 454 excel was horrible, I swear the wake was up to my kneecap and i had to step and climb back into the table.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2014 at 12:48pm
If you don't want a cheater plate like Steve has, a few bags of lead in the nose makes a huge difference in the bow rise and the ride. It's a vdrive, they sink the back before they go forward, but it doesn't ride so bow high you can't see where your going at speed, if it does your weight is wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic