NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl Prisoner SWap

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl Prisoner SWap
    Posted: June-03-2014 at 9:16pm
I was curious to know what the fellas on here thought of the prisoner swap and what the media has been reporting.

5 Al Qaeda for 1 defector doesn't seem like a good deal to me. Am I missing something?
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2014 at 9:35pm
From everything I have heard from my news sources, it sounds like he was a traitor from the start. The guy walked away from his base.

Plus, this is Obama in the process of shutting down Gitmo. He hates Gitmo, and this is how he will close it down. More to come I am sure. Why does't Obama get the US Marine sitting down in the prison in Tiajuana?

Loved when the guys dad spoke in Arabic and praised Allah right next to Obama in the Rose Garden, and then Obama hugged him. Wow! Did that really just happen?
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2014 at 1:23pm
I have 35 years with the Navy / Marine Corps this is very demoralizing but just another page in my president’s epitaph. My country’s best years are just about out of sight in the rear view mirror.   
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2014 at 1:43pm
What if they end up court marshalling him for desertion?
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2014 at 3:19pm
They will court marshal him if they can prove it, the media and veterans groups will mandate it. find it hard to beleive a guy stationed in eastern Afghanistan would just "walk away" form his base. You have to ask yourself where did he think he was going to go, walk a couple of undred miles to Bahgram and hitch a ride home on a commercial flight? People in the military have done dumber things, but never in a place where you don't look like the rest of the folks around you, nor do they particulary like you. Maybe he had a girlfriend in town? either way he's screwed now, but no matter what the outcome, beats being in a hovel in Pakistan, or Afghanistan by quite a bit.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2014 at 3:48pm
Glad they got him back. It was the right thing to do. Our government should take care of the son's and daughter's that go to war regardless of whether they are thought to be "heros" or not.
Toothstud View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toothstud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2014 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Loved when the guys dad spoke in Arabic and praised Allah right next to Obama in the Rose Garden, and then Obama hugged him. Wow! Did that really just happen?

What's wrong with this?
'88 SN 2001
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2014 at 4:24pm
the right thing? do you for one minute think those 5 former detainees dont hate us more now than before ? if thats even possible.. we have set a precedent that says ,if you grab one of our soldiers or citizens we can get 5 in return. no parent wants to lose a child be it at war or in an accident but he was a grown man and made decisions for himself from signing up for a job where he could die to putting himself in a vulnerable position to be captured. as its been said here already . obama wants gitmo cleaned out . whether thats right or wrong it was handled very wrong.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2014 at 6:27pm
Simply put, they are not worth as much as our guys. We try not to leave any behind and as a vet I wouldn't have it any other way
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2014 at 7:59pm
if their value is less than our guys then why do we waste the energy to fight them in battle. and risk our soldiers lives.   oh and thanks for serving our country .
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2014 at 9:03pm
Just the latest blunder in the most corrupt and poorly run administration in this country's history. I would give back all the detainees if they would take Obama with them.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2014 at 9:25pm
I read today that Susan Rice stands by her statement that he served with honor and distinction. I personally don't think he served with either. It will be interesting to see if he faces any consequences for his actions.
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2014 at 12:47am
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

It will be interesting to see if he faces any consequences for his actions.

To bad johnny cockran isn't around to defend him.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2014 at 1:56am
"Just the latest blunder in the most corrupt and poorly run administration in this country's history. I would give back all the detainees if they would take Obama with them."

...does this statement take into consideration the george bush administration? i laugh my azz off. he started the mess that led to the quandary this troop found himself in to begin with. and you call obama the worst in history? that loses all credibility whatsoever.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2014 at 4:17am
Originally posted by Toothstud Toothstud wrote:

Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

What's wrong with this?

You are kidding, right? Of course, that staged photo op was all done when Obama thought he would be met with adoring praise instead of the backlash and sh*%storm that has erupted over this horrible situation. Don't get me wrong, I am glad a son is coming home to his parents, and that we got a "soldier" (cough, cough) out. But, how many soldiers died out looking for him that won't be going home to their parents?
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2014 at 11:43am
I agree that the politics involved have been inept and I am not a big Obama fan but I try to think things out for myself rather than letting the media do it for me. I also have a lot of confidence in the U.S. Military and the intelligence community. After 10 plus years in GITMO we must have learned everything possible from these guys and determined exactly what level of threat they pose to us. So what if we determined that they are not an immediate threat and releasing them may result in gathering some intelligence (they would eventually be released anyway when the war is officially over). It is also possible one or more of them have flipped, wouldn't be the first time. We also can't kill them while they are detained. Now we can watch them, possibly gain some knowledge and shove a Tomahawk or drone fired missile up thier a_s if they give us a reason. If they meet with the right people we may get a few others at the same time. If this wasn't the plan before they where released I guarantee it is now.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2014 at 6:51pm
maybe instead of a tomahawk missile up their adz they should have place a g.p.s cracking device
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2014 at 10:58am
Never thought of the angle of putting a drone up their arses! I like it! I bet Obama will do that just as soon as he punishes the guys that killed four Americans in Benghazi...liked he promised he would. Time Magazine and CNN found them hiding at local cafe's to do interviews, but, the gov't can't seem to locate them.

But, in the meantime, we have the rotten scoundrel that did the hateful, anti-Islamic video that was the cause of the "demonstration" in Benghazi. He has been sitting in a US jail for a couple of years now.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2014 at 4:49pm

President's have a thing about presidential pardons in there last days of office. Anyone want to bet on Gitmo pardons?

Tomahawk's are great, to bad we don't make them anymore. Maybe hillery can just give the bad guys a hug.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2014 at 12:42am
I have reserved comment on this not wishing to speak out of place,as I have never served in the military and it is very hard to separate the administrations actions from the soldiers actions.

I have not seen a history of rose garden ceremonies for those that administrations plan to bring action against. I see this as a grossly miscalculated attempt to positively spin releasing the five worst guys at GTMO to make it easier to shut the place down. I do suspect the five have drone attacks in their future which strikes me as two faced when Obama was demanding civil trials to imprison them when they were on US soil, but will kill them without a trial now that they are released. The lack of a moral compass on this tells me its about political goals, not the people involved.

From a scandal management position I have to say Obama has taken using distractions to a new height. Having the aid of a complacent media he can actually create new scandals at will to disrupt the focus on the previous scandals. A republicans actions would be treated by the media as cumulative and would never be able to pull off such a feat.

For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic