NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet Drive clutch question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velvet Drive clutch question
    Posted: March-31-2006 at 4:12pm
Some parts for my 71C came in today and I'm concerned the friction plates are bronze insead of fiber...what should I do? Is it ok to use them or get fiber ones? Anyone know why there are two types? Are bronze better?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2006 at 4:50pm
They are supposed to be bronze. The old ones I took out were bronze and the new ones that went in are bronze. I did a rebuild in October. Put it together and enjoy.
Bob Ed
83 2001
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2006 at 4:50pm
the kit I used they were bronze fwd and rev , this kit had everthing.                    http://www.amarket.com/imabw071.htm
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2006 at 11:28am
Outstanding, thank you for the replies!

It was slipping in forward, but I noticed all the fiber on the rev disk that contacts the case was worn almost to the plate, the other rev surfaces were fine.
It appears to me there are machining grooves on the case's rev surface that would cause less wear if were polished smooth. Since the rev plates are always spinning relative to the case unless in reverse, maybe I'll get less bronze in the oil if I smooth the grooves. Perhaps my case missed a step?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic