NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop Shaft Repair - Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop Shaft Repair - Thanks
    Posted: January-28-2014 at 9:11pm
I owe this forum and its kind members a Thank You. The information available to repair a Ski Nautique is amazing on this forum.
A little history, I owned a 78 Nautique, put 1,500 hours on it and sold it in 1990. Went Awol and bought a Malibu Skier, sold it this year because I found a really nice 95 Nautique garage queen. It sat in a garage for nearly 20 years and had a total of 100.1 hours on the meter.
I bought it and recently got it on the water. Discovered it had a vibration, no surprise since it had a repaired 4 blade prop on the boat. Measured the shaft and found it had over .012 wobble at the prop.
Checked the Coupling and it was out also out of adjustment. Pulled the shaft, strut and coupling. Coupling loose on shaft, Strut Cutlass bearing worn out, prop shaft loose in the fit, 4 blade prop came off with no tools needed. I read the forum posts and found everything I questioned pulling this apart. TRBenj has offered many tips and I now have all parts on order for the repair.
I never found an easy way to pull the rudder with the gas tank in place so I pulled the strut.
It is sad to me that someone could ruin a drive train in only 100 hours but this previous owner did. The boat looks like it is still in the factory showroom and I am happy about that and I can repair the rest.
Again just wanted to say Thanks for all the guidance this forum has offered.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2014 at 9:15pm
Pics of the boat?
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2014 at 9:21pm
New to this forum, I added one to my profile but have not yet figured out how to add a profile picture.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/uploads/14769/Nautique_Drivers_Rear.jpg
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2014 at 10:23pm
It really only takes about 1 second to ruin a driveline.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2014 at 10:52pm
Posted your pic for you.

Clean boat.

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2014 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

New to this forum, I added one to my profile but have not yet figured out how to add a profile picture.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/uploads/14769/Nautique_Drivers_Rear.jpg

Profile pics can be added through the member control panel after you submit a diary entry and it is approved from the mods.

Pics can be loaded manually (once resized to be no more than 500KB) by clicking the tree pic with the upward facing blue arrow in the menu header in the reply window. Hope this helps.

Post more pics if you can.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2014 at 12:10am
Wow, looks brand new.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2014 at 12:33am
what a beauty!   glad to hear you got the shaft and prop issues all straightened out.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2014 at 1:17am
That is a nice one for sure,welcome to Team Red
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2014 at 4:26pm
Thanks to all, work will not give me time for a week or so to assemble all the new parts but looking forward to a vibration free boat ride.
I appreciate the kind words, the repair really does not bother me, unexpected in such a young boat but at least I now know it is in great condition mechanically and looks good. Next up will be tesing the 3 props I have to see what works best. The Tach may need replacement, I noticed it wandering a little when I last ran it. I am hoping it settles down and works again, I guess sitting 18 years is not good for it.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2014 at 4:41pm
In your Diary entry, Westlotorn should be changed to MrMcD.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2014 at 2:57pm
I have had start up issues with this forum. At first when I joined it would not let me log in, password issues. Then weeks later I opened a new membership name and the password works now letting me post. Something is still wrong, it does not let me update my profile.
I have exchanged notes with the forum monitors and hope to get it fixed.
If possible I will delete the first membership. Parts have come in for the prop shaft repair, now I just need time to do it.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2014 at 3:52pm
That's all Keith (in his spare time). You're here and posting, that's good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic