NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blue Rub Rail!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2014 at 8:45pm
It is definitely lighter than the gel color. The too-stiff Poly tubing was closer, but still not an exact match. It looks quite good in person. Unless you were looking for it I doubt that somebody will say, "Hey, that is a different color." It would have made me feel better if it were a shade or two darker to match the gel, but for $50 I'm extremely pleased. If we can source a run of actual blue Rub Rail from Taco Marine, I'll definitely sign up, but until that happens I'm quite pleased with the results.

When I get the boat outside and in more natural light I'll take some more photos. Note that this event in the great Northwest is likely months away.

Kevin

Kevin
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2014 at 1:42pm
Hey Kevin, how will does it match up with the Blue Gel?? Tough to tell from photo's.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2014 at 3:38pm
You can also see some great images there of the massive amount of gelcoat work I still have to do on this boat...
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2014 at 3:36pm
Fair enough. Took some pictures with my camera phone, and it is in my garage so the lighting isn't the best:

In this last image you can see the extra length of hose that is slung up and over the back of the boat:

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2014 at 12:00pm
pics or it didn't happen
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2014 at 2:02am
Yes. Sorry about the early confusion. I got the choose-a-color PVC, 5/8" OD. 50 feet of tube left a few extra feet at the end of my 1993 Ski Nautique. I will get some photos posted eventually.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 10:32pm
So to get this straight in my head Kevin you bought the Choose a Color
pvc?
I think it was Chris who asked about the original,here is a pic of mine-

Here is how bad it's faded-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2014 at 5:03pm
Got my blue tubing from McMaster-Carr and I installed it that night. I don't have any photos yet, but I think it looks great! The cost was $51.26, including shipping. Hopefully this summer I'll be able to report back on the durability of the tubing as a rub rail.

I will say this - I definitely made the right choice in going with the more flexible (but still relatively rigid) tubing. It took a good amount of effort to install it. It was easy, but it just took a bit more time than I imagined. It fits into the rub rail very securely but it took some doing to get it into the areas around the corners where the rub rail tends to pinch a bit.

Onward!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 7:55pm
Thanks guy's that has gotten me on the right track.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 3:17pm
M1C appears to be called 1300 now
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 1:08pm
Tim got the dimensions right. What kind of photo do you need?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2014 at 8:44am
I was confused on the inside out comment as well!

Gary, are you talking about the standard Cipa Comp? CC (and many other manufacturers) used their M1C (7x14) for many years... at least '87-09. The mounts changed several times during that period though- I am not sure if the mount you need is CC specific or not. SkiDIM does not list any of the mounts (windshield or otherwise) that CC used, so I suspect that may be the case.

Cipa Comp for $35 from SkiDIM
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 10:49pm
Scary thing is I knew exactly what he ment,must be a Midwest thing . Not to hijack Kevin,but do you have the original rear view mirror off of either boat? If so could you measure it for me and post a picture of it? Thanks
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Oh! Ha ha ha... my bad. I was imagining you were thinking I could turn the entire tube inside-out, as in make the inside of the tube the outside. I don't know why I thought that. Yes, I could always flip the tube around if / when it fades.

I thought the same thing. I was like, "How the hell is he gonna turn that thing inside out?"
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 6:54pm
Oh! Ha ha ha... my bad. I was imagining you were thinking I could turn the entire tube inside-out, as in make the inside of the tube the outside. I don't know why I thought that. Yes, I could always flip the tube around if / when it fades.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 2:56pm
You might want to wait until July to install it though!

I don't know how soft you've interpreted my comment but don't see how it matters either way. I'm envisioning fully removing it, invert the bend and then reinstall. With the cut insert this isn't an option.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2014 at 1:54pm
Hollywood - it is nowhere near THAT soft. I'd guess that is is only slightly more flexible than the OEM insert. The main question now is fading under UV.

Update - although McMaster-Carr said they had 50' of blue tube in stock when I got my email confirmation it said that the product would ship in two weeks. Sure am glad it is not July.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Also wondering if anyone has a cross section or cut of the factory insert as a camparison??

I have my original up in the barn,if I psych myself up I might go get it to check,it is after all up to -11 now
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 4:48pm
If you go with the softer one you might be able to turn it inside out if it fades too much.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 4:17pm
The Poly (dark-blue) tube would not make that turn at the bow without kinking, which is why I noted that I'd have to make some splices in the tube. The PVC tube will make it around that corner.

I've ordered the PVC tube from McMaster-Carr. It should ship out today (from their Chicago warehouse, where it must be -20 degrees F or so). I'll post an update once I install it.

I have a purple insert in my garage and will take some cross-section comparison shots for you later.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 3:56pm
Kevin, did you try installing either type at the bow? Curious if they will make that turn. Keep us posted if you decide to try one or the other on the entire boat, this is definitely something I want to change on mine.

Also wondering if anyone has a cross section or cut of the factory insert as a camparison??
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 12:24pm
Bling ! I wonder if this would be legal?
LED Strip Lighting..

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 11:26am
I like the lighter blue    I also like those Registration #'s and Trailer Decals    I wonder where those came from

I looked and looked on E-Bay for the Purple Insert-- I found it I think at a place up North... Let me look to see if I can find it again- as I think they had all colors also-- maybe not as good as price as McMaster/Carr though...

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 2:13am
Don't know where your at HW but it's pretty nice here,you can see I'm getting the boat ready to go My thoughts on the 50 bucks too,can't fade any worse than the original looked anyway
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 1:34am
Wow Gary, you shovel good!

Tim's point about fading is very valid. Sure wouldn't want to invest too much in something that won't keep. $50 seems worth a try.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2014 at 12:01am
Kevin here is a better close up of the black insert

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 7:29pm
ALERT!

I misidentified the two tubes. The darker color blue tubing with the lettering is the Polyethylene Tubing for Drinking Water, 1/2" ID, 5/8" OD, 1/16" Wall Thickness, Blue. It is product number 51275K88 in the McMaster-Carr catalog.

The slightly lighter color tubing is the Choose-a-color PVC Tubing Blue, 7/16" Id, 5/8" Od, 3/32" Wall Thickness. It is product number 9446K61 in the McMaster-Carr catalog.

The good news of my mistake is that the PVC (more flexible but thicker-wall) tubing is only $0.87 a foot. So 50 feet of blue, black, yellow, green or red tubing is only $43.50.

Tim - I have no idea how UV stable either tube might be. I did some checking at McMaster-Carr and did not see much about UV stability (there was quite a bit about chemical resistance).
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 6:27pm
I think this spring I'll take a ride over there,it's real close to Johnb's house,with what I have and see what matches up.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 3:40pm
Bravo for getting creative (and keeping the original look)! Both blues look great- the lighter one is close enough if it's easier to work with. Any idea which material would stand up better to uv exposure?

The rope looks fine in a vintage boat (it was used 78-89) but it would look out I place on a NWZ boat. It also is harder to keep clean. I'd go with the black insert if the blue didn't work out, at least tht wouldn't call any attention to itself.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2014 at 3:19pm
I know it's not original but I sense the rope idea is gaining a little momentum!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic