Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1972 Skier Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
lakemitchellscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakemitchellscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1972 Skier Restoration
    Posted: December-27-2013 at 5:43pm
Is anyone here familiar with the color Baron Blue that was used on the 1972 model lineup? I am restoring a !972 Skier.
ScottZ
Lake Mitchell, AL
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2013 at 6:04pm
Baron Blue was the name given to the interior color... the only exterior blue option listed in the '72 brochure is Concord Blue. I am guessing that it probably refers to the darker (royal-ish) blue, as I cant remember seeing a light colored (Carolina/Baby blue) Skier or Mustang past '71.

I assume yours is this color?

The switch labels are present and the rear lifting ring style matches that used in '72, so I see no reason to dispute the year. Looks like you have the optional square framed windshield. Got more overall pics of the boat? Pylon style and bow light are also year clues.

Will you be doing an original restoration? Reid did a beautiful job on his '71- the interior and floor came out awesome. Missing any pieces (bucket seat, steering wheel, etc)?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2013 at 6:23pm
square windshield ftw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakemitchellscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2013 at 6:29pm
Baron Blue is the original upholstery color. I left that off the original post. The hull and top is solid white and it had a single black stripe on the side with Skier lettered in the stripe. I am some what of an original restoration on this boat. The exceptions to being original are the following: lifting rings, carpet on sides and floor, single bottom cushion for stern seat, new efi motor and trans. I am missing the steering wheel. I might have one located that will need some work. The bow light is a replacement that was used on the later 70's models up to 85. The pylon in this boat is chromed. I am not sure if that is original of not. All I have ever seen is painted or aluminum poles. I verified the sn with Correct Craft the year of this boat. They told me it is a 1972 model. The options on this boat is windshield, auto bilge pump, and fuel gauge. You will see that in later years this boat was converted to look like a Ski Tique. I am taking is back to its roots.
ScottZ
Lake Mitchell, AL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakemitchellscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2013 at 6:37pm
ScottZ
Lake Mitchell, AL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakemitchellscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2013 at 6:38pm
The motor box and air scoops will go back to white too.
ScottZ
Lake Mitchell, AL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakemitchellscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2013 at 6:48pm
ScottZ
Lake Mitchell, AL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakemitchellscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2013 at 6:51pm
ScottZ
Lake Mitchell, AL
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2013 at 7:06pm
Ah, so you're looking for direction on interior vinyl? Dolphin Naugahyde is the closest I've found to the original stuff, as it has some marbling to it. Dol-71 is a nice medium blue that would be a good match, I think- we plan to use it on our 79 bfn. I used tier burgundy on a 80 SN and Reid used the light blue on the aforementioned light blue Skier. What's your plan for the floor? Nautolex Shark is a dead ringer for the original floor vinyl. The t-trim can be found as well if yours is missing.

I don't think lettering was added to the stripe until 74. That pylon looks like the one used through 72, I've seen a number of 72's polished just like yours. The bow light style changed for 73, so maybe yours was built late in the year? What's your serial number? I could possibly help with the steering wheel- pm me if interested.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2013 at 7:08pm
Someone went heavy on the resin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakemitchellscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2013 at 7:49pm
The bow light is not original. Where would you source the vinyl you spoke of? What are you call t-trim? Do you have a pic of the vinyl floor? Is it something that is sprayed or come in sheets? SN is SK3344. It was built in May, 30, 1972.
Thanks
ScottZ
Lake Mitchell, AL
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2013 at 8:23pm
Nice project! The vinyl is availabale through this site as well as many others. Google "Nautolex Shark" and you'll fine a few different places around the country to help with shipping. It comes in a roll and is applied with adhesive sold through the same place.   

The T-molding is available here I think we decided the original would have been ALU-1029.

FInished product would look something like this...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakemitchellscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2013 at 8:35pm
I got you on the t molding now. I have never seen a cc with the vinyl floor. Thanks for the info. I looked at your thread on the restoration of the promo boat…….nice. Did you respray the sides as well before installing the ski pockets and vinyl flooring?
ScottZ
Lake Mitchell, AL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakemitchellscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2013 at 8:48pm
Where did they go heavy on the resin Hollywood? Educate me. Thanks
ScottZ
Lake Mitchell, AL
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2013 at 10:03am
How do you know that the bow light is not original? That style was used starting in '73, and a '72 built at the end of May would have been about the last boat made that model year... so it wouldnt surprise me if it had some early '73 hardware on it.

The picture above is of JMurph's '72 Promo SN, which still has the original splattered gel inside the ski pockets. Reid ended up respraying the gel on the hull sides of his '71 Skier. I'd encourage you to scrape off the carpet glue and see if you can salvage the original gel, and to go with the vinyl floor with t-trim. I plan to bring my '71 back to this original configuration before long (a previous owner carpeted it, unfortunately). The ply floor installed over the glass floor was just wrapped in vinyl and then screwed down.

Im guessing you know that the front scoop has been replaced with a slightly newer ('76 or 77+) version? I think HW was joking about the exhaust pocket being full of water.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakemitchellscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2013 at 12:09pm
The drain hole is stopped up. You should have seen what was in all of what was in the bilge before I started cleaning it out! Thanks for the info on the flooring. I did not catch that on the front scoop. The one on it will need to be patched. Do you know where an original one might be?
ScottZ
Lake Mitchell, AL
captbob626 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captbob626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2013 at 1:09pm
Does anyone know how the spatter was put on?   Was it paint or in the gel?
Bob Meimbresse
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2013 at 1:19pm
Gel. White and gray... just shot very sloppy (hence the splatter pattern and texture). First white as the base, then gray over it (I believe) to get the speckled pattern. Lousy pic of Reid's Skier here:

ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 7:24pm
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2015 at 7:26pm
The project is finished except for the front and rear air scoops. More pictures to follow.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 11:02pm

The hull was completely wet sanded and polished out. The gel coat chips were also repaired. The aluminum engine frame is out of a 2001. The front of it was modified to support the ski tow bar which is much stronger. The wooden support was rotten so it was cut out for that reason.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 11:15pm

The stringers had to be stepped down in the transmissions area in order to get the power train to line up with the shaft. I removed a 302 and replaced it with a brand new 305 efi Pleasure Craft engine and velvet drive transmission. This motor is a little taller than the 302 because of the efi components. The floor is 3/4" marine grade plywood. Lattus strips were installed below the plywood to keep the floor level with the lip of the aluminum motor frame. This also gave the motor box enough clearance to sit flush on the floor without rubbing to top of the motor. The original metal gas tank was replaced with an aluminum tank out of a later model Ski Tique. Pleaseure Craft provided a wiring harness adapter which made it real easy to connect to the wiring harness in the boat.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 11:27pm

In order to put the original black stripe back on the boat I borrowed a 1973 Mustang from a friend and used it as my pattern. One think I added per the boat owner's request is the Skier decal in the stripe. This was not original on the model boat until 1974. Laying out the stripe was not the easiest thing since it is wider in the stern area and gets narrower and curves up towards the bow. A friend of mine who is a teacher in the auto body shop at eh local career tech center helped me with this.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 11:36pm

Dolphin blue vinyl was used on the seats and Nautilex shark skin was used on the floor. The sides were sprayed with white gel coat and a gray webbing of gel coat was sprayed on top of the white. the original sides did not clean up well enough after the carpet was removed. T molding was installed in the seams of the floor. The Morse controller was flipped around and the shifter and throttle cable were routed through the hole in the floor and through the bilge to conceal them.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 11:46pm
Nice work! That shark vinyl flooring looks great. I'm planning on using that on my 67SN project as well.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2015 at 11:47pm

Everything in this was was taken apart and reworked if it was not replaced. A later model Ski Tique trailer was completely restored and paired with the boat.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2015 at 1:16am
I used the shark nautolex also in my 75 sep rebuild, its great looking.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2015 at 10:39am
What a looker Scott.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2015 at 10:43am
Looks great. Really nice job. Is that where those windshield parts went?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2015 at 10:53am
Looks nice Scott. It would have been a neat touch to paint up the new PCM in vintage Waukesha colors (dark blue and neon green)... Maybe in 20 years when it needs a refresh. ;) Hopefully the new PCM is a righty? How's it run out with 275-300hp on tap? How did you raise the motorbox?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic