NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please help with fin

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help with fin
    Posted: March-29-2006 at 7:16am
Originally posted by jos1 jos1 wrote:

...the bronze is very soft,when you can regrind it.

Always the paranoid one... I believe the fins are Nibral (Nickle, Bronze, Aluminum alloy) like many of the props. If this is the case, then the dust caused by grinding is toxic...use a respirator.

If they are Bronze, then I do not believe there is a health risk in grinding.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2006 at 6:50am
Hey Dans,
I took a bent fin of mine to a "Prop Doc" here in the Kansas City area, he straightened it for $20.00, plus polished it all up.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
jos1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jos1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2006 at 11:11pm
Fin straightning.
You can send it to a prop shop.
You can try it yourself, be carefull.
Do not heat it, severe cracks below the forging temp, saw some ruined ones due to low temp.
Did mine cold worked, large nylon hamer or hammer with aluminum heads, use hardwood underlay or solid aluminium of nylon underlay.
Do not use steel tools this will mark the fin, the bronze is very soft,when you can regrind it. Press can be used but a fin is diffecult to handle because of the radis through taper
of the fine.
Did mine which where quit soft.
Succes.
jos
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2006 at 7:49am
The fin should be fastened from the bottom with phillips head sheet metal screws. Remove the screws and pull (stuck with sealant) the fin off. Take or ship the fin to a prop shop and they can either straighten it or tell you that it cracked during the attempt.

Or simply purchase a new one from about $75 from your local dealer. Fin part number 36718 fits boats 70-97.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2006 at 5:59am
Dan, I straightened mine out (after I dropped the boat on the ramp) by using a "hydro-press" (bearing press should work). I just laid the fin down on its side, lined up the press in the middle of the fin then let her rip. I had to do this several times to be sure I got her as straight as I could. It lines up with the other 2 fins with 1/4" or so. I can live with that.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2006 at 8:01pm
My middle fin on my 1982 sn 2001 is bent about 4 inches out of line. Does anyone have any tips on how to fix it. Thanks , Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic