NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Re-Gel estimate question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Re-Gel estimate question
    Posted: September-29-2013 at 7:21pm
Our '92SN had a bunch of cracks in the gelcoat when we purchased it. Now that we replaced the interior, we decided to look into getting the gelcoat cracks fixed.

We got our first estimate and he said it would be $800 - $1000 to re-gel from the rub-rail up. I have no idea what a good estimate would be for this type of work. Is this a decent price for a re-gel?

Here are some pics of the cracks:
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2013 at 8:37pm
i would say it sounds too good to be true price to me when you think about how much it costs just to have two truck cab corners repaired on your average g/m ford truck. not apples to apples but it is quite a bit of work to be done on that
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2013 at 9:59pm
He works for a local boat building company. He would do the work on the side. He said it would be cheaper and easier to re-gel the white as opposed to fixing each individual crack. He mentioned another option. He said he could paint it with a yacht paint similar to all grip. I said I prefer to keep it gelcoat. I should have a finalized quote in a few days. He said he would buff out the whole boat for $200 as well.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2013 at 10:52pm
I would make sure he is going to dig out each crack & fill with epoxy. If you just sand it down & regel over the cracks, they will come back someday.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2013 at 9:39am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I would make sure he is going to dig out each crack & fill with epoxy. If you just sand it down & regel over the cracks, they will come back someday.

He said he was going to have to open up each crack and then fill with epoxy and then regel. He wants to regel because the cracks are everywhere from bow to stern and it would be easier to match the color if he just re-did the whole upper deck. I agree if it will look better.

He says it will look like a brand new boat after he is done. I'm just not sure about the price.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2013 at 10:01am
If he is willing to work for around 20$ an hour the price is possible, you certainly wont find cheaper - so what are your questions on the price? For that amount of money I wouldnt expect a factory quality finish in terms of smoothness, but if that is what you are after then you can always wetsand and buff yourself.

those cracks likely all start at the screw holes holding in the rubrail. On later boats the factory ground a groove all the way around the gelcoat above those screw holes but still behind the rub rail to keep that from happening - if you get it fixed I suggest you do the same.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2013 at 11:38am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

If he is willing to work for around 20$ an hour the price is possible, you certainly wont find cheaper - so what are your questions on the price? For that amount of money I wouldnt expect a factory quality finish in terms of smoothness, but if that is what you are after then you can always wetsand and buff yourself.

those cracks likely all start at the screw holes holding in the rubrail. On later boats the factory ground a groove all the way around the gelcoat above those screw holes but still behind the rub rail to keep that from happening - if you get it fixed I suggest you do the same.

He said he figured 30 hours of work (don't kill the messenger, just relaying what I was told). He said it would be smooth as a baby's a$$ when he was done, but I guess that will remain to be seen.

As for the price question, I was simply wanting to know if this was a good price as I have no experience with re-gelling a boat or repairing cracks. I found the price reasonable, but wanted to see what people on here with experience with these types of repairs would have to say.

So far I think he is pretty cheap for the work he is willing to perform.

Thanks for the input on the screw problem. I'll be sure to mention it to him if I wind up going with him to do the repair.
Airfooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2013 at 11:57am

+1^

I have a few cracks on my bow coming from the rub rail fasteners. Two years ago at the Minneapolis Boat Show I was verbally quoted $800-$900 to fix them (just the bow cracks) because the rub rail was going to have to be removed and a groove cut through the gel, right above the fasteners, all the way around the boat. I also have a few cracks coming from the windshield and bow teak strip fasteners. I was told that I have them because the factory never ran a countersink through the gel coat layer prior to running the screws in. At the time of learning this, I happened to have everything removed from the deck of my boat so I took a countersink bit in reverse and countersunk each hole before putting the boat back together. So far no additional cracks have developed...
1992 Nautique Excel
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2013 at 12:22pm
good to know about countersinking the holes. I will do that if I go through with the repair.
flipflop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2013 at 12:25pm
^^Sounds like this has the makings of a good Winter project...
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2013 at 12:29pm
Dont waste your time countersinking the holes on the rubrail, you wouldn't know where to redrill them on the install anyway. The groove routed out above them does the same job.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Airfooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2013 at 12:36pm
Sorry, I should have clarified - Countersinking was only in reference to the fastener holes for the windshield, teak strips (if you have them), deck cleats, etc....Not the rub rail fastener holes - Groove only for them.
1992 Nautique Excel
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2013 at 12:56pm

Dont waste your time countersinking the holes on the rubrail, you wouldn't know where to redrill them on the install anyway. The groove routed out above them does the same job.

Thanks. Just spoke to a second local gelcoat repair guy who used to work at CC. He confirmed the rubrail screws as the likely culprit. He said he would score the gel above the screws to prevent them from coming back in the future. He is coming by this afternoon to give me an estimate for repair.

I love this site. So informative. I've learned so much in the past three months since we purchased our first CC.

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2013 at 7:38pm
His finalized estimate is $1200 to repair all cracks and regel the entire deck. He would also buff out the rest of the hull as well. He said he would fix the cracks with Adtech resin or fiberglass depending on what he finds when prepping.

I have another guy coming by to give me an estimate. I'm curious to see what he says.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2013 at 7:59pm
i cant imagine you would go wrong for that price if he is someone who does for a living and on the side
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2013 at 9:31am
second estimate came back at $2300 and I would have to remove the rubrail, windshield, bow hook, interior and nav lights. He has a small shop and would need to do the work starting in November.

First guy has access to a professional shop and paint booth and is half the price. I'm leaning more towards the first guy. They both appear to have the same fix. Open the cracks and fill with epoxy resin and the re-gel upper deck. First guy would start in January and would need about 3 weeks as he will doing it in his off time.

What would you guys do?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2013 at 11:18am
Seems to be a no-brainer.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic