NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel tank dip tube broken

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel tank dip tube broken
    Posted: September-08-2013 at 3:30am
So I fixed the high pressure fuel pump on my 94 this week and was getting really excited that I could run the engine and check some things this weekend.   I installed the pump, turned on the ign, and everything sounded normal.   I put a gauge on the Schraeder port to check my fuel pressure and got about 15 psi... Shoot.... Turns out that the pump can't develope pressure without any fuel .... I traced the problem to the anti siphon valve ( stuffed full of earwax) but the 90 degree angle was also plugged full.   I pulled the tank, and the pick-up assy, then unscrewed the aluminum fitting at the top of the pickup tube.    

How do I get the pickup tube out?    It appears that the fitting was connected to the dip tube some how,   Now the aluminum fitting appears broken, and there is a spring sticking out of the top of the dip tube ( inside the threaded bung for the aluminum fitting) Is there a repair for this? Did I screw something up?   
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2013 at 2:59am
I think the pickup tube should have come out with the fitting. Something is messed up there. I don't have an EFI system, but I can't imagine that the tube that sucks up the gas is very different. It's just a tube that sticks down into the tank. Somebody with more knowledge of EFI systems tell me if I'm wrong?

KRoundy
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2013 at 12:45pm
Just poking around this page:
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/fuellineandfuelhoses.aspx

It looks like that elbow threads into the tank, and the fuel pickup tube just presses on to it?

It's a little tough because I can't find a full diagram.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2013 at 1:56pm
Brian,
   you are correct.   After I got a replacement fitting (Thanks Kevin!) I was able to see that yes indeed, the fitting threads it the top of the tank bung, and the dip tube is supposed to be connected to the bottom.   I was able to use a punch and tap the pickup tube out of the bottom of the threaded bung.   

My Fuel dip tube is longer than the 93 dip tube that Kevin had, due to the reservoir at the bottom of my tank (about the size of a mason jar)

Things I learned in this process:

- the pickup hose has a helical winding inside of it to keep it from collapsing
- yes, the fitting just twists out... the tube should remain connected.
- if the tube does not stay connected, it is just stuck into the bung, and not threaded.   
- fuel injected boats have a longer dip tube than the carbureted boats
- the fitting barb is the same for both types of fuel systems
- my dip tube is assembled: fitting with barb, hose slides over the barb, then there is an aluminum collar that slides up over the barb to "lock" the hose onto the fitting.    
the aluminum collar is what was stuck in the tank top bung

Kris
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2013 at 7:04pm
Some pictures would be good to go along with your write up. Really helps people that haven't done the job yet understand. Thanks for the great info.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2013 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Some pictures would be good to go along with your write up. Really helps people that haven't done the job yet understand. Thanks for the great info.

I'll update the thread when I can take some pictures. hopefully I'll be able to get out in the garage for a bit this evening.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2013 at 3:06am
I finally had a chance to download the pictures I took a week ago.... here they are with some explanation.

The 90° fitting that goes in the top of the tank, it's missing the nipple portion of the bottom. This was completely clogged with dried fuel, see BRI892001's post above for what it should look like.

The anti-siphon fitting, also clogged with fuel when I found it.   brake cleaner and compressed air worked well to clean it out

side view

end view : note that the ball is what stops the flow of fuel if needed. It is spring loaded in one direction, but the spring is not very strong, the ball should not be hung up at all when this is working properly.   I used a small screw driver to push the ball down, and let it spring up to ensure it was functioning.

Here is the dip tube assembly (with the new 90° fitting installed)if you look closely, you can see the helix inside the tube.   

here are all the parts laid out.   the brass fitting in the top of the aluminum assembly is for the return.   This is going to be for fuel injected boats only. Mine is, TBI, so assume that the dip tube and assembly will look a little different for carbureted boats.

Insert the dip tube into the top off the aluminum assembly, Teflon tape the threads, and then tighten until the fitting is snug, and the outlet is pointed in the right direction.   I had to fillet the corners of the aluminum fitting to allow it to thread into the bung without hitting the brass return fitting. here is the dip tube assembly going into o the boss.   note: I had to remove the strainer screen at the bottom of the pickup tube to fit it through the hole. the screen is a press fit, a little wd-40 and then a gentle grip and it should twist off.   

the finished assembly.   the dip tube is longer on the injected boats, so yours may not stick out the bottom of the aluminum like this.   

reinstall the anti-siphon valve with some Teflon tape, then reinstall the whole assembly into the tank.

this is long winded, but hopefully it will help someone
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2013 at 2:15pm
Nice write up!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2013 at 9:37pm
Nice! Time for another link to the FAQ...
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic