Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Loss of power

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brandenairnautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandenairnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loss of power
    Posted: July-29-2013 at 7:13pm
I purchased a 1997 Air Nautique EFI a few months ago and it was running a little slow and using a little to much gas. It was even slower today it was taking way to long to pull up wake boarders probably a few hundred yards before it hit 20mph floored. It had been slow before like having to floor it to get someone up but this was worse. We did a compression check and they were all over a 100 most 120-125 one close to 105. Now its dying worse and wont plane out or get above 15mph. The boat idles fine and shifts from neutral to reverse fine. We are wondering if this could be transmission not grabbing? Fuel Injectors clogged or letting to much gas in. Timing? Computer? I ordered a new fuel filter so ill know that In a couple days.
I also took boat back out and was able to get it at about 50% power few hundred yards to plane out and top speed of 35mph. The RPM's are a little low and the engine doesn't sound like it is working to hard when you floor it just bogged down.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 10:25pm
What were max rpm? When pulling up the boarders did rpm build but boat didn't go, or motor just won't spin up? Motor seem smooth or run rough?

A good place to start is check timing, and pull all spark plugs to see what they look like. Once ignition checks out you can look at fuel delivery.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 10:59pm
back fires? yup i also would suspect in the fuel delivery....low or high pressure pumps fuel filter,
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandenairnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 11:17pm
When starting out rpms are under 3000 then once planed out about 4000. Motor seems pretty smooth a little rough at low rpms like1500 I smell a little exhaust also..but some is to be expected I guess. Yes we are going to check timing and fuel psi I ordered a new fuel filter today but inspected the old and didn't look to bad. Spark plugs look fine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandenairnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 11:18pm
Never backfires or sounds like gasping for fuel it runs pretty smooth just like if someone took the second half of the throtle away.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by brandenairnautique brandenairnautique wrote:

Never backfires or sounds like gasping for fuel it runs pretty smooth just like if someone took the second half of the throtle away.

Do you have Perfect Pass? If so, this could literally be the problem. If the servo motor is not functioning it could be leaving the throttle line slack.

Also, check this out:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25584&PN=1&title=poor-mans-gt40-diagnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandenairnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 9:44pm
No perfect pass. Any chance of the throttle line getting slack anyways?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandenairnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 11:14pm
I pushed the throttle down and saw continuous movement at the engine the whole time so I guess that's not it
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2013 at 11:36pm
Good to eliminate it as a possibility. Perfect pass has a servo motor that overrides the hand throttle, without it there isn't much chance of throttle cable problems.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2013 at 12:05am
limp mode? check to be sure you have a good impeller / water flow/ water pressure maybe a sensor is not working not hooked up..

This is the life
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2013 at 1:15am
Agree on potential limp mode.

A couple more quick checks:

*Does this have a Fuel Control Cell (FCC)? If so, have you Chechen that little rubber fuel line inside?
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/images/products/detail/photo.14.JPG

*Have you checked the anti siphon/check valve (connects fuel line to fuel tank)?

*Old or bad gas?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandenairnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2013 at 9:49pm
I have read that limp mode limits to around 2k rpm even though I feel im being shorted im reaching 4k top speed of 35mph. Yes it has the FCC I ordered a new fuel filter and will check the fuel line when I replace it tomorrow. Gas is not bad its been under powered thru a few tanks. Im about to google the anti shphon valve and check that now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandenairnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2013 at 6:28pm
Fixed: we changed fuel filter checked fuel pressure checked out fine..checking timing we noticed the light wasn't working on a few wires so we thought wires might be the problem...we pulled the spark plug wires off while running and no change on cylinders 1 2 and 7 number 7 the spark plug was bad and the spark was all over the place not in the cylinder this was with a new spark plug I had just put in so I changed it out.   number 1 and 2 we swaped plugs we ohmed the wires and even swaped wires they were fine..ended up looking at a firing diagram and somebody had swapped the wires of 1 and 2 cylinder. boat runs fine now. Had been running on 5-6 cylinders all summer and maybe even for the guy that owned it before me.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2013 at 1:23am
Nice easy fix! Enjoying the power with it running the way it should?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandenairnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2013 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Nice easy fix! Enjoying the power with it running the way it should?
Yes more power less gas. it was dumping gas in three cylinders without burning it plus with the boat not getting on plane its a 100% difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic