NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HARD FUEL LINE NOT NECESSARY! **READ**

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jaclins View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaclins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HARD FUEL LINE NOT NECESSARY! **READ**
    Posted: July-29-2013 at 5:03pm
So I was doing some research on what I can use instead of a hard fuel line which would have been a bit of work on my end and I am just not that handy. I was reading about the A1-15 hoses that are Coast Guard approved. I was then concerned about the use of standard hose clamps as opposed to some other type of connection.

So I wrote to John Adey, the President of the American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC) and asked him as I had seen his name on other sites with a lot of info. Here was his response:

"Yes, the USCG A-1-15 hose can be clamped with a standard hose clamp. Make sure you find 100% stainless clamps (including the screw) for corrosion resistance. Make sure that the hose from the pump to the carb. Is routed in such a way as to protect it from engine heat. Generally this connection is made with a metal pipe with flared fittings because of heat issues, make sure this is not an issue on your installation. If it is, you will want a marina (or a good auto shop) to make up this line and connect it for you. It will need to be custom made for the fittings and the bends that need to be used. It should not be a very expensive repair, but could keep the engine from catching on fire should the rubber hose melt on a hot engine."

Now for me, this is the way to go. I am sure the more mechanical people will still push the hard line and be able to do it, but just wanted to put this out there as most people think that they have to use a hard fuel line. Hope this helps some people looking for an alternative.

Just ordered my Trident A1-15 hose!!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 5:12pm
I believe this has been covered previously- no problem using approved hose. After reading the regs myself, what is still unclear is the type of fittings that are USCG approved to accept the hose. I believe a barbed fitting to be appropriate, but like I said, the rules are a little fuzzy on this detail.

I still think the hard line is the way to go, whenever practical, for both heat and durability reasons. The approved flexible lines (like what SkiDIM sells) are pretty nice too- and certainly not a run of the mill 3/8" hose you'll get at Autozone.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 5:34pm
Tim, don't you have steel braided line on the footer from pump to carb? Didn't get a real close look at it. I was distracted by those big shiny manifolds ;).

I prefer hard line if possible. I wanted to do it on my car but at the time there were only a few options out for the size of the Demon carb I was running.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 5:48pm
We have the aforementioned flexible fuel line (from SkiDIM) on the BFN... which, interestingly enough, does not appear to be listed on their website anymore. Strange.
jaclins View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaclins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 5:53pm
Found this even more interesting. We can all pretty much do whatever we want without fear of Coast Guard checks. I have read otherwise on here. Obviously we all want to be safe, but found this response from the Coast Guard surprising:

"Actually, the "law" regarding the issue you describe only applies to new boat manufacturers and not to the owner of the boat. With that said, however, there is a reason the manufacturers are required to use certain equipment and that reason is safety. Therefore it is very wise of you to use a marine rated fuel pump and the proper fuel hoses. I often receive the question "why do I have to spend so much money for a marine rated fuel pump when an automotive pump is much cheaper". My answer is "how much is your life worth".    

The answer to your question is that, if by "normal hose clamps", you mean the standard screw tightening type, you have the correct clamps. Regulations do not allow clamps that depend solely on the spring tension of the clamp for compressive force.

Thank you for doing the right thing and keeping you and your riders safer.
"

So basically any used boat can have any type of fuel system that you want and that only new applications have to abide by the law.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 6:05pm
If you use the hose, and route it carefully, I'd still plan to replace it as a routine item after some period of time, maybe 4-5 years. A hard line might start weeping at a flared connector at worst, but when a hose fails it will be a stream of fuel flowing out.

I walk both sides of the fence on some of these regs. I like the safety related items, but certainly my '63 isn't subject to any modern standards, my carb, fuel pump, etc. are not marine rated. I did have a fuel pump diaphragm fail some years ago which I only noticed because of the strong fuel smell, engine was running perfectly, yet I had a stream of gas flowing into the bilge. Am I going to upgrade to marine components? No. Just means I have to be more careful, more observant of things.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 6:12pm
Oh another note I have been meaning to post.

A few weekends ago I fired the boat up still sitting on the lift bunks but in the water. SOP for warm up if it has been sitting. I started to smell a strong fuel odor. Looked at the carb nothing moved on down the line and the pump was leaking. Killed it and found that the pump bolts had started to back out enough to make the rubber leak fuel. Tightened it up and it was all good.

That thought never popped into my mind but it wouldn't hurt to do a check on that in the spring fire up.
jaclins View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaclins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 6:20pm
I just finished installing the marine fuel pump a few min ago. PO had an automotive one. The new one is a lot bigger and has the built in fuel filter. Was a tight fit. Had to tap that steel bar with the electrode thingy on it between the pump and oil filter out of the way a bit. I dont think that will matter. Put in new fuel barbs on the pump and carb. Now just waiting for the new marine hoses to arrive. Hopefully they come before the weekend!

@63 Skier, I have been told it is very dangerous to use an auto pump. The marine one has an extra nipple where you can hook up a hose to run back to the carb in the event of a leak or pressure problem. Might be something to think about. Many people have used the words explosion and death, so I figured I would get the marine pump.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2013 at 6:51pm
Jeff, you're absolutely right. My question is whether a marine pump exists for a 1963 Buick V6. I don't know the answer, but at the time the old one failed I just replaced it with same. I still have the old one as well. It's quite possible there's a bolt on pump with the fail to carb hose connector but not sure.

I've had 2 jet boats that I've converted to marine carbs and pumps, plus marine starter on the one I have now.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic