Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - HELP!!! I am needing advise when purchasing 1st SN
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP!!! I am needing advise when purchasing 1st SN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jdewayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdewayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP!!! I am needing advise when purchasing 1st SN
    Posted: July-09-2013 at 7:03pm
I am looking at a 84 Ski Nautique and would like to talk to someone about what questions to ask and what to look for. you can reply to me, call me, text me. 702.521.1054 If there is someone near Medford OR that could help that would be great also. this is the link to the boat i am looking at. http://medford.craigslist.org/boa/3916521171.html

any help would be great. I am aware to be cautious of bad stringers.

thanks,

JD
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 7:37pm
Looks like a pretty clean boat from the pictures. Make sure to water test and see how it runs. Tell him to leave the motor cold before you get to the ramp so you can see how it fires up cold. Put it through its paces, get it up to operating temp, shut her down and let sit for a few minutes, restart a few times. Check forward/reverse, etc etc. Do a top speed run. Flog it a little and make sure it is a good runner.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
jdewayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdewayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 7:54pm
thanks for the info. what does flog mean? as you can see i am a newbie.

thanks again,

JD
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 8:04pm
Flog = beat the @&$* of of it

Make sure there is no vibration or odd noises.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
Bones71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bones71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2013 at 8:20pm
4000 seems low to me. How many hours on it? It does look clean. The owner doesn't say much in the ad. That allso seems a little strange but whatever. Drive it and look it over hard. Bones.
That money talks, I'll not deny, I heard it once: It said 'Goodbye'
jdewayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdewayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2013 at 2:47am
1300 hrs on motor. What do you think of that?
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2013 at 9:54am
It does look clean. That interior is pretty good for 29 years. 1300 hours on the motor is fine, but if it hasn't been rebuilt, that is probably in your future. That's 11 4-hour (engine hour) trips per year for 29 years.

A few things I noticed though:

1) The fly-high pole is nice if you are going to wakeboard, but it either means that they removed, broke, or cut the ring and finger off the original pylon. Find out what.
2) The fly-high seems to be connected to the front lifting ring, which is a no-no. There should be a strap; see if they have it and look at the front lifting ring. Look for stress cracks around it.
3) The swim platform is not original. It doesn't look horrible, but it may be a slightly different shape. Seems to be composite or fiberglass?
4) The transom tie downs are not original. They are nice to have but make sure it was a professional installation. If you can see inside the transom, see if they are through bolts (they better be!) and that they have some kind of backing plate.
5) The gas cap is not original (from what I can tell from that pic). Not necessarily a big deal, but when I removed mine, I could see why... it was soooo corroded and flaking inside. I'd just ask about it to find out why it was changed.

Take a test ride like the others said and check for temps and performance. You can see in picture 2 and 4 that it appears to be running (2 I see exhaust and 4 the hose is in the water strainer, which is something you'd do to run it). Also try to check compression on each cylinder.

Also ask them to remove the back seat, rear floor panel, and gas tank panel. This will allow you to check out the stringers for delamination or anything obvious, and will allow you to see the transom tie downs.

If everything is in working order, $4000 seems reasonable but you should be able to get it down a bit. However, realize that you still may have a stringer/floor job and engine rebuild in your future.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
jdewayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdewayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 4:42pm

what do you guys think of the metal-strip that is on the front hull?
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 4:57pm
Keel guard. A lot of guys use them... either because they want to beach their boat or they have before and are covering up the damage. I'm not a big fan of beaching and I'd ask the PO about it, but it wouldn't prevent me from wanting to buy the boat.

Did you go over the questions in my previous post?

The trailer, while not a Correct Craft looks pretty nice, and it has a winch.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
jdewayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdewayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2013 at 5:11pm
Yes. He is second owner.

1) Cut ring. Boat came like that for him. I plan on using pole or buying tower anyways.
2) Does have strap, does not have cracks
3) Fiber swim step. It’s okay. I would have preferred teak.
4) Came with boat when he purchased. Mounted properly
5) Cap came with boat as well when he purchased.

I live in Las Vegas NV. I have a good friend in Medford OR where the boat is. He has met with guy and looked over boat. They are going to do water test this evening. I am trying to wait patiently. I have been looking for a SN 2001 for about 2 ½- 3 months now. They only thing boat is missing is, the back rest for back seat. Boat comes with Fly-high Pole, Bimini, and Cover.
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2013 at 5:25pm
How did the water test go ?
jdewayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdewayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2013 at 7:26pm
Got pushed to today, I am very anxious. I was thinking of just throwing a lowball offer for like $3350 and skip the water test, but everyone recommends doing water test. So I am waiting.
jdewayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdewayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2013 at 11:56pm
Well here is an update. I got an email from the owner today at 4 and he sold it last night. Pretty bummed. If anyone knows of a boat down around my area, let me know. The search is on again. Man I liked that boat. Last time I comment on it.
jdewayne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdewayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2013 at 11:49pm
Well I got my first Ski Nautique. It is an 86 Ski Nautique 2001 with 1100 hrs. It needs some work but I am excited and cannot wait to get working on it and taking it out to the water.

JD

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2013 at 11:54pm
Congrats on your purchase. The fun begins.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2013 at 9:00am
Congratulations of your purchase. They are great preforming boats & easy to maintain.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic