NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Questions
    Posted: June-25-2013 at 8:46pm
We just got a '92 CCSN PCM 5.8L and wanted to change the fluids, impeller and a few other things before we get underway with serious use.

The manual states the only way to differentiate the 1:1 from the 1.23:1 is by the length of the beveled edge on the dipstick. 1/2" is the 1:1, 3/4" is the 1.23:1

Is this correct?

When I checked the fluid it was reddish-pink and looked OK. If I wanted to change the fluid, what would you recommend I replace it with? Synthetic? Weight?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 8:54pm
There are several ways to differentiate between a 1:1 and a 1.23, the tag on the tranny and the presence (or lack of) the aft reduction housing are 2 big ones.

On the fluid, red is good, but pink is bad. Pink (strawberry milkshake) indicates the presence of water, which these PCM's do not handle well. Absolutely NO on the synthetic. Stick with conventional ATF, either Dex/Merc or Dex III. Avoid high mileage formulations. You'll need to flush the fluid several times to get all the water out. Buy 5+ qts.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2013 at 9:24pm
There was definitely no water in it. I just meant a lighter red not necessarily blood red. I've seen tranny fluid with water in it and I don't believe there is any in this unit.

I'll check the plate when I take the cover off next. The fluids you mentioned above are all 20W? A hand pump and tube will be enough to drain the system correct?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2013 at 12:47am
Dextron III is an automatic transmission fluid. They now have up to Dex V or VI - stick with Dex III.

A suction pump is the best way to change the fluid out. Get a 1 foot length of 1/8 copper tubing to get down to the bottom of the case. There is only a small hole for access in the dipstick port.

I takes just shy of 2 quarts for a full change.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2013 at 4:40pm
I thought I read somehwere on here that the preferred fluid for a '92 PCM 1.23:1 trans is Dex 3 or Dex/Merc trans fluids.

I picked up this. Is this OK?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 9:38am
Anyone?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 10:11am
That is the right stuff.

Ben Franklin
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 11:50am
Great thanks.

It only took about 1.5 quarts. I have the boat leveled on the trailer when I am checking the fluid level. After adding 1.5 quarts I am just above the full mark on the dipstick.

I have not started the motor since refilling the transmission.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 12:11pm
it should take a bit more after you run it and fill the trans cooler up.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2013 at 5:05pm
Ill throw her on the hose this week and see if the level drops at all.

Thanks.
Nauti87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nauti87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 5:33pm
Check it as soon as you shut off the engine, before any oil can come back from the cooler making it look more full that it really is.
1987 SN 2001 Barn Find aka "Nauti" (sold sadly)
1988 MC Anniversary Prostar 190
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 10:12pm
I'll run it on the hose for a few minutes until she's all warmed up, then shut her down and quickly check the level.

First time I've ever changed the trans fluid.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2013 at 10:44pm
You need to put into Fwd & Rev a few times before shutting it off. That fills all the cavities. I suggest wetting down the cutlass bushing if you do this on trailer.

Ben Franklin
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 8:55am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

You need to put into Fwd & Rev a few times before shutting it off. That fills all the cavities. I suggest wetting down the cutlass bushing if you do this on trailer.

OK, I wasn't sure if I needed to put it in gear or not. I'll have the wife hold a second hose on the cutlass as I engage the trans.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2013 at 9:02am
If you don't plan to run it in gear for an extended period just wetting the cutlass should be enough, no reason to get a second hose involved.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic