Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Locks Up

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
YooperSully View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Locks Up
    Posted: June-18-2013 at 9:10pm
A pleasant new summer to all. Last season my steering seized up. Put me straight into a panic. By the time I pulled the throttle back it released. So it stuck for 2 secs. And by "locking up" I mean with no reasonable force would it move without risking breaking something in the column. When I returned home I cut the vent pipe hanging behind the tank thinking that it wasn't letting the rudder move. Next time out, all was fine. Time after that locked up when I tried to taxi away from the launch. Nothing after that because the season was over by then. Now I'm getting ready to launch for the first time this year and I have this issue on my hand. Does this sound like a cable issue or is this a rudder packing issue? Or thirdly..where the cable mounts to the stringer in the rear of the boat could this be screwed? Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

87' 2001
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2013 at 9:25pm
Were you at full R or L when it locked up? Have you ever changed the cable?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2013 at 9:51pm
First time i was moving fairly straight, from ten o clock to two o clockish. Sencond time was at a full L or R as i was leaving the dock. Cable has never been replaced.
87' 2001
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2013 at 10:15pm
Probably ought to unhook the steering cable from the rudder and check it. But really, after 26 years, it probably needs a new cable.
Oletela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oletela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2013 at 11:46pm
Check the steering helm underneath the dash. Mine sheered some teeth a few months ago and would lock up when broken teeth wedged into the gears.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2013 at 5:06am
cable
This is the life
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2013 at 9:58am
Old cables usually get stiff... never seen one bind tight all of a sudden. Im with Otela- I'd bet on the helm having some chipped teeth.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2013 at 10:07am
I think Tim and Otela are on the right track. Usually they just get stiff not lock up. My cable snapped while driving this spring but it was just tight. Not tight enough for me to think it might snap but it did. You can still get original helms via me but they are around 450 bucks. I just so happen to have the helm setup out of the 1987 parts boat still here.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2013 at 12:59pm
and they shear teeth for no reason?...maybe a tight cable?
This is the life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2013 at 1:32pm
Good point. What about a bad rudder packing, maybe that too. Are those just like the shaft packing?
87' 2001
Oletela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oletela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2013 at 3:14pm
My cable still felt brand new when I replaced the helm, so I pretty much thought that it just sheered because it is a 24 year old boat and has made countless turns. I bought mine from nautique parts for 230 but they no longer have one listed so I could have bought the last one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2013 at 10:32am
What type of helm do i need to look for for a replacement? Original equipment isnt necessary.
87' 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2013 at 12:22pm
check SkiDIM
This is the life
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 10:46am
Original equipment is necessary if you want it to steer like it should, and you dont want to replace every other piece in your steering system- wheel, bezel, cable, etc.

You want a Big-T Helm.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 7:37pm
Did a bit of reading on the " big t " helm amd it says it uses the quick connect cable, are the replacement cables quick connect or is there an adapter for them?
87' 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 9:29pm
so if you are changing the helm and cable why not upgrade to rack and pinon like CC did a few years later?

I sure would put in a rack system.
This is the life
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2013 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by YooperSully YooperSully wrote:

Did a bit of reading on the " big t " helm amd it says it uses the quick connect cable, are the replacement cables quick connect or is there an adapter for them?

the new cables are quick connect,when I bought mine about 1 1/2 years ago it came with a connector
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2013 at 10:26pm
Is the "Big T" Helm the one that is in the boat originally?
87' 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 3:34pm
I'm Posting some pictures just so people understand the difference in a 17.5' cable and a 18'. P.O. had put in a 18' steering cable and then set it to turn good to the right but not good to the left. Last year after I rebuilt the stringers I re-installed everything straight and center. Needless to say my boat didn't steer good at all. Install the proper cable and all is well now.

This first picture shows the difference on the rudder end of the cable

The second picture shows the difference in length of the cable when the rudder ends are lined up.

The Third Picture shows the difference in length when you line up the helm end at the mounting nut for the helm.

The fourth picture shows the difference in rudder movement between the two cables. The two pieces of tape (one left and one right of center) that are closest to center shows the rudder angle allowed with the non-factory 18' cable. The two pieces of tape to the outside (far left & far right) show the rudder angle allowed with the correct 17.5 cable.

As of the last 8 hours on the boat my steering hasn't shown any signs of tightness or locking up so I'd have to say the new cable solved my problem.

87' 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 5:40pm
yep now flip down those pitots and your airguides will work too.
This is the life

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YooperSully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 5:54pm
huh, and sacrifice all of that drag? Actually pretty nice not having two speedos showing two different speeds.
87' 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2013 at 6:23pm
drag? add horsepower!

I keep mine clean and set by GPS and they are amazingly accurate...but I do rely on the GPS since it gives me tenths of a mph
This is the life
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2013 at 12:49am
Cool you got it fixed   

Good explanation on the cables as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic