Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gold leaf graphics???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gold leaf graphics???
    Posted: January-30-2006 at 6:17pm
A couple years ago I stripped the original graphics off of my 89 only to find some fading. I proceeded to sand and polish the gel coat back to where it was just one color. To me, it was a fairly big job that I don't want to do again. Afterwards, I cut my own graphics on my vinyl cutter and installed them. It looked pretty good. The next year I pulled off the 1 year old graphics and did it again with a new design. The graphics don't look anything like the original except for the fact that it says "Ski Nautique" along with some other stuff. I'd like to replace the graphics again this year, possibly with some vinyl gold leaf lettering along the red stripe. Has anyone seen anything like that before or have any ideas about what might look good? Obviously it doesn't have to appear stock, but I do want it to say "Ski Nautique".
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 6:22pm
Bob; Don't know about the gold leaf idea but, I have always liked your "reverse graphics". Love the red deck and carpet.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 6:55pm
BigAir,   I can't imagine why you would want to change the look of that sweet boat. Gold leaf does sound a little much for a red and white boat, especially one as unique as the look you already have.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 7:13pm
Bob, that's the sweetest boat ever! I don't know anything about graphics, but I just wanted to express my own boat envy!
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2006 at 11:10pm
Wow. Thanks for the nice comments.
Here's a photoshop picture of what I was thinking.

JMurph, you might be right about it being a bit too much. The nice thing about owning a vinyl cutter is that graphics don't cost very much and I can replace them almost at will. Some day I plan on going back to original.
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 3:00am
Not bad........that was hard to imagine. It is nice to have resources. I don't think you can go wrong when you can change at will. Keep us posted with a current picture.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 6:25am
The previous owner had the name of my boat cut out of gold leaf and placed on the stern, it makes an awesome reflective effect in the water particularily at night when the sun is low and the water glasslike...
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 7:47pm
Big Air let me second dchris; Boat envy!!

The '89 has always been my favorite!! Your paint scheme rockz!!

When I first read your post about the gold leaf graphics, well let me say I was thinking
"Pimp my Ride"!! After looking at your photoshop pix I must admit it looks good. I like the way you used the black overlay to give a more "finished" look.

I am thinking of changing out the original screen print graphics on my '89 as well so I'd love to see what you come up with. I don't want to copy, just get another visual.

Good luck, keep us posted!!
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2006 at 11:10pm
Thanks duffnit. I think I'll give it a shot and see how it comes out. I hear ya about the "Pimp My Ride" thing. I thought the same thing at first. Because of the reverse gel coat, the boat has a kind of older hot rod look to it. I looked at a lot of older race cars and started noticing several really good looking gold leaf numbers and other graphics. I also started noticing that a lot of older wooden boats use gold leaf for the boats name. That's what gave me the idea. Plus, gold, red and black look good together. Gold leaf vinyl is a little pricey so I don't really want to waste it, but, if it looks bad I can pull it off.
I wish I could find out just how rare the color scheme of my boat is. I have a feeling that there's not a whole lot of them out there. I bought it from the dealer that was the original seller. He told me that he special ordered three reverse gel coat boats back in 89. One blue, one teal and my red one. I was able to find out that a Florida ski show had some like it too, but theirs all had a double steering cable set up and mine only has one. It's quite a bit harder to take care of than a white boat, but in my opinion it's worth it. Even though we ski in a fairly soft water lake, everybody knows the wash down and dry off procedure.
Is it summer yet? I guess I'll have to pray harder.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 4:22am
Hey BigAir, I LOVE the boat. I have an 88' that is the red and white but in the basic color set up. Being a UGA fan (I bleed red and black) that boat would be the ultimate ski boat for this Ga boy. I even pull it with a red truck and always have a UGA flag flying from the skylon. I lovethe red carpet and if ever I change my gray I'll go with red.
Nothing extraordinary about mine butI do have a unique sticker behind the back seat that says " Correct Craft" with a world globe between the two words. I was told that the boat was used in the 88' Masters ski tourney. I figure that its possible as while the camera is following the skier, the TV viewer would see "Correct Craft" on every pass. I'll half to get a picture posted in the diaries section. Great Looking Boat Bro!!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 7:43am
Big Air have you ever contacted CC to see how many reverse gel schemes they did? Just a thought. I can say yours is the only one I've seen. Guess that's why we all admire yours.

We've had a very mild winter here. It was 70 Mon. I've been getting antsy to get my boat in the water but it seems to be rainy each time I have a chance. I'm with you on the praying harder!! lol   

BTW, in your diaries post, is that the original graphics? d
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 9:09am
Originally posted by duffnit duffnit wrote:

Big Air have you ever contacted CC to see how many reverse gel schemes they did?
We've had a very mild winter here. It was 70 Mon.
BTW, in your diaries post, is that the original graphics? d

I have contacted CC and asked about it. The first guy said that it's impossible and that it's just paint.
Well, that's obviously not true. The second time I tried I talked to a guy named Jeff???? He's the one that told about the ski team in florida along with a few other ones. He didn't know exactly how many were made because they never kept records. I'm wondering if maybe there's a color code in the hull numbers like there is in a car's vin.   The diaries post that I made has pictures that the dealer in Kansas took prior to me going down there and buying it. The side that you see was the good side for graphics. If you look close, you can see some fading, but not as bad as the other side. You can also see some oxidation in the red gel around the back corner. If you look real close you might be able to see a couple scratches in the deck right in front of the lift ring. All of that is gone now and it has new custom graphics that look exactly like the gold leaf ones that I made except that they are white with a black shadow.
duffnit, what state are you in? I'm in Wisconsin and the lakes have about 12 inches of ice. Although, it's been pretty mild here too and we're hoping to be out on the water by the end of March.
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Hey BigAir, I LOVE the boat. I have an 88' that is the red and white but in the basic color set up. Being a UGA fan (I bleed red and black) that boat would be the ultimate ski boat for this Ga boy. I even pull it with a red truck and always have a UGA flag flying from the skylon. I lovethe red carpet and if ever I change my gray I'll go with red.
Nothing extraordinary about mine butI do have a unique sticker behind the back seat that says " Correct Craft" with a world globe between the two words. I was told that the boat was used in the 88' Masters ski tourney. I figure that its possible as while the camera is following the skier, the TV viewer would see "Correct Craft" on every pass. I'll half to get a picture posted in the diaries section. Great Looking Boat Bro!!

Thanks man. I'm a Wisconsin Badger fan so the red and white is perfect for me too.   It sounds like you have cool boat. In my opinion every Correct Craft is extraordiary. Especially if it was used in a Masters Ski Tourney. You should put together a diaries page. I'm sure a lot of people would love to see it.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 9:39am
Bigair,

I suspect you talked to Jeff Warner, who was the VP of marketing for CC. Jeff was recently let go and replaced by a woman who left CC, went to Boston Whaler, and has now returned. The big news here. Jeff is a Meloon. His mother is one of the Meloon daughters. BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 9:44am
BKH; I thought I had heard that also. How could they replace Jeff, who was a "friend" of us kinda guys and a Meloon to boot? I hate change!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2006 at 1:39pm
Big Air I spent a month in Fond du Lac about a year ago. Let me just say buurrrr!! I guess we humans adapt to our enviroment, but man o' man was I glad to get back to South Carolina!! No offense, but better you than me. At least you see some snow, It's been about four years since we've had any accumulation here!!

If you make it out by late March that's not bad. I would have thought May-ish.

Perhaps BKH can enlighten you on the vin #'s.
Seems like he explained that in a post recently but I couldn't find it.

As for the white and black graphics I'm sure that stands out on your red.

My '89 is off white and burgundy, with grey pinstripping. I'm thinking about a metalic grey lettering with a dark grey shadow. Maybe change the font a little. I haven't really decided, just wanted to "freshin'" up the look.   
Danny

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic