NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40P Cylinder Head Sources

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40P Cylinder Head Sources
    Posted: April-16-2013 at 4:33pm
Edited this post so the list of sources is in the top post.

These are shops that people on CCF have used:
- Clearwater Cylinder Head - website - Phone: 1-800-572-1963

- Tri-State Cylinder Head - no website yet - Phone: 812-421-0095

Others on eBay:

- Odessa Cylinder Head (also in Clearwater FL) - e-Bay Shop - Phone: 727-299-9058

- J&C Enterprises - e-Bay store - Phone: 800-266-5599

----------------
original message:

Is Odessa Cylinder Head on eBay the same as Clearwater Cylinder Head in Florida?

I'm trying to price out GT40P heads.

They have this one for $510 free shipping.

I know people also talk about Tri State. They don't seem to have a website. Is this them? Tri - State Cylinder Head 812-421-0095

I've also found this on eBay: J & C Enterprises for a total of $494 including shipping.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 5:45pm
[QUOTE=ny_nautique] Is Odessa Cylinder Head on eBay the same as Clearwater Cylinder Head in Florida?
QUOTE]

No
http://www.cylinder-heads.com/Home__.html

Tristate is updating their website but if you go to it, it gives a number you can call for info.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 5:56pm
Tri-State may be gone, I couldn't get their site to come up a few weeks ago, but had no trouble a few months ago. There's still some numbers online if you wanted to try and call them.

From just doing this, the stock GT40p springs are a little weak, but not a lot. I'm not really sure they wouldn't handle the RPM's a boat turns and unless you're constantly running around at WOT you may not ever notice.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 6:16pm
Just got off the phone with tristate. They fired their web master and he got mad and took their site down. They are currently working on a new site.
If you google tristate cylinder it has the number you can call.

I put a set of their "P's" in my '95 EFI along with a CR cam and they run great.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 6:52pm
Cool, the extra cost is only about what the springs themselves run.   I did my own just to learn, but you can expect
It to take at least an evening unless you're familiar with the process and have a nice spring compressor.   I used a vise with a pressure gauge and one of the cheap screw down spring compressors, lots of turning things, takes about 10min a spring once you get the hang of it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 7:11pm
I called Tri-State as well and their quote was the highest of all. $598 plus $50 shipping to NY.

I'm impressed so far by the communication from J&C on eBay. I emailed them on Friday, got a response in a few minutes. I asked a follow-up on Saturday and they replied within minutes. And I asked something again today and got a quick reply. No charge extra for brass plugs, they said just talk to the shop manager after placing the order.

Don, what springs did you get?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 8:01pm
I got a set from Alex's parts, found him on the Corral.com.   He was a little cheaper than the drop in Trick Flow set and the only thing extra was shims. I think it was about $100 delivered. I sent them the cam specs and they sent everything and some details on setup for the P heads.   A bit different than CR specs, but the cam was for some Performer RPM heads and the P's have shorter valve stems. Looking back on it now, that's why I think the P's might work with the stock springs, I was testin them at the CR closed height and they were very soft, had I known the valves I was using were 1/4in shorter they would have been a lot closer to what I was looking for.

By the way take everything you read over there with a grain of salt, they're doing something different building drag motors. We seem to be building truck and street car motors, I think a lot of parts they don't like would probably work well here if they turned the right way.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2013 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

I called Tri-State as well and their quote was the highest of all. $598 plus $50 shipping to NY.

You had better make sure your compairing apples to apples. My Tristates were built on new castings which by might not now be available but also have larger stainless steel intake and exhaust valves and better springs already installed
If you are installing them on a 351 the head bolt holes need to be drilled too
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2013 at 12:39am
Yes, if you look at the eBay link it says "$60 additional for 351 for drilling 1/2" holes". I called them and they said it just adds an additional day. I'll check on the valves and springs.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2013 at 12:52am
That the first I've heard of bigger valves from tristate, I knew they did a little more work and used more new parts but I don't remember them saying they used bigger valves.

The P heads are a bit touchy and I've heard that its pretty easy to mess up the ports and loose the mid range advantage they have.   They pop up fairly frequently on the Corral, just don't pay extra for port work if you find some there.   
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2013 at 1:06am
Tristate has always installed larger valves, done a higher quality valve grind and upgraded the valvesprings on the P's. At least since the P head conversion talk started 7 or 8 years ago. From all reports, they seem to be a little bit better than the run of the mill head refurb shop shipping these out the door for $400.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2013 at 1:19am
Stock sizes are 1.84 and 1.46 Tristates are 1.94 and 1.55. In this
pic you can see how far they went into the sparkplug boss compaired
to the stock ones in the bottom pic

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2013 at 1:47am
I grabbed a set from Clearwater a few months ago and I was very happy with the price. No extra charge for brass plugs or to drill out the headbolt holes. Only thing I'll caution you on, is if you're going to do a cam Tri-state may be the better option. Clearwater reuses the old valve springs, albeit they test every one, and other stock components whereas Tri-State upgrades the springs(among other things) to accomodate more aggressive cams. When I added up the extra cost to upgrade the valvetrain on the Clearwater heads it was much more than just buying a set from Tri-State. So I guess price is relative to what you want to ultimately upgrade.

To support what TX said, I've had multiple machine shops tell me the same thing on the Ps. They have tinner coolant passage walls and are much easier to screw up, expecially for these garage guys doing dremel port jobs.
'94SN Restoration underway...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2013 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Stock sizes are 1.84 and 1.46 Tristates are 1.94 and 1.55. In this
pic you can see how far they went into the sparkplug boss compaired
to the stock ones in the bottom pic

Interesting... the eBay listing for the J&C Enterprises heads says "Heads are assembled with 1.837 intake valves and 1.451 exhaust valves".
So they are (slightly) smaller than stock?
They really do grind a lot into the spark plug boss. That seems excessive (to someone that knows nothing about this...)
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Kiteboarder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiteboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2013 at 12:52am
I ordered these GT40P heads from Clearwater in January, fast service, good price. Hoping to finish my rebuild next week.

Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2013 at 1:09am
Did find Tri-State Cylinder Heads on facebook. They say as of 4/17/2013 they are redoing their web page. In the mean time they can be reached at 1-800270-0095. They did, at one time, have good price on GT40p heads.

Hope this helps
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2013 at 12:14pm
Hey guys - I've got a chance to get GT40P heads locally for $200 to be rebuilt. Besides something visually obvious, is there any way I can check for cracking or other problems before I drop them off for magnafluxing and machining?
I obviously don't want to buy cracked heads...
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic