NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing GT40 Manifold and Riser Gasket

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
ricofrancois View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 6:42pm
Yes I hate these ez out stuff.

I was thinking a last attempt with a but of jb weld on the Allen wrench and let it get hard overnight.
Ski Nautique 97 - GT40 EFI
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2013 at 1:56am
JOB DONE!!!

I decided that I wasn't going to win against the manifold so I look up a local mechanic who had been recommended.

They welded a bolt in the stuck allen bolt and it was free in a few minutes. Same on the other side.

After this, they removed the broken riser bolts from the manifolds using the same technique and a lot of heat (the manifold around the broken bolt was red hot). I hope the heat didn't weakened the manifold. The guy said no as long as you let them cool slowly.

mac3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2013 at 12:36pm
Tks!

Used everyone's recommendations/bolt removal techniques and they worked! All the manifold and riser bolts came out succesfully!

Are there torque values for the new bolts or just snug tight?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2013 at 2:46am
I would be interested to get the torque numbers for GT40 as well.

This is what my manifolds and risers looked like once removed. The photos make it look worth than they look because of the flash but they actually look healthy after 15 years...

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2013 at 11:21am
I would use grade 5 specs per this chart:

Torques
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricofrancois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 12:35am
Manifolds and risers replaced. All working great. for those who asked, I torqued all to 20ft/lb.

The only issue was a bad smell for the first few sets from the spray sealant buring off.

Thanks for all your help
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2013 at 10:19pm
I can start a new thread if you'd like me to, but I cannot for the life of me get one of the plugs back into the exhaust manifold. I've sprayed it with a VERY low quality lubricant (WD-40) and tried threading in a pvc fitting, to clear the threads. I just can't get it started. Am I looking at a replace job or are there other things I should try first?
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2013 at 11:02pm
Probably and easy fix with just run a tap through it, I believe that was the first thing mentioned in the rebuild book when the assembly process starts. Bad news is you should probably remove the heads when you do that so the shavings don't end up on top of the pistons.

By the way great timing, I spent a half hour chasing threads last night but I didn't think to do the spark plugs so I'm heading to the garage now to get that done.
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2013 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Dank Dank wrote:

get one of the plugs back into the exhaust manifold.

Don I believe he is talking about the drain plug in the end of the exhaust manifold not a spark plug. Am I correct Dank?

You may try chasing it with a tap. It may be a 3/4-14 NPT. Maybe some one who knows for sure will post.
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2013 at 11:35pm
Oops, same deal though run a tap through it and you can do it on the motor, the problem is going to be finding one that big. What part of Austin are you in?
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2013 at 11:46pm
Yep, the drain plug is the issue, and I've confirmed it's 3/4 NPT. Thanx for the advice, I'll see if I can locate a tap that size. I'm in west Austin near Mansfield Dam.
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2013 at 12:04am
Be careful running a pipe tap in there. The 3/4 NPT is correct just don't run it in too far. Only clean the threads out DO NOT cut new ones.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2013 at 12:40am
Off the top of my head I can't think of any where close that might let you borrow or just do that for you real quick. There's a machine shop at Lamar / Manchaca that would probably do it. If you travel south, Austin Bolt should have the tap they're off Ben White around Monopolis. You might fInd one at either Harbor Freight, not sure I've never looked.
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2013 at 12:45am
If I can't find it locally, this looks like it would do the trick

3/4"-14 NPT Carbon Steel Pipe Tap
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2013 at 12:52am
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2013 at 1:08am
For everyone who lives elsewhere, Austin absolutely sucks for most any type of industrial work, I take things to Houston or San Antonio for any kind of coating rebuild or machining. Lots of high tech stuff but almost zero intustrial capability, even my Dragboat buddies suggest sending stuff elsewhere to get things done.

Dank fill out your profile and keep in touch, we'll probably have another get together in Marble Falls this summer.

Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2013 at 1:49am
Thanx for all the advice guys. A Texas meetup sounds like a definite plan :)
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2013 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Dank Dank wrote:

If I can't find it locally, this looks like it would do the trick

3/4"-14 NPT Carbon Steel Pipe Tap

3/4-14 NPT that's the guy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic