NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1983 Ski nautique update

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Andrew McBride View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew McBride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1983 Ski nautique update
    Posted: November-10-2005 at 7:49pm
Here are a couple pictures of a 83' Ski nautique I am restoring. The floor has been replaced and re-fiberglassed. All New Seats that are white with black stripes. The boat is finished now, these pics are a few months old. I plan to add a custom black tower, bimini top, tint the windshield and I have a set of 99 Ski Nautique decals that will go on soon.

The trailer has been restored and painted semi-gloss black. I took the front fenders and had them rhino-lined. Here are a few pics.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a312/almcbri/?action=view¤t=BoatBlue.jpg

Andrew McBride
83' Ski Nautique
"Under Construction"
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2005 at 8:30pm
Looks like it's gonna be great. Can't wait
for the final pics. You gonna pull it with that classic camaro.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2005 at 8:34pm
Andrew...it's lookin great!
It won't be too long now before she's in the water...unless like me, you have to wait for spring!
Keep us updated!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew McBride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2005 at 9:06pm
Thanks guys, I am excited to see it come together. I still haven't found an engine yet. The girl I bought the boat from let the boat fall apart. Block and 1 head was cracked. I am probably going with a rebuilt 351W engine. It should be ready to go this spring. Final Assembly will be over X-mas. I am in college so my time is limited to work on my projects!

lol, no the camaro won't be my tow rig. That car has 1,300 hours in it. 68 Camaro, Fuel Injected Small block, TH400 trans, Corvette brakes, custom suspension, 17" custom wheels, rhino-liner on the underbody. Custom Interior and still can't decide on paint. I am leaning towards a blue simiar to the boat!
All the work has been done by me on both boat and car.
Andrew McBride
83' Ski Nautique
"Under Construction"
convo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote convo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2005 at 6:21pm
Are you related to a Mike McBride?? Lives in NC.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2005 at 9:56pm
When do you find time to study? And you sure must have some kinda good job to be in school and have cool toys. I musta misspent my youth..........john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
markb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2005 at 2:42pm

Excellent work Andrew, I am doing the same with 2 boats, a '76SN and '81SN.

My GF was onto me about painting the dash white instead of the standard black. I didn't agree at the time but seeing how yours turned out I'm a convert :-)

Does your's have the standard interior? You going to re-skin that or do a full custom ala 1986+
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew McBride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2005 at 2:55pm
Convo: No, there is no relation in S. Carolina area.

John: Nice boat, I remember seeing your boat on here awhile back and thinking wow that is one clean boat.
This project is both my brother and I's boat. My projects are 3 hours away from college so that keeps me from spending all my time hiding out in the garage. When I am at home I have a tough time getting out of the shop. I work in marketing PT while going to school FT. I work hard and save my pennies.
I love to do bodywork, paint, and fabrication which keeps my budget cost down.

Markb:
    You know we were going to paint the dash black but we talked ourselves out of it due to the heat of black.
I am not for sure what kind of seats we have. I believe they are standard. They are the full rear seat, the front benchlike lookout seat, and the bucket captains chair. We had the seats custom re-upholstered white w/ 3 black thin stripes. Turned out great.
I wanted to do the interior from a newer style Nautique, but couldn't find any at a decent price.
I am considering building a moveable chair to go behind the captains chair due to all that dead space.-Like the new nautiques have.
I will add a picture of the dash to my web so you can see it a little better.

Andrew McBride
83' Ski Nautique
"Under Construction"
brimeg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brimeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2005 at 4:41pm
Andrew:

Looks great. . . I have to repaint a 78 and may do the same with the dash.

Quick question for you though. . .are you sure yours is an 83 Ski Nautique. Back end doesn't look right for an 83 or else I have been inhaling to much resin fumes.

Keep up the great work!

Brian
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew McBride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2005 at 5:26pm
Brian,

yeah I am 99.9% sure it is an 83'. I remember wondering that myself until I checked the t*tle, and also the vin shows the year in the digits. I don't know if maybe the rubber bumper guard is throwing you off. We did away with the aluminum stuff and went back with the rubber stuff to bring the boat up to date. The one thing with the year that has thrown me off is the front air duct. I don't know if I have ever seen an 83' with its style, normally it seems like they have the two black louvers on either side. I dunno though!

Andrew McBride
83' Ski Nautique
"Under Construction"
markb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2005 at 1:11am
Andrew,

That boat is not an 1983, it's more like an '81.

Note the dead flat bottom when veiwed from the rear as brimeg said.

Not that it matters and I'm suprised that no one here picked it sooner..
SMay81SN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMay81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2005 at 7:35am
Andrew,
I'm with markb, I think the boat is older then a 83, more like a 77-78. The front air scoop does not have the teak strip top on it. I would really be suprised if it truely is a 83.

Have fun with the project.
Scott
Scott
Our 94 SN
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2005 at 8:56am
1982...was'nt that when the"2001" was introduced? Andrew's boat would have to be before that right? regardless ,the project is going well though! Wish I could do that stuff when I was a student Way to go Andrew!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew McBride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2005 at 10:56am
This has really got me wondering now. The t*tle says 83. Here is what has me confused:
1. the front air duct is different from 83's, more like the 80's. The top air duct piece is fiberglass, it isn't the wood one.
2. The rear seat sets on the ground. There is no base that raises it up.
3. The windshield had the vent windows where you could turn them out and get air, but they were broken so I replaced them with a solid piece of glass.
4.http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=817&sort=&pagenum=2&yrstart=1981&yrend=1985
The paint scheme looked ideticle to this boat (minus the gold 2001 part) before I stripped the paint off.
5. I see what you guys mean about the bottom rear part, my boat is flat, but the other 83's have the arch on the bottom.

This has really got me wondering. I deal with cars a lot and see sometimes that in the factories they will use the last years parts for the next year productions. Like for example early production cars in 65 may have some 64 parts that were left over, so they use those parts up before going with the 65 parts. That still wouldn't make sense, because the shell of my boat looks like an 80 I believe.
Andrew McBride
83' Ski Nautique
"Under Construction"
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2005 at 11:47am
When I bought my boat, the t*tle said it was a '76, but it was actually a '78 - according to the Hull ID number. The hull ID is very easy to interpret - the last two numbers are the year. What is your Hull ID number (its the number stamped in the gelcoat on the top starboard-side of your transom - just below the rub rail)?

Is it possible that Correct Craft made a non-2001-Ski Nautique in '83?
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2005 at 11:53am
Here's an interesting related thread:

Difference between ’81 and ’82+ Ski Nauti

The 1981 boat billgatesceo was looking at had the tapered chines, but not the vee-hull ...just like yours.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
markb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2005 at 1:19pm

My best guess is it is a 1979 rather than '83. It's definately not a 2001 though.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew McBride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2005 at 5:03pm
I dunno, I am all confused on the year now.
When I get back home I am going to re-check the Serial but I remember seeing the 83. I am going to call correct craft and find out if they have any info. on file and maybe I can get it figured out. It doesn't really matter that much on the year, but it is odd.

Andrew McBride
83' Ski Nautique
"Under Construction"
markb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2005 at 5:46pm

If you have a quick look through the refernce section you will find that 1979 matches your boat.

split windshield, matching rear vent, flat at stern with no vee bottom.

I wonder if it possible that it was first registered in 1983? Not sure what your licencing and registration rules are in the USA.

The HIN will tell you for sure though or at least it should but either way it's the pre 1982 2001 hull no matter what it tells you.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2005 at 6:09pm
You will find the Hull ID Number on the right side of the transom, just below the rubrail.

For boats made in the US between 72 and 84:

12 digit code

Example ABC 12345 1272
- First Three Digits are manufacturer code
- Next five digits are serial number
- Last four digits are month and year for date of certification. This is not the model year, but the date the boat was made.

Alternatively another code was used between 72 an 84:

Example: ABC 12345 M73E
Last four digits indicate model year with last digit representing month made as follows

A - August          G - February
B - September       H - March
C - October        I - April
D - November        J - May
E - December        K - June
F - January        L - July

Boats made after 84 use the same code used today:

Example: ABC 12345 A900

First three - manufacturer code
Next five - serial number
Next letter - A through L, corresponding to January through December.
Next digit - Year boat was made
Last two digits - Model year of the boat.

Hope this helps.

BKH

Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2005 at 6:54pm
Andrew; I gotta vote for '80/'81 also. Except for the bow scoop, it looks alot like my '80. No matter what the year turns out to be you've got yourself one sweet ride.            BKH; Where do you keep all that info?! Hope the new job is goin' good....john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2005 at 7:14pm
The new serial stuff I knew.

For the older stuff, I looked it up a few months back when 75 Nautique had a serial numberquestion.

The internet is such a great tool for looking things up quickly.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew McBride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2005 at 9:57pm
Thanks BKH for the info. I am going to print that off and do some research.

I will post some more pics up around thanksgiving that way you can see the boat all together. As most of you know, I restore cars, but restoring this old boat has really been a great project and a learning experience.

I would defintely restore another boat if I ever find another CC. These boats are really designed well. I have gained a lot of respect for correct craft in their design and engineering. I think thats why we are all here and also why we still see these old boats cruising the lakes.
Andrew McBride
83' Ski Nautique
"Under Construction"
markb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2005 at 1:33am

Andrew,

1979 or 1983, it doesn't really matter..the important thing is the end result and whether you had a great time doing it.

From what I can see it looks really good and will look awesom on the water.

woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2005 at 8:59am
WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING AT IS A SKI TIQUE. WHICH IN 2001 TOOK OVER THE OLD 17'9 SKI NAUTIQUE. THEY PUT THE CUT ON THE CHINE TO HELP TO CUT DOWN ON THE SPRAY. LOOK AT THE LETTERS AT THE END OF THE SERIAL NUMBER. SHOULD HAVE ST THERE WHICH IS SKI TIQUE. THEY MADE THAT BOAT TILL 1984. HOPE THIS WILL HELP SETTLE THE QUESTION.
woodyelc
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew McBride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2005 at 2:06pm
Woody,

It may be so. Don't the Ski Tiques say Ski Tique on the side?

The reason I am confused is, I completely stripped the gel-coat off of this boat and it had the original factory painted Ski-Nautique graphics on the boat, and the rear, and had the exact same stuff as a Nautique. I will check the serial number when I return home, but I am not real sure that the boat is a Ski Tique.
Andrew McBride
83' Ski Nautique
"Under Construction"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew McBride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2005 at 2:35pm
Alright, I did a little looking around on the net. This boat right here is to the T of what mine looked liked. http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=444&sort=&pagenum=8&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980
(The boat on top) is the one I am reffering to. I wish I could see more pics of the rear of this boat. But the boat is a twin, with the exception my boat had factory painted Ski Nautique decals on the side.
I just called the original owner of the boat and she said the boat was a special factory boat. I am not real sure, what kind exactly, but I guess it is possible someone could have ordered the boat special with the Ski-Tique style fiberglass shell.
Andrew McBride
83' Ski Nautique
"Under Construction"
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2005 at 3:03pm
How long is it? the STique is only 16ft. and change....so I highly doubt that it's anything but a SN.

Check out this ref. section link:http://www.correctcraftfan.com/reference/1979_brochure/index.asp?page=09

If you look at the pics closely, first you wonder why referees wearing nut huggers are hanging out on the boat.....(gotta love the seventies).... but it looks like the same scoop in front, single plastic vent thing in the back (my 82 2001 has two), and the dash has a more pronounced 'hump' for the steering wheel than my rig....So I vote that it's a '79 SN.....

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew McBride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2005 at 1:26pm
It is 17 ft. 6" I believe. I know it was a bit over 17'
Andrew McBride
83' Ski Nautique
"Under Construction"
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2005 at 7:27pm
Woodyelc is right it has to be a Ski Tique (if it was built in '83)

If it was a Ski Nautique it would be just shy of 19ft.

Mystery solved.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic