Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

adding power to 86 ski nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Steve View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: adding power to 86 ski nautique
    Posted: October-17-2005 at 12:25am
Hello to all..

I have a 1986 Ski Nautique 2001 with a 351. I have added a Acme 540 prop (highly recommend), replaced the holley carb with an Edelbrock, added an electric fuel pump, and fine tuned the exhaust. I experimented with a Mallory high performance ignition system, I recommend against that.

The boat has plenty of power, but like every red blooded skier/footer, want more power. Was thinking of GT40 heads, Dual plane Edelbrock aluminum intake, and HEI ignition.

Any suggestions or comments?
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2005 at 3:59am
The GT40 heads and the Edelbrock intake are good upgrades but I've been unable to find an HEI distributor that fits a 351W that is approved for marine use. I experimented with an automotive HEI on my 88 Ski Centurion w/Indmar 351W. Even after getting the advance curve right, the engine still backfired through the carb and just wouldn't run right. Part throttle and mid range power were good, but when I got down on it hard, after about a minute or so, it would lose power and snort and pop through the carb. If you can find a marine HEI for your application, I'd say try it, otherwise don't waist your money. I went back to my Prestolite distributor w/Pertronix solid state ignitor. If you want to beef up your ignition, I'd go with a marine MSD unit and Blaster 3 coil. This will do away with your ballast resistor and boost your primary coil voltage up to about 200 volts. You'll be able to increase your plug gap to the .050 - .060" range. If you're going to take this route though, I'd highly recommend going with a premium set of 8mm plug wires and get a wire separator kit to keep your plug wires separated.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2005 at 8:10am
Good advice, one addenum,
Due to the low compression on these engines I'm running a plug gap of .075" with that combination with excellent results. At atmospheric pressure that combo can make the spark jump a 2" air gap or more.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2005 at 12:12pm
I have not seen a MSD marine distributor for a 351W, only Mallory, are you sure about the MSD marine, I've seen 351 C not W.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2005 at 9:47pm
The MSD unit that I'm speaking of is not a distributor. It is a capacitive discharge unit that works with your distributor and existing coil. Of course they sell their own coils like the Blaster 3 that I mentioned above. The marine unit that I spoke of is the 6M series. It's easy to recognize because it is blue where as the other 6 series units are red. Not sure what the full part number is but you can look that up on their website. There's lots of good information there and plenty of wiring diagrams to wire the MSD unit up to just about any ignition system you currently have.

Former boats:
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2005 at 11:01pm
If you're looking for a marine HEI distributor for a 351W check out:

http://www.performancedistributors.com

I've got one for my '79 SN 351W. It's a little spendy ($375 for the standard unit and $450 for RH rotation) but worth every penny in my opinion. I've used it for two season's and it's been great. They custom tune the advance curve to your engine specs.

As for intake manifolds be careful to watch your height. I have an Edelbrock Performer intake and I had to get a 1" shorter flame arrestor to get my motor cover to close completely. I know Edelbrock makes some other intakes that are quite a bit taller than the Performer

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2005 at 11:07pm
Thanks White! My previous searches for the HEI marine unit didn't come up with anything. Thanks again for the help!

Former boats:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic