NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A REALLY Stupid Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A REALLY Stupid Question
    Posted: October-10-2005 at 10:04pm
Has anyone ever heard of an oil pan with no drain plug?

I'd really like to install an oil drain kit on my '74 Mustang 17 (Waukesha 302), but I can't find the dang drain plug. I've felt all over the bottom of the pan, but I can't find it. Am I crazy? Any suggestions on where to find the thing?
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
Jerry View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2005 at 10:35pm
its in the back of teh oil pan. a real knucklebuster.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2005 at 10:47pm
Okay, there's a BUMP at the back of the oil pan, toward the bottom that feels like it's got six sides, but it's rounded over and feels like it's part of the oil pan. Is it possible that there's just not one? I know it seems crazy, but I've been all over this darn thing.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Jerry View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2005 at 10:58pm
Thats it. Its a real pain to get out.    
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2005 at 12:31am
How the heck do you get it out? It doesn't feel thick enough to even get a socket over it. It's more like a dent than a nut. I'm going to have to use a mirror and take a picture of this thing.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2005 at 8:24am
If you're stuck, use a PAL/PAR pump (JABSCO) with its dipstick tube adapter...there are two types, one for modern stern drives that has a garden-hose fitting for dipsticks that go to the bottom of the pan, and one for older engines like yours, with a thin gauge rigid plastic tube you snake down the dipstick tube. IF the oil is hot, it only takes 30-40 strokes.

like this..
http://www.iboats.com/products/16/38802_jabsco_little_pal_hand_pump.html
or this.
http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi?session_id=940380953&prod_id=38782&cart_id=916176192
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2005 at 9:45am
Yeah, I've got one of those already, but it would be nice if I could just drain it, rather than pump it out.

Thanks, everyone.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2005 at 3:05pm
Get a telescoping mirror , most auto parts places sell them stick it in there and take a good look at the back of the pan , it will be very tight to get to , You can buy a pump system that feeds thru the dipstick tube and sucks it out into a selfcontained 5 gal bucket
sells for little over $100 bucks at West Marine .
Good Luck ,
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic